997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PSS10 or KW HLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 AM
trensing is infamous around these parts
PSS10 or KW HLS

My new turbo should be here in January and after reading the disappointment with the stock suspension, what is the best suspension. I do like a hard feel like a GT3RS on sport,Iwould like to lower it also and I will track the car only about 5 or 6 events per year. The Turbo I ordered will have the Porsche Aerokit and after having the GT3 aerokit on my 997 C4S, I have wiped out the front lip spoiler 3 times and it is not lowered. The aprons to the gas stations, resturants and parking garages in Florida are made for SUV clearances. Your opinoions? I want my cake and eat it too.

Tom

Old 09-25-2008, 06:01 AM
Banned
997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all
pss10 is the way to go.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Tom. PSS10 seems to be the predominant favorite. Hard to beat Bilstein build quality and reputation.

I have them in stock if interested. Feel free to call me if you would like to discuss.

Regards.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
why don't you try the stock suspension with a good alignment first?

Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Ditch PASM, buy Motons with custon rate springs!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Bah - don't listen to Bobby. He is a GT-R fan...

Old 09-25-2008, 06:05 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Bah - don't listen to Bobby. He is a GT-R fan...
Shhhh...don't tell anyone.

Sexy body style, elegant interior design, lightweight body...catches the attention of all the ladies!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL where did u find these :P

Old 09-26-2008, 09:09 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Bobby personally took them! They are his GTR GIRLZ...

See that mini-bike behind the pink bombshell? That's Bobby's real ride...

GTR MINXS FOR LIFE!!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:13 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
bbywu: Too funny!!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Ditch PASM, buy Motons with custon rate springs!
+1. PASM is a waste. Get some Motons or JRZ's for real performance.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I run the JIC Cross on my 997TT. I have run them on SEVERAL of my own personal cars including a 996C2 and 996TT. The JIC Cross include front camber plates and rear pillowball mounts. The kit is 16 way adjustable dampening and adjustable ride height. It is more aggressive then a PSS10. The downfall is that the JIC Cross is not PASM compatible, so you have to disable. Read about the Install and Work Here.

Now the PSS10 we have done alot of them and many 6speeders cars here. The PSS10 is a great street coilover. It definitely improves the ride to feel like you have the PASM stiff setting on all the time. Bilstein PSS10 works with the PASM system. However once you have the coilovers on, you really begin to enjoy the stiff setting for improved handling. I think the PSS10 handle quite nice on the street as they are tentatively softer. Part of this is because they retain the factory rubber strut tops. If you plan on doing some hardcore tracking, skip these. Read here and see pics of a 997TT with PSS10.

As far as KW goes, I have only been in some of the JDM cars with KW Variant 3. The main one was a STI. The were extremely similar to the Bilstein as they had a buttery smooth ride on the street. I know that the new KW which has the ride height adjustment for cars on the fly is pretty cool, however I think unless you live in an environment that you need this feature, I would skip it.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:52 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
KW HLS with the V3 shock is on a whole other level than PSS-10. It is a double adjustable shock, so the range of setups isn't even close.

HLS will also work with a variety of other shock setups... it's a very cool feature. PSS-10 is cool, but really it's very entry level.

JIC is low cost, but it's not something I would ever put on my vehicle.

Motons are a popular choice here, but you need to have a good suspension engineer to setup the shocks properly, same as the KW v3.

However, you would be surprised at the number of winning race teams that use KW race shocks, including some of the top teams in FIA GT and ALMS.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:09 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hello Hamann,

Thanks for the summary. I saw some of your other posts as well; you seem to have very good knowledge of various mods!

Why did you say that about JIC Cross? Just curious, I am already a happy Bilstein owner.

When I was looking to replace the stock Turbo's pathetic coilovers, I was aware that there are much more advanced systems than the Bilstein PSS10 like Motons, JRZ, etc. I also saw a thread on rennlist's GT3 forum I think, where various people were discussing, agreeing, disagreeing, etc., about a seeminlgy very basic question of which way to go on rebound and compression rates when you change to stiffer springs. My conclusion at the time is unless you are an advanced level and experienced driver, and unless you have an advanced level and experienced shop who knows how to deal with amateurs, best to stick with something simple & preset like Bilstein. Fair assessment to you?

Also I thought it should also be pointed out, not for you of course , but other "starters" like me, that for street level driving, which I assume to be 90% plus of owners here, the Bilstein sping rates are for me the upper limit already of what I consider tolerable for, for example, Los Angeles freeways where I drive. Stiffer springs of more agressive sytems are nice, but nothing comes free as ride will suffer as handling improves.

But I agree, if the Turbo is a weekend car or if you are to take it to the track often, the more advanced and stiffer systems are nice!

Originally Posted by Hamann7
KW HLS with the V3 shock is on a whole other level than PSS-10. It is a double adjustable shock, so the range of setups isn't even close.

HLS will also work with a variety of other shock setups... it's a very cool feature. PSS-10 is cool, but really it's very entry level.

JIC is low cost, but it's not something I would ever put on my vehicle.

Motons are a popular choice here, but you need to have a good suspension engineer to setup the shocks properly, same as the KW v3.

However, you would be surprised at the number of winning race teams that use KW race shocks, including some of the top teams in FIA GT and ALMS.

Last edited by cannga; 09-28-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I think for the street, the PSS10's are more than enough. It does what Porsche should of done from the factory.

I wanted something more aggressive and a setup I can adjust for track use. I chose to go with a JRZ RS setup with Hyper Coil Springs with corner balance and an aggressive alignment. My impression of the setup? It handles like it's on rails!