997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GMG SWAYS vs. H&R sways

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:05 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Sorry not trying to put words in your mouth at all. Just an observation. As long as you think that the stock car requires some "adjusting in driving style," I have no problem.

Have you driven 997 GT3 or GT2? If you have, you will see what I mean about the staggering drunkard comment on the stock Turbo. If you have and still don't agree with me, then let's agree to disagree.

The sport mode being stiffer has nothing to do with the spring, it's the dampener closing its internal valve. Making the car stiffer by adjusting dampener is not necessarily the best way to stiffen a car for the track. This is one major reason why (and most tuners who DON'T also sell components for a living would agree) a coilover has significant advantage over just lowering spring.

My comment regarding the tuners/sponsors on this forum remains: To say the Turbo doesn't need stiffer spring to feel as agile as a *TYPICAL* sports car in its class is to argue against the experience of every single reputable tuner to the right side of this thread.
Most don't want to comment because of politics, etc. I encourage anyone interested in suspension change to email each of them individually and ask. You'll be surprised how consistent the answer will be.

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Can,
I never said I like a softer spring, DO NOT put words in my mouth my friend. I have 10 years experience with these cars on the track, I don't drive it anywhere near the performance envelope and I doubt you do either. If your car is behaving like a staggering drunk at the track, it just might be operator error . Sure the car has a little extra weight transfer in non sport, but it is managed by adjusting your driving style. The Champions are a progressive spring, so they get stiffer as they are pushed harder. I actually find them stiffer in the sport mode. Don't believe what any of the tuners tell you most are just trying to sell you something Champion included.

Last edited by cannga; 11-02-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Dude.....oh never mind by all means change out your whole suspension.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:26 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Many of us have and are the happier albeit a little poorer for it.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
So what is the best set up for track and street ??? Also our roads and not that got and get pretty bumpy sometimes...

Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
If I never took my car to the track, I would have kept the suspension 100% stock. But I do, and I needed more negative camber, so I made a number of changes.
IMO, for street and light track, just springs and maybe sways are more than enough.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM
SoCalCFP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
If I never took my car to the track, I would have kept the suspension 100% stock. But I do, and I needed more negative camber, so I made a number of changes.
IMO, for street and light track, just springs and maybe sways are more than enough.

this is what i have decided to do, especially since i want the car lowered a bit. can someone explain to a neophyte the pros and cons of changing the alignment? thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The alignment out of the box is more generic, as the car is more generic (usually about-.4 camber up front for ex). If you align it to gt3 specs, or close to, the handling will be much sharper, but you'll wear tires faster...nothing is free.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
In case you are interested: The reasons for alignment change, and what numbers you should change to, **as a starting point for someone new to modding**, are clearly explained on the first page of the Bilstein thread in my signature.

In short, it's the front camber. As a starting point, bring it to a little more negative number and make your Turbo has the same setting as the GT3 street setting. And the reason you do it is to reduce understeer. Of course there are much more you could do such as more negavite camber, toe in/out, etc., etc., but this is a **starting** point that a number of people have used and are happy with.

Originally Posted by SoCalCFP
this is what i have decided to do, especially since i want the car lowered a bit. can someone explain to a neophyte the pros and cons of changing the alignment? thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:50 PM
SoCalCFP is infamous around these parts
thanks allot for the info.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Ok thanks...would the car behaive better or worse on bumpu roads ???

Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 AM
If you mean firmer, yes.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Which Springs and swaybars would you guys reccomend ???

Old 11-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Personally, gmg all around. Fit is perfect, drop is 20mm, just right. sways are easy to adjust and well made, no fitment issues whatsoever. The search button is your friend here, Rus.
c

Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 AM
If I want bigger drop ???

Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT RUS
If I want bigger drop ???
H&R or champions will give slightly more drop up front, any more and you will need adjustable coilovers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.