997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intercooler Temps Stock Vs Modified

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
Hi,

I tested performance intercoolers on 997 GT2 at Manthey racing dyno.
We measured 8C lower temp in intake system and 10PS more compering to the stock ones.Hope this would help.
Cheers, Karol
Karol, what was the pressure drop across the cooler, did you measure it? With pressure drops, the car will have to compensate with more boost, which will in turn increase heat gradually, and then heat soak.

Olaf's dyno testing is very good and puts very reasonable load on the engines, but it still is not an engine dyno operated by Shmirler or the factory for that matter.

For most people who drive on the street or do the occasional track day it will not make a difference and they will see improved performance, for people who race turbocharged cars all bets are off.

You can get Secan for less than those amounts. There are some alternatives to Secan as well, that are not as good, but good enough if you are not into 2 hour enduros in Dubai...But prices are certainly not below 5k USD!

Old 09-28-2008, 02:25 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jean
You can get Secan for less than those amounts. There are some alternatives to Secan as well, that are not as good, but good enough if you are not into 2 hour enduros in Dubai...But prices are certainly not below 5k USD!
Or 24 Hours on the Nurburgring. If it's good enough for the record-setting Alzen 996 Turbo, it's good enough for my car.

I just don't get why most Americans don't understand how cool (no pun intended) those Secan intercoolers are. Or why RS Tuning's engine builds are so much better than the junk engines built here.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
I think that would be the best possible advertisement for you but I'm sorry I'm not interested to pay for that.
I have water cooled system and I don't need your coolers now.
You heard about Olaf Manthey and his racing team? Try to contact him, if your coolers are good as you say so I think you will find a lot of buyers in Germany. Good luck!
Manthey do not have a single racing car that uses intercoolers...!!
They are all RSR, CUP or Gt3 based.

Also the numbers of their MAHA do not convince me. Neither the air circulation, nor the 2 rolls per axle. Also they have a huge correction factor due to the height of their location of 500 meter above sea level.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:59 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jean
Karol, what was the pressure drop across the cooler, did you measure it? With pressure drops, the car will have to compensate with more boost, which will in turn increase heat gradually, and then heat soak.

Olaf's dyno testing is very good and puts very reasonable load on the engines, but it still is not an engine dyno operated by Shmirler or the factory for that matter.

For most people who drive on the street or do the occasional track day it will not make a difference and they will see improved performance, for people who race turbocharged cars all bets are off.

this is what I wrote, who need this IC for street use?
I think B6 are fine with 8C drop compering to the price.
We all know that the Secan is the best, but which coolers are best for street use in reasonable price?
What Todd is offering?

Guys, for example, yesterday Warsaw outside temp was 14C, I measured my max intake temp 32C during 0-250km/h acceleration, I think is not so bad.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:01 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RS38
Manthey do not have a single racing car that uses intercoolers...!!
They are all RSR, CUP or Gt3 based.

Also the numbers of their MAHA do not convince me. Neither the air circulation, nor the 2 rolls per axle. Also they have a huge correction factor due to the height of their location of 500 meter above sea level.
His private 997 GT2 with high intake temp problem and egt also.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
this is what I wrote, who need this IC for street use?
I think B6 are fine with 8C drop compering to the price.
We all know that the Secan is the best, but which coolers are best for street use in reasonable price?
What Todd is offering?

Guys, for example, yesterday Warsaw outside temp was 14C, I measured my max intake temp 32C during 0-250km/h acceleration, I think is not so bad.
Our IC design came out of our 750R turbo kit development. Even with the 996 GT2/X51 style ICs that the 997TT has stock, they were not sufficient in keep the intake temps cool enough past the 650hp mark. We have even seen improvements at the 600hp mark with our ICs vs stock.

While we may not have done a 24hr race with these ICs, we have done extensive logging during summer temps on road courses. I am a nationally certified PCA instructor, so the car was driven very hard during all test sessions.

After a 20 minute run sesssion, enough data is collected to extrapolate how an IC system would perform over 24hrs. Heat soak is more than accounted for. Dyno data is not sufficient alone when doing IC development, and we always verify our dyno data against street and track use.

Plus, unlike a 996TT based IC systems, our ICs are plug and play for the 997TT. Since most 997TT owners are not hard core racers, this is an important point. You should not have to chop your car apart just because the IC makers are trying to avoid making a proper design for your car and are trying to pass off one made for an older model. That is just not right.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Todd/AWE
Our IC design came out of our 750R turbo kit development. Even with the 996 GT2/X51 style ICs that the 997TT has stock, they were not sufficient in keep the intake temps cool enough past the 650hp mark. We have even seen improvements at the 600hp mark with our ICs vs stock.

While we may not have done a 24hr race with these ICs, we have done extensive logging during summer temps on road courses. I am a nationally certified PCA instructor, so the car was driven very hard during all test sessions.

After a 20 minute run sesssion, enough data is collected to extrapolate how an IC system would perform over 24hrs. Heat soak is more than accounted for. Dyno data is not sufficient alone when doing IC development, and we always verify our dyno data against street and track use.

Plus, unlike a 996TT based IC systems, our ICs are plug and play for the 997TT. Since most 997TT owners are not hard core racers, this is an important point. You should not have to chop your car apart just because the IC makers are trying to avoid making a proper design for your car and are trying to pass off one made for an older model. That is just not right.

Ok, for the future.
If I decide to have a car with the air intakes in fenders I will test yours Ic