997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GMG SWAYS vs. H&R sways

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Echo what Fab says, his bars are significantly stiffer/more rigid than stock and probably HR too. There is really no comparison imo. Extremely noticeable in a high powered car on a long road course. I was literally running with the cup cars the last time I was at the glen, the gmg suspension components are THAT good.
All the gmg stuff is high end race fabricated, yes it's a bit more, but oh so worth it!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
SoCalCFP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Echo what Fab says, his bars are significantly stiffer/more rigid than stock and probably HR too. There is really no comparison imo. Extremely noticeable in a high powered car on a long road course. I was literally running with the cup cars the last time I was at the glen, the gmg suspension components are THAT good.
All the gmg stuff is high end race fabricated, yes it's a bit more, but oh so worth it!
what other suspension mods are your running? my turbo arrives in a couple of weeks or so. i was looking at sway bars, maybe coil overs. what is the recommendation?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Depends on your intended use. For pure 100% street/no track I would keep it stock with a good alignment. These cars have a very wide variation in alignment from the factory. You can get them to redo the alignment for free within the first 2000 miles.
For occassional track use, that depends on how fast you run and if you use R compounds, hoosiers etc. It can run the gammut from stone cold stock to springs to sways to coilovers++.
For example I like to keep it simple and I run the Champion springs with an aggressive alignment on R compounds and/or Hoosiers in the fast solo run group at the track. This combo worked pretty damn good for me, the car felt very planted with no excessive bounce or dive. Only a slight amount of push on certain turns. I'm thinking about a set of GT2 sways to cure this, or at least dial some of the understeer out.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 PM
i would think occasional track use only. i would like to lower the car a bit, so i would need springs or coil overs. what do the springs do vs coil overs? the alignment sounds good for sure. i hear some people to different alignments for track use. what tires offer the best for street and track use?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
In your case I would just do springs, I think the gmg's are the best with only a 20mm drop.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 AM
ok sounds good. gmg is local for me. i was looking at their exhaust as well.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I ended up doing the whole 9 yrds, gmg springs/sways/dog bones/solid thrust bushings/toe links/ cup trailing arms, etc. Probably springs and sways will give you 90% of that with a lot better ride. I like the gmg springs bc they are not an overly aggressive drop and are custom designed, work really well with your pasm too.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:52 PM
this is the route i will probably go. i assume the springs improve the handling, besides just lowering?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Oh yes!
Check out their webpage on the advertisers index on the right, very informative.>

Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
thanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Roller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
excusive design and product...
Does this mean it comes with flowers for the wife?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:15 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
So beast thing to do if you go 2-3 time s yeat to track is lowering springs and swaybars ???

Old 10-31-2008, 08:50 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I would leave it stock and see how it goes. I like the springs at the track, others like the coil overs. There are guys here online with full coilover setups who never see the track, to each his own.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
I dont want stock I need to lower the car anyways...+ I would like the benefit of improved handling...so if the best solution overall amd money wise ???

Thanks

Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
If you ask the many reputable installers (who don't sell or make springs ) to the right of this thread, 9.9 out of 10 will say if money is not an issue, coilover is the way to go.

While lowering springs cost much less than coilover, the money saved IMO should NOT be the primary consideration. This is a 140k car, why try to save 1500 on such a critical componnent?

For coilovers, there are different versions you could use. Bilstein is the one that would fit your description. It's made *mainly* for street, very occasional track. For more "serious" application, then there are choices such as Motons, JRZ, etc.

Originally Posted by GT RUS
I dont want stock I need to lower the car anyways...+ I would like the benefit of improved handling...so if the best solution overall amd money wise ???

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.