997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Does this look like the middle of the car to you?

That's considered mid-engine layout.

Here's rear engine.

Here's mid engine.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaeS4
If that is the case, So how come F1 cars are mid-engined and Ferrari have dominated the F1 for several years. If i'm not mistaken the 917's and 956's where mid engined. And the CGT which IMO is Porsche's best supercar and one of the best supercar ever is also mid engine. So exactly what rear engine race car that is kicking *** in any racing?

Not that explaining anything to you is going to accomplish anything. But open wheel racing and GT racing are not even close to the same thing. GT race cars rely BY FAR more on mechanical grip than aero dynamic grip. Open wheel cars are just the opposite. But as you can see in the pic, the engine is as far back as they can get it, for more weight and grip in low speed corners. It's not behind the rear axle because THERE ISNT ANYTHING BEHIND THE REAR AXLE BUT THE WING.

Also notice that in racing you want the rear wing far enough back and high enough to get the cleanest air as possible for the most downforce. This is relatively simulated in a rear engine car with the force being put by weight and not aero downforce. Hence the reason RE platform has been so good for so long.

What Rear Engine is winning in any racing? Are you serious boy? The 911's win tally would be even more substantial if only production car based racing was included. The GT1/Super GT cars dont resemble the street cars at all (at least they have the same appearance in GT1).

Porsche has won FIA,Lemans,ALMS,Rolex,Speed GT and many others for years and years. Go read up.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts

Are you serious? Show me a car that has the engine EXACTLY in the middle?
I don't know why you guys are so defensive. I was just stating the facts. Fact is a mid engine car is more well balanced than a rear engine car. Even Porsche themselves admit that a mid engine platform is better.
I'm not putting the 911 down. I'm just stating that it's engine location is compromised. You guys need a reality check.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts

Are you serious? Show me a car that has the engine EXACTLY in the middle? Obviously, the engine in an F1 car aint in the rear overhanging the rear wheels like in the 911 now is it?
I don't know why you guys are so defensive. I was just stating the facts. Fact is a mid engine car is more well balanced than a rear engine car. Even Porsche themselves admit that a mid engine platform is better.
I'm not putting the 911 down. I'm just stating that it's engine location is compromised. You guys need a reality check.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Prche951
how about the lemans and american gt2/gt3 class. Look at the overall wins and you will see that the 911 has dominated this class for quite sometime. This is against it's main rival Ferrari, as well as all the other makes involved, and pretty much all other makes are involved in this class. The porsche Flat 6 is also the winningest lemans engine of all time. period.
No doubt, but the Lemans car such as the 917 or 956 where mid engine, correct me if i'm wrong. I never questioned Porsche engines or Porsche in general, but to say that rear engined race cars are kicking *** in racing is far fetch. Especially when F1 is entirely mid engine design race cars.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
No doubt, but the Lemans car such as the 917 or 956 where mid engine, correct me if i'm wrong. I never questioned Porsche engines or Porsche in general, but to say that rear engined race cars are kicking *** in racing is far fetch. Especially when F1 is entirely mid engine design race cars.

Again, the 911 has won more gt2/gt3 class events than any other single car out there and it's competition is mid or front engined. So again you would be wrong in this.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
That's considered mid-engine layout.

I know that, but he doesnt. Middle of the car and mid engine do not mean the same thing. As you can see the two are very close.

The result is that mid engine cars are easier to toss around, but they are also more unpredictable when you cross the line a tad. The rear engine is more predictable (meaning you know what's going to happen when you lose it), but needs more discipline and less "tossing" into the corners.

Mid engine mechanics try to aim for a rear weight bias when corner balancing to make the car more predictable. Rear engine guys will put ballast in the front to get bite in the front end because it tends to push through the corners otherwise.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
You say traction as if it's not the fundamental base of racing. Everything begins and ends with it. And dont you mean RE, not RWD?

More sensible? HAHAHA, that's a joke right? There are too many trophy's credited to Porsche in racing that make your stupid statement even stupider.

Bags of cement will move around, and no one will allow enough ballast to make as much difference as RE with SUSPENSION DESIGNED FOR RE. I dont know of any front engine cars with suspension designed for front engine + cement bags. You continue to amaze.
I'm loath to make any sort of personal comments on the internet, but I have to make an exception here - you really are either incredibly stupid, terribly ignorant, or fourteen years old.

Perhaps all three.

No one is disputing the 911's racing success, but to suggest that it is entirely due to its compromised drivetrain layout is plain stupid.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Not that explaining anything to you is going to accomplish anything. But open wheel racing and GT racing are not even close to the same thing. GT race cars rely BY FAR more on mechanical grip than aero dynamic grip. Open wheel cars are just the opposite. But as you can see in the pic, the engine is as far back as they can get it, for more weight and grip in low speed corners. It's not behind the rear axle because THERE ISNT ANYTHING BEHIND THE REAR AXLE BUT THE WING.

Also notice that in racing you want the rear wing far enough back and high enough to get the cleanest air as possible for the most downforce. This is relatively simulated in a rear engine car with the force being put by weight and not aero downforce. Hence the reason RE platform has been so good for so long.

What Rear Engine is winning in any racing? Are you serious boy? The 911's win tally would be even more substantial if only production car based racing was included. The GT1/Super GT cars dont resemble the street cars at all (at least they have the same appearance in GT1).

Porsche has won FIA,Lemans,ALMS,Rolex,Speed GT and many others for years and years. Go read up.
You're an idiot, that is still considered mid engine you moron. It's the same design and concept on street cars that are mid engine like Ferraris. What else do you think that's behind the axle on Ferraris, besides the bumper, muffler, exhaust, etc. etc. It is still mid engine, do you think mid engine cars would have the engine exactly on the middle of the car next to the driver.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Quacker
Are you serious? Show me a car that has the engine EXACTLY in the middle?

That's still no where near the "middle of the car". If you dont want to be treated like an imbecile, dont talk like one.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
no car is perfect. The mid engined layout is not really mid engined, it is rear engined just ahead of the axle. Front engine is also not great. The ideal car would have the engine next to the driver and the gas tank next to the driver and all three in the exact middle of the car.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned
I can't believe these guys are saying that a rear engine layout is better than a mid engine layout. Just when i thought i've read it all - along comes this. So what are you guys gonna say next - fwd cars are faster than rwd cars?
And why is Porsche's current fastest, most expensive and best supercar is a mid engine and not rear engine?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:04 AM
You're an idiot, that is still considered mid engine you moron. It's the same design and concept on street cars that are mid engine like Ferraris. What else do you think that's behind the axle on Ferraris, besides the bumper, muffler, exhaust, etc. etc. It is still mid engine, do you think mid engine cars would have the engine exactly on the middle of the car next to the driver.
Point being the difference in placement in "mid engine" relative to the axle can be as big as the difference between a mid and rear engine classification depending on the car.

The CGT had 600 hp and was wilder than any of the current generation 911's at the limit if you go by any of the accounts of the test drivers. Probably the hardest of Porsche cars 996 or 997 to drive. So your simplistic explanations are still backfiring in your face.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Quacker
I can't believe these guys are saying that a rear engine layout is better than a mid engine layout. Just when i thought i've read it all - along comes this. So what are you guys gonna say next - fwd cars are faster than rwd cars?
And why is Porsche's current fastest, most expensive and best supercar is a mid engine and not rear engine?

not saying that at all, you are putting words in everyones mouth. I stated that all designs have their flaws. Porsche has had 50 years to get it right and they have. Again, why does porsche dominate gt2/gt3 class if it's design is poor and it does it with a smaller engine

Just why did you join this forum, obviously only to drag this fight out? There should be some sort of rule that if you join a forum to argue, you get banned.

Maybe the carreraGT is fastest because of it's 650 hp engine, don't you think that has something to do with it.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Banned
That's still no where near the "middle of the car". If you dont want to be treated like an imbecile, dont talk like one.
So who's the imbecile now? You are one disturbed person.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.