997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intercooler Temps Stock Vs Modified

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Water inection before throttle, in combination with blown six intercoolers was working perfect in my ex GT2, I was running some times with 1,6 bar boost.
Water injection on the interooler works also fine for me I used both solution in my ex car.
It cost 14,5K euro because it's from Schmirler and I still think that it's too expensive for street car, you can have it for 1/3 price if you know where from ;-)
I know how much engines from Schmirler cost and I know that hi is one of the best in this are, my electronic guy is close with him.
The idea is to run on lowest possible boost you will eliminate all the problems with high temps.
How many users of this forum are running with this intercoolers?
I believe that you are happy owner ;-)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
Thank you for the link, but i didn't find anything for the 997tt

Old 09-26-2008, 03:34 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 997John
Thank you for the link, but i didn't find anything for the 997tt
\

maybe you are using some web solution like ironport s series that blocked this page.
it's working try again.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 AM
lintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond reputelintc0532 has a reputation beyond repute
\

maybe you are using some web solution like ironport s series that blocked this page.
it's working try again.
I guess he meant no 997tt intercoolers in their product listing?Only can see 996tt.but as long as I know the 996tt intercoolers are similer size as 997tt one.I bought a pair of agencypower 996tt intercooler for my 997tt and they fitted in by very few mods to the holder sockets and hosing.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM
yes, you can use it in 997 TT

Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 AM
997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all997John is a name known to all
Yes that's what i ment.

Thank you guys

Old 09-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997John
Yes that's what i ment.

Thank you guys
FYI, we've fitted ICs made for 996TT on 997TTs.

In our opinion, there is *a lot* of cutting involved to make it work. It can be done, but for the price, you really should expect more. This is a Porsche product. You shouldn't have to pay that money and hack up the OEM parts to make it fit. Also, 996TT hoses do not fit the 997TT.

That's why we designed a set of ICs specific to the 997TT. It's what a 997TT owner deserves.

Check out our installation instructions on this page of our site. Then compare them to the instructions from other brands.

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...ttintercoolers

And for the record, our dynamometer temp drop data was cross verified on the road course, so sufficient air was present. There is a big difference to be seen with aftermarket ICs at higher speeds and boost when you get over the 600hp level.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 09-26-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Todd/AWE
FYI, we've fitted ICs made for 996TT on 997TTs.

In our opinion, there is *a lot* of cutting involved to make it work. It can be done, but for the price, you really should expect more. This is a Porsche product. You shouldn't have to pay that money and hack up the OEM parts to make it fit. Also, 996TT hoses do not fit the 997TT.

That's why we designed a set of ICs specific to the 997TT. It's what a 997TT owner deserves.

Check out our installation instructions on this page of our site. Then compare them to the instructions from other brands.

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...ttintercoolers

And for the record, our dynamometer temp drop data was cross verified on the road course, so sufficient air was present. There is a big difference to be seen with aftermarket ICs at higher speeds and boost when you get over the 600hp level.
Todd,
Your site is the most informative of all with respect to these ICs.

If you dont mind me asking a cross brand question, how are your ICs different from the EVOMS Clubsport units?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
Todd,
Your site is the most informative of all with respect to these ICs.

Thanks for the kind words. We spend a considerable amount of time doing controlled testing and thorough design, so we like to share the background as much as possible with our potential clients.

Originally Posted by MBailey
If you dont mind me asking a cross brand question, how are your ICs different from the EVOMS Clubsport units?
Ok, this is a touchy subject as per the 6speed Terms Of Use instructions. Vendors are not supposed to make negative comments about other vendor products here, so what I'll try to do is give an honest, overall assessment of the Evo units based on our first hand experience with them. We have installed a few sets on cars here.

First, the Evo cores and end tanks are the same ones they sell for the 996TT. Because of that, a lot of grinding and cutting of the OEM 997TT brackets is required, as per the Evo instructions. Even after the bracket grinding and cutting, fitment is not optimum since the bracket mods can't be done precisely. Our cores are a direct drop in to the OEM brackets. We also have a modular pin system on our end tanks that allow the same cores to be installed on a 996TT by simply moving the pins to another threaded hole. Both Evo and our cores require the lip on the plastic inlet/outlet ducts to be trimmed because the cores are thicker than stock.

Second, the Evo hoses have some pretty sharp kinks in them instead of gradual bends. That resulted in ruptures after a few thousand miles of use on a local install car, requiring hose replacement under Evo's warranty. The Evo hoses also lack the locking ridge at their ends that helps keep them in place under boost. We replicated that ridge on our hoses. See this pic:

Third, the Evo cores we installed had lots of leaks in them. We pressure check all intercoolers here in our water dunk tank before installing, and the Evo units had lots of significant leaks in the cores. We were able to repair the leaks before install, but combined they added up to a few psi of lost pressure before fixing. Unfortunately, leaking cores is a very common occurence with a lot of aftermarket intercoolers, yet a few psi leak is never good. We pressure check all our cores to over 30psi to make sure they are leak free before they leave the building.

Fourth, the cores Evo uses are very good and do make the power temp drops they claim (as long as the leaks are sealed). Our cores are similar in dimension, but we use a more dense fin count on the pressure side for better heat exchange. Their end tanks are die cast and also a nice design that flows well.

I hope this gives an honest overview and the moderators do not have an issue with this post.

We are here to help.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:04 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I hope this gives an honest overview and the moderators do not have an issue with this post.

We are here to help.
Thanks Todd for your candor...

Old 09-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words. We spend a considerable amount of time doing controlled testing and thorough design, so we like to share the background as much as possible with our potential clients.

Ok, this is a touchy subject as per the 6speed Terms Of Use instructions. Vendors are not supposed to make negative comments about other vendor products here, so what I'll try to do is give an honest, overall assessment of the Evo units based on our first hand experience with them. We have installed a few sets on cars here.

First, the Evo cores and end tanks are the same ones they sell for the 996TT. Because of that, a lot of grinding and cutting of the OEM 997TT brackets is required, as per the Evo instructions. Even after the bracket grinding and cutting, fitment is not optimum since the bracket mods can't be done precisely. Our cores are a direct drop in to the OEM brackets. We also have a modular pin system on our end tanks that allow the same cores to be installed on a 996TT by simply moving the pins to another threaded hole. Both Evo and our cores require the lip on the plastic inlet/outlet ducts to be trimmed because the cores are thicker than stock.

Second, the Evo hoses have some pretty sharp kinks in them instead of gradual bends. That resulted in ruptures after a few thousand miles of use on a local install car, requiring hose replacement under Evo's warranty. The Evo hoses also lack the locking ridge at their ends that helps keep them in place under boost. We replicated that ridge on our hoses. See this pic:

Third, the Evo cores we installed had lots of leaks in them. We pressure check all intercoolers here in our water dunk tank before installing, and the Evo units had lots of significant leaks in the cores. We were able to repair the leaks before install, but combined they added up to a few psi of lost pressure before fixing. Unfortunately, leaking cores is a very common occurence with a lot of aftermarket intercoolers, yet a few psi leak is never good. We pressure check all our cores to over 30psi to make sure they are leak free before they leave the building.

Fourth, the cores Evo uses are very good and do make the power temp drops they claim (as long as the leaks are sealed). Our cores are similar in dimension, but we use a more dense fin count on the pressure side for better heat exchange. Their end tanks are die cast and also a nice design that flows well.

We are here to help.
I would like to test it at Manthey racing dyno.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor
I would like to test it at Manthey racing dyno.

Are you asking us to send you a set for free to do your test?

We're not willing to do that, but you can purchase a set and we will gladly refund your (or anyone's) purchase price if they do not work as advertised.

If you would like to place an order, feel free to PM me.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I think that would be the best possible advertisement for you but I'm sorry I'm not interested to pay for that.
I have water cooled system and I don't need your coolers now.
You heard about Olaf Manthey and his racing team? Try to contact him, if your coolers are good as you say so I think you will find a lot of buyers in Germany. Good luck!

Last edited by 997 GT3 RS/TT; 09-26-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:59 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Manthey Racing uses a MAHA dyno, so AWE could just find a MAHA facility here in the states. Problem solved. But they don't need to, because most of their customers look for different things and believe in Dynojet and Mustang numbers. I have no doubt it works well for its price, probably just as well as the blown six stuff or better.

I doubt Olaf Manthey needs an American company to teach him how to make intercoolers. He is doing just fine, and like I said, in Germany they have guys like Schirmler who use only the best cores like SECAN.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
B6 works perfect here!

Switzer would be awesome choice also.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Temps Stock Vs Modified