997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Would you trade your 997TT for a ZR1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by johnww
Yeah right. I have had plenty of vettes. I finally gave up on the product. They're improving some, but not that much. Every time a dated-vette product is discussed on this board, some impolite adolescent with rocks in his skull has got to shoot his mouth off. Take your brain-rock comments to a vette board where such low life statements are expected and apprciated.
What? No substantive response?

Improving some but not much?

A dated product? It's literally weeks on the street.

I have had vettes and own 2 Porsches at the moment. The ZR1 clearly out preforms any current production Porsche. Without a doubt the Porsche is a very nice product but did you buy it for performance first or for the badge?

Old 09-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Aw, come on guys. We're all car guys, we live under cars, not rocks.

Anyway, the ZR1 is a performance beast. Truly amazing. Would I spend 100k on one? Nope. Probably wouldn't spend 50k for a ZR1. Just not the car for me. No doubt it would spank my *** (with a good driver) on the track, but I just couldn't bring myself to put it in the garage. THere are so many other cars I'd rather have for that money. Here's a few:

Lotus Exige
Porsche 996 Turbo
Porsche 993 Turbo
Ferrari 360 Modena (ok, it's close enough to 100k)
Radical
Noble M400
Viper GTS-R (100 made)
The list goes on....

Only one has an engine in the "right" place. It's just not my style to want a front engined car. That Viper has a personal story, only reason it is there. Don't get me wrong the Vette is pretty sweet, just not the car for some.

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 09-27-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:13 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Honestly I am a gear head first and foremost.. I could give a crap what the badge says.

I like the car for what it has technology wise and what it's capable of.

My point to this thread was that there seems to be little talk about this car and all kinds of talk about the 997TT vs the GT-R.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 AM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
nope!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:34 PM
lavey2750 is infamous around these parts
The Zr1 is a vehicle that is absolutely amazing. If it had a different badge on it there would be a very different overall out look on the car. When i think of a corvette i think of a middle aged man with gold chains, too bad its back ground hinders its ability. Check out the nuremberg video the acceleration and road holding ability is outstanding. I am a die hard Porsche fan but i will admit i am impressed.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:05 AM
clay997tt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
I can't believe that there are so manny posts about the GT-R and hardly a peep about the ZR1 in comparison to the 997TT.
April Fools Day is more 180 days from now!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:37 AM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
I would trade my 1986 Chevy pickup for a ZR1 but not my Turbo or my GT2. The ZR1 is VERY quick but it still is a plastic Chevrolet. Looks like a pimp car with those chrome wheels--a fast *** pimpmobile I might add. Also I would like to participate in an acceleration contest with a ZR1 with either my TT or My GT2. I know the ZR1 will beat my 86 Chevy truck.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by turbodickie
I would trade my 1986 Chevy pickup for a ZR1 but not my Turbo or my GT2. The ZR1 is VERY quick but it still is a plastic Chevrolet. Looks like a pimp car with those chrome wheels--a fast *** pimpmobile I might add. Also I would like to participate in an acceleration contest with a ZR1 with either my TT or My GT2. I know the ZR1 will beat my 86 Chevy truck.
I would like to watch that. Take your cars to the Texas Mile.

Yes, it's true! They do use chicken leather. Only from the roosters.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:30 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Forgot to answer. NO! I would own one for a while for fun, but a Vette becomes a Chevy real fast if you drive them very much. There is simply no comparison in quality under any remove circumstance. I've had em both and you definitely get what you pay for. I know Chevy tries hard and makes good performance for the money, but after that they just don't get it.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:41 AM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
I've spent a lot of time around Vettes, been to two Corvette Forum Cruise-In's in Bowling Green...followed Dave Hill on a cruise...driven C2 thru C6 Z...modded a C5 Z to 630hp, owned a C6...they are not the same car as a Porsche. Are they a good value? Sure they are, and until you have driven a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo you would know no different. It's kinda like saying Yellow Tail is great bang for your buck, why would you need to drink Grange?

No way I would trade, just not the same. Only a Porsche owner would understand...

Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Sabre002 is infamous around these parts
Wow I cant believe the misinformation that fly’s around here about the ZR1 does anyone other then TX base this off real info or just the BS that people keep spreading? Currently the only car the beats the ZR1 around the track that is a production car is the ACR Viper on R comps.

The guys talking about leaf springs on then vett. The same could be said about the motor being the rear of the 911. We both know it may not be the best design, but they have engineered ways around it. Face it we both know it can be made to work.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I am sure that if you just got a GT2 thinking that your king of the hill it must hurt thinking that a Vette (chicken leathered, plastic, Chevy POS piloted by a gold chain wearing disco king) could beat you in a straight line, round a track and be a fraction of the price.

The "you wouldn't understand, it's a quality thing, wait till I do this mod" cheap shot Chevy is crap responses are all that can be said.

Give credit where credit is due... The engineers at GM accomplished a heroic feat bringing this kind of car into the marketplace. The technology, performance and durability (if you measure it by the warranty) are superior.

In the end it's a great thing for Porsche fans (myself included) because I know that the next performance bump for the 911 will be a whopper.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
th3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of light
^Exactly. The ZR1 is meant to compete with the GT2 and so forth as far as numbers go, but as far as quality... just look at the price. Throw in some new seats and new wheels, end of story. ZR1 is badass, but I'd still keep my Z06 and get a TT/GT3 before I dropped the cash for a ZR1.

that said, I'm fine with my cars for now.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Sabre002 is infamous around these parts
the Best part is when the car shows up to a track day I bet nothing but good things will be said about it running right around a 911.

I have yet to meet someone in person at a track day that has something bad to say about my LS1/RX7, but over the net its all the same misinformation like oh you killed that car it will never handle right yada yada yada.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 PM
The interior quality and construction technique are not as great as Porsche but it's not inferior. This is really what your paying for with the Porsche.

If you look at the long term reliability the Vette and the 911 are neck and neck.

With my C6 Vette I found some paint runs on the bottom of the doors, construction adhesive oozing out of some panels under the car and such. This was one of the first C6's built but I doubt that the quality has changed that much.

My 977TT is basically flawless in it's construction but my CTT has been to the shop many times.

In reality the Vette is more than good enough. I also know that they are inspecting the crap out of the ZR1 as it comes down the assembly line so hopefully it will be a cut above. It's treated to a bit higher standard than the run of the mill C6. With the Porsche each and every car is treated the same.

Do you get what you pay for? I think that the GT2 is way over priced, it should be just a bit more than the TT but your getting whacked for the limited availability. If you look at the base price between the TT and the GT2 the upgraded components cost very little more than the standard components on the TT. Then you can deduct the price of AWD system, rear seats exct. They charge more for less. With the ZR1, Z06 and Z51 you get allot more for your money as you go up the line.

I will keep both for a while.... My wife insisted on it and who the F am I to argue with her? I have no chance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you trade your 997TT for a ZR1?