997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:56 PM
pnoob2 is a jewel in the roughpnoob2 is a jewel in the roughpnoob2 is a jewel in the roughpnoob2 is a jewel in the rough
I dont understand this post....6speedonline.com has many members with GT-R's and many members with 997tt's why don't we set something up and just find out for ourselves? Maybe a streets of willow run and a dragstrip run too?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM
iceman996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm the notorious anti-GT-R. All the fanboys hate me.

Question for 997 TT owners, are MPSC a factory option on the TT here? Or just in Europe? Both or Neither?

If Porsche put non option tires on it, I cant back that. But the GT-R was still a ringer.

WHICH IS WHY NO FANBOYS CAN ANSWER WHY THE RING GT-R's ARE AS FAST AS ZONDA's AND ZR-1's ON THE STRAIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY ?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

When someone can offer a legit reason for that, I'll shutup. It better be good though, no B.S.

Seriously, you should build your own website: www.porschefanboy.com

Old 10-01-2008, 05:24 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by petevb
All right, this was bugging me, so I've run some more numbers, and I'm now pretty convinced that the Ring GTR record was set with a car with around 490 awhp.

Explanation as follows: The other recent Ring contender is the Viper ACR; ~3490 lbs with driver, ~517 rwhp, tons of downforce but the aero of a barn-door (likely .44 cd and ~1.88 m^2 based on a 192 mph top speed). We have video of that car with a clock in the corner vs the ZR1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08nxI...eature=related

The GTR has much better aero, so at some point it will catch and pass the ACR given a long enough straight, however if you run the numbers with the 420 rwhp GTR the GTR should accelerate slower until ~172 mph, a speed which it shouldn't be able to exceed on the bridge to bridge measurement. So the ACR should be faster down that straight by a pretty reasonable amount, as it will always be pulling harder, and much harder at lower speeds.

But it's not. I time the GTR .3 seconds faster than the ACR from bridge to bridge, which works out to roughly 2 mph faster average speed. Since the viper has a much better power to weight ratio it should be much faster at lower speeds, so the GTR would need lots more than stock power to pass it (by a lot) on the straight.

I see two other possible explanations, but I don't buy either of them.

First, if the GTR came off the corner with much more speed it could carry more speed under the first bridge and onto the straight. You can time this in the video too, though- I get 6.6 seconds from the point you can see down the straight until the first bridge for the ACR vs 7.2 seconds for the GTR. Now the view out the windshields is a little different, but not nearly that much- the ACR is clearly much faster off of that last corner and also hits the first bridge with significantly more speed.

The second possible explanation is wind. However the ZR1 and ACR times are pretty much what you'd expect relative to one another, and it seems very unlikely they both had the same head-wind on their best runs. Then there could be a tail wind for the GTR, but if you time the other record GTR run (the 7:38) it's only .1 second slower bridge to bridge. It's also very unlikely they both had the same tail wind...

So the GTR gets to the first bridge at a slower speed, but catches and passes the much more powerful ACR before the 2nd. How much power would it need to do that? If you give the GTR 490 awhp, the cross-over point at which it's faster than the ZR1 moves from ~172 mph down to ~146 mph, meaning the GTR is pulling harder for most of that straight, and can average a couple mph faster despite entering the straight slower. That's the same number I'd come up with to re-create its performance vs the ZR1 assuming no wind.

So waaay too much time spent on this, but I think I've convinced myself that there is almost no way that GTR was putting stock power levels out. My best estimate is ~490 whp or around 600 crank hp.

If anyone wants to shoot holes in the above feel free. The other videos I used are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBZ5i15yVU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TMXr2ReNhk
http://www.garage419.com/episode/419_20080710

-Pete

Good observation pete, please try the split times on the white signs on the right side of the track, it's VERY revealing. Use the first bridge as normal, but then use the signs as splits untill the second bridge, the last sign is the black traffic sign on the right. The GT-R is behind in split times to all of them then takes off (mind you this is about 160 MPH) past the ZR-1 and Zonda briefly before they have to catch back up to it. If I'm right, that's a cheat or edited video.

And as far as tail wind, the GT-R that ran 7:38 had the identical time on that back straight. IDENTICAL. So unless they got lucky twice, I'm not buying it.

Also

Old 10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
This thread is more enjoyable to read than people watching at a Jimmy Buffett concert!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the...ng-lap-record/

The GT-R's suspension was modified from the current Japanese production model, supposedly to reflect the American and European spec. Supposedly. Will anyone get a chance to compare the fabled ‘Ring runner and a final production car?

This is a great point, why hasnt there been any tests of the Japanese model GT-R vs the USDM model to confirm the differences, how about a test with both GT-R's, a Z06 and a GT3?? There is a GT-R test done by every mag almost weekly, is it not obvious that the GT-R sells magazines and get tons of hits to your website? Fanboys outnumber enthusiasts 100000000000/1. You know the guys that never have, but will argue to the death about. BONZELITE!!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the...ng-lap-record/

The GT-R's suspension was modified from the current Japanese production model, supposedly to reflect the American and European spec. Supposedly. Will anyone get a chance to compare the fabled ‘Ring runner and a final production car?

This is a great point, why hasnt there been any tests of the Japanese model GT-R vs the USDM model to confirm the differences, how about a test with both GT-R's, a Z06 and a GT3?? There is a GT-R test done by every mag almost weekly, is it not obvious that the GT-R sells magazines and get tons of hits to your website? Fanboys outnumber enthusiasts 100000000000/1. You know the guys that never have, but will argue to the death about. BONZELITE!!!!!
The "truthaboutcars" article was a great read and makes so much sense. I am so happy Porsche has called Nissan out, and I think it will be very easy to prove the accusation. All you gotta do is buy some GTRs, GT2s and 911TTs off the lot (without announcing to the dealers what you are up to), and run 'em at the ring. Allow the manufacturers to choose who will drive their car, it doesn't matter. I bet Porsche would even foot the bill. By the way, heavychevy, keep giving the fanboys hell! It looks like everything you said has been backed up by Porsche. Oh, I can't wait to see this thing play out!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM
eclivia is infamous around these parts
I been on this site reading alot about porsche and GTR. I guess every site is bias to which ever car forum it is. But its unbelieveable how bias is HEAVYCHEVY. A very nice guy on this forum with both cars take it out on the track and saying GTR is a better car. But NO, you guys dont admit to it and keep finding a reason, then another reason to say 997tt is better. That was a real world comparison too. I would believe a Real world comparison then a Porsche taking a GTR out and drive it slower to be on top again. Same can go the other way around. Theres many many test of independent and mag test that GTR beat 997tt. Those are the people are not from GTR or 997TT. I believe them.

As for this matter, you cant believe what they all say, if you do then your naive. comparing with all the independent test and mag test, the GTR is faster then what porsche stated. If porsche aint lieing then porsche driver dont know how to drive. 997tt is rear engine, compare to front engine of GTR.

Heavychevy, i think you need to get a LIFE. with the way you are on the forum, i doubt you have any real friends in real life. Even you do, those are fake friends that talk **** behind your back. So improve your personalities and be more OPEN MINDED. GL with your LIFE

Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM
LOL, I would take that as an insult....... If I could understand what you were saying.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM
'ringmeister is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
This thread is more enjoyable to read than people watching at a Jimmy Buffett concert!
HAHA! was thinking more like "Springer"...look out, chairs are flyin'

Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by eclivia
I been on this site reading alot about porsche and GTR. I guess every site is bias to which ever car forum it is. But its unbelieveable how bias is HEAVYCHEVY. A very nice guy on this forum with both cars take it out on the track and saying GTR is a better car. But NO, you guys dont admit to it and keep finding a reason, then another reason to say 997tt is better. That was a real world comparison too. I would believe a Real world comparison then a Porsche taking a GTR out and drive it slower to be on top again. Same can go the other way around. Theres many many test of independent and mag test that GTR beat 997tt. Those are the people are not from GTR or 997TT. I believe them.

As for this matter, you cant believe what they all say, if you do then your naive. comparing with all the independent test and mag test, the GTR is faster then what porsche stated. If porsche aint lieing then porsche driver dont know how to drive. 997tt is rear engine, compare to front engine of GTR.

Heavychevy, i think you need to get a LIFE. with the way you are on the forum, i doubt you have any real friends in real life. Even you do, those are fake friends that talk **** behind your back. So improve your personalities and be more OPEN MINDED. GL with your LIFE
I'm his friend.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pnoob2
I dont understand this post....6speedonline.com has many members with GT-R's and many members with 997tt's why don't we set something up and just find out for ourselves? Maybe a streets of willow run and a dragstrip run too?

I have both and am in Nor Cal. I'm game.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
HeavyChevy doesn't like me but I am his friend haha... guess thats two...

Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclivia

So HC...how many GTR fanboy noobs now? I've lost count.

Last edited by bbywu; 10-01-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:13 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Bobby why are you always stirring up the pot? I mean really doesn't it get old ?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:35 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Bobby why are you always stirring up the pot? I mean really doesn't it get old ?
Who me?....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.