997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Would you trade your 997TT for a ZR1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:48 PM
father&sons is infamous around these parts
Smile

It would be like trading my girls weekly issue of victoria secrets for a copy of national review

Old 09-28-2008, 07:38 PM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
If you look at the base price between the TT and the GT2 the upgraded components cost very little more than the standard components on the TT. .
The TT & GT2 feel nothing the same...

Old 09-28-2008, 07:40 PM
I also know that they are inspecting the crap out of the ZR1 as it comes down the assembly line so hopefully it will be a cut above. It's treated to a bit higher standard than the run of the mill C6. With the Porsche each and every car is treated the same.
Have you been to the plant to see this?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:05 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Just heard about it from members of the vette forum but who knows for sure.
I will go to the factory to pick up my car and get a tour of the plant and see for myself.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Just heard about it from members of the vette forum but who knows for sure.
I will go to the factory to pick up my car and get a tour of the plant and see for myself.
The plant makes every car, C6, Z, ZR1 & XLR all the same. The union moves in slow motion...they should put out 3x the amount of cars at least. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Vettes line...just no difference when a ZR1 will be fitted between everything else.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:18 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
I don't own either. But, IMO a Porsche for a Chevy is like going from a Lexus to a Kia. No way in hell!

Old 09-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
I am sure that if you just got a GT2 thinking that your king of the hill it must hurt thinking that a Vette (chicken leathered, plastic, Chevy POS piloted by a gold chain wearing disco king) could beat you in a straight line, round a track and be a fraction of the price.

The "you wouldn't understand, it's a quality thing, wait till I do this mod" cheap shot Chevy is crap responses are all that can be said.

Give credit where credit is due... The engineers at GM accomplished a heroic feat bringing this kind of car into the marketplace. The technology, performance and durability (if you measure it by the warranty) are superior.

In the end it's a great thing for Porsche fans (myself included) because I know that the next performance bump for the 911 will be a whopper.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I might add that, as a Porsche fan first and foremost, I'll never stop posting my hopes that Porsche will up the ante with the next gen 911 & CGT replacement. With today's political / economic climate, I have little hope. We'll see...

I love the ZR1, and I'm glad it exists. Same goes for the GT-R. If nothing else - to push Porsche, Ferrari & Lamborghini to build even more capable cars. We already know the Europeans & Japanese build better cars than the 'Vette, but that doesn't mean I don't want the ZR1 any less.

Would I trade a TT for a ZR1? Yes. Would I trade a GT2? Nope, but I'd be doing a lot of thinking about it beforehand. Fact is that the ZR1 will probably own them both on any given racetrack. That is a tough fact to swallow, when you look at the price/technology/build quality of a CGT.

I'm sure if Ferrari builds a true replacement to the Enzo(the kind we all want-not a "watered down" eco version of the car) it'll beat the ZR1. But they'll probably charge $1 - 1.5 million or more for it. It all comes down to what you consider a good "value" for you money - performance wise.

Last edited by Zeus; 09-28-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:50 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Vettes are pieces of junk no matter how fast they are. Same goes to every American car. I've owned a C5 Z06 and drove it for 1000kms sold it and never looked back and never even 2nd looked any American car since. Hell, I'd drive a GTR over the Vette any day of the year. You can give me a free ZR1 and I'd tell you to save it. To me money is not an object and I don't buy cars cause of the badge. I only live once and I wouldn't choose to live 1 second in a cheapass chevy.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
By the way, I don't mean disrespect to any vette lovers. I'm just expressing my 0.02.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 AM
Former Vendor
honeybadger is infamous around these parts
While the Corvette has a really nice exhaust tone... the Porsche engines still have a much more exotic (interesting) tone that just does it for me

Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
Vettes are pieces of junk no matter how fast they are. Same goes to every American car. I've owned a C5 Z06 and drove it for 1000kms sold it and never looked back and never even 2nd looked any American car since. Hell, I'd drive a GTR over the Vette any day of the year. You can give me a free ZR1 and I'd tell you to save it. To me money is not an object and I don't buy cars cause of the badge. I only live once and I wouldn't choose to live 1 second in a cheapass chevy.
The ZR1 is light years different than a C5 Z06..

Your a clear example of the American car problem. Even though there are American cars that have improved drastically you won't set foot in one because of your previous experience. Who could blame you? The American auto manufactures have stumbled there way through the past 30 years building rental cars and pick up trucks. Now that they are fighting for there existence they need to turn out great products or die. So they kick out the ZR1 and even though you don't want to look at it it can't be denied that it's a stellar piece of automotive engineering. Same goes for the Cadillac CTS-V and the Chevy Malibu. They had to start at the top and work there way down rebuilding confidence. Unfortunately it may be too little too late. I think that there going to close up many dealerships in the next 12 months and cut the bleeding.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 AM
2 of my buddies are picking up a ZR1 each within the next month. I will give it a try and see if the grape have turn in to wine.

Your a clear example of the American car problem. Even though there are American cars that have improved drastically you won't set foot in one because of your previous experience. Who could blame you? The American auto manufactures have stumbled there way through the past 30 years building rental cars and pick up trucks. Now that they are fighting for there existence they need to turn out great products or die. So they kick out the ZR1 and even though you don't want to look at it it can't be denied that it's a stellar piece of automotive engineering. Same goes for the Cadillac CTS-V and the Chevy Malibu. They had to start at the top and work there way down rebuilding confidence. Unfortunately it may be too little too late. I think that there going to close up many dealerships in the next 12 months and cut the bleeding.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 AM

The C6 is way better then a C5 but not comparable in fit & finish over a 997.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of

I think he is a clear example of a guy who has an opinion and a right to have it. I don't think I have seen him get his panties in a wad either. We can all love Porsches or love Vettes and hate the other as well. Either way, we get that opinion. My opinion is that the performance of the Vette is paramount, and then it stops right there. That is not the case with a Porsche, so I choose to give them my money. On the other hand, I won't trash your opinion, but congratulate you on your ZR1 purchase and choice.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
i hope it is a lot better than the Z06. i had a 2007 Z06, put 300 miles on it, and sold it. i just found myself wanting to drive the 997 Turbo when i walked into the garage and had to pick a car to drive for the day!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you trade your 997TT for a ZR1?