997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Would you trade your 997TT for a ZR1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
^Get a ZR1 TX. The most stock one's have dyno'd at currently sits at 571 whp, on pump gas! With minor upgrades you should easily hit 700 whp, reliably. That's impressive. You really can't beat that package. The only thing I don't like about, other than what I've aforementioned is the ridiculous markup.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 PM
IXIXVII is infamous around these parts
No,nope,nah,nay & No Way!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
I went thru my vette phase after college.

Chevy in lieu of Porsche?

Never Happen

Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Let me put it this way...I walked away from a deposit on a Z06 back in '05 and got my Boxster S instead...and never had any second thoughts. I can list a few cars that I gave close consideration to before deciding on the turbo, but the ZR1 is not one of them. Like the GT-R, it may be fast but it just doesn't interest me.

On a side note, when I went shopping for the Z06 a few years ago, the salesmen at the Chevy dealership wouldn't give me the time of day. I've never seen a bigger group of stuck-up-for-no-reason fools. In contrast, the guys at the BMW/Porsche dealership, from whom I've now bought several cars, have always been very helpful and have bent over backwards to get me the cars I wanted. I wouldn't subject myself to buying the ZR1 or taking it in for service.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 PM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
I think the Z06 looks a lot better than the ZR1. I'm not sure how you would put 600+ hp to the ground in that car. I wouldn't trade either for a TT, but I sure would like to have a Z06 and a TT.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:58 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
I can't believe that there are so manny posts about the GT-R and hardly a peep about the ZR1 in comparison to the 997TT.

I would love to get my hands on a ZR1.

Would I trade.. Oh probably. I had a Vette before the turbo, I put a blower on it and moded it up a bit. Sure, it was not as refined as the turbo but it was allot of fun and can be made to go like stink.
Hope you're kidding. Trade a proven-refined sports car with outstanding acceleration, styling, road performance, resale value and gas mileage (gaining more importance now) for a vehicle that can claim only brute acceleration, extremely poor mileage, crappy boy racer/back woodman image and nothing else. Absolutely not.....come on, that is what is called an obvious no-brainer. You can try putting lipstick (SCed HP) on a vette, but it is still a vette.

Last edited by johnww; 09-26-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:48 PM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnww
Hope you're kidding. Trade a proven-refined sports car with outstanding acceleration, styling, road performance, resale value and gas mileage (gaining more importance now) for a vehicle that can claim only brute acceleration, extremely poor mileage, crappy boy racer/back woodman image and nothing else. Absolutely not.....come on, that is what is called an obvious no-brainer. You can try putting lipstick (SCed HP) on a vette, but it is still a vette.
You won't find a car with this much performance that gives you anywhere near the mpg that the Vette does. Not sure about the C6, but I often got 28-29 mpg highway in my C5 Z06.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Hell NO!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:08 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by PbPedis
You won't find a car with this much performance that gives you anywhere near the mpg that the Vette does. Not sure about the C6, but I often got 28-29 mpg highway in my C5 Z06.

Driving around town is key, what I have seen in my previous vettes is 10-14 at best with mild fast/furious driving. In my 6th gear in my tt at 55, I'll get >35, around town 20-21 with strong fast/furious driving. But burning gas is just one issue, but an issue that is sure raising its ugly head lately.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
Zr1 is a waste of money. A good old C6 twin-turbo would destroy it for half the price and look 95% the same. $120k for a corvette is even crazier than $80k for a Nissan... what is the world coming to? Slapping a supercharger on a Z06 does not justify a $50k premium in no way shape or form. This is a desperate attempt to milk their vette customers before they finally realize how silly ZR1 is. I wouldn't be surprised if they released an 800hp twin-turbo ZR2 with $180k MSRP in two years ! And maybe a 1000hp quad-turbo version a year later for $250k

Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by johnww
Nothing else? You must have your head under a rock. Have you any idea what your talking about? Do you know anything about this car?

If you want to get specific pick a specification that the that the 997TT excels at over the ZR1? Gas mileage... That's about it and not by much.

Acceleration
Breaking
Top speed
Weight
Handling
Price
Amenities
Warranty

The ZR1 wins in every category. Heck. Take a GT2 or a CGT and put it up against the ZR1 and the results come out nearly the same. And even though you may not care for the look you would be in the minority on that as well.

Your clearly in denial.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:28 PM
bbj 512 is infamous around these parts
TX TURBO, I disagree with you when you said that the ZR1 would beat any production porsche on any track. I think the GT Carrera and 2009 GT2 would have the ZR1 for Lunch !!! I would like to hear other opinions.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:24 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by bbj 512
TX TURBO, I disagree with you when you said that the ZR1 would beat any production porsche on any track. I think the GT Carrera and 2009 GT2 would have the ZR1 for Lunch !!! I would like to hear other opinions.
You must live under a rock as well.

The ZR1 has already posted a lap of the Nurburgring in 7:26, faster than ANY production Porsche including the CGT and GT2.

Right now every car magazine on the planet is testing the ZR1 and I can assure you that they will line it up with every exotic car that they can find. There will be very few that can beat it. This car will push Porsche to build a better preforming car.

Just look at the thing on paper:

3300 LBS
638HP
604LBS Torque
10 inch twin plate clutch
Brembo 15.5 inch Ceramic brakes in the front similar to the FFX
Brembo 15 inch Ceramic brakes in the back similar to the Enzo's front
Magnetic Selective Ride Control suspension, pioneered by Delphi and used on the Ferrari 599
Aluminum frame
Carbon fiber fenders, hood, roof, splitter, and rocker extensions
100,000 mile power train warranty

The car is sick.

Last edited by TXTurbo; 09-27-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
Nothing else? You must have your head under a rock. Have you any idea what your talking about? Do you know anything about this car?

If you want to get specific pick a specification that the that the 997TT excels at over the ZR1? Gas mileage... That's about it and not by much.

Acceleration
Breaking
Top speed
Weight
Handling
Price
Amenities
Warranty

The ZR1 wins in every category. Heck. Take a GT2 or a CGT and put it up against the ZR1 and the results come out nearly the same. And even though you may not care for the look you would be in the minority on that as well.

Your clearly in denial.
Yeah right. I have had plenty of vettes. I finally gave up on the product. They're improving some, but not that much. Every time a dated-vette product is discussed on this board, some impolite adolescent with rocks in his skull has got to shoot his mouth off. Take your brain-rock comments to a vette board where such low life statements are expected and apprciated.

Last edited by johnww; 09-27-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by David9962000
...on the ZR1 ... they use chicken leather for the seats.
Is this true? I've never heard of it. OMG. Why do I find it disgusting? Please share a source with us.

I've got to check this out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you trade your 997TT for a ZR1?