997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 19000rpm

I think we are in agreement on that point.

F1 cars push the limits of design constraint, without them we probably would have taken a brake design originally built for the Concorde and have adapted and developed them for motor sport. Without that we probably wouldn’t have companies producing pccb components to the quality we see today. You can argue motor sports relation to everyday drivers all you want. The thing is you can argue it either way, its just how you perceive it. You can say a rsr and the carrera are very closely related. Or that the NSX racing in the JGTC can trace it roots to your street car. It’s all about advertising. This is the same sentiment that people claim the glories of Porsche and racing purely to the 911. Its just not so. When it comes down to it its all about profit and paying the bills.

blah, blah blah, you haven't said crap...and your wrong

The 911 has won more races than any car you will put on the list. Prove me wrong and you can't

Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
The 911 hasn’t been competing against other manufactures until now, just more 911’s. Only until recently have they actually had to really compete and because of this they have been entering into easier to win classes.

On the jgtc thing, you are missing the point, which is I’m guessing why people on this thread love to argue all the way to over 1600 posts. I was comparing racecars to streetcars! Therefore I could have used nascar for an example.

Last edited by 19000rpm; 11-16-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
The 911 hasn’t been competing against other manufactures until now, just more 911’s. Only until recently have they actually had to really compete and because of this they have been entering into easier to win series.

I am sure this is likely the most ignorant post I have seen yet. Oh, no, the 911 has not been competing against anything until now. No, not Ferrari since the 70's, Ford, McLaren, Mercedes, BMW, Maserati and many more. Ever heard of the BMW M3? Talk about another extremely succesful platform, the M3. that little straight 6 is a monster. Before you open your mouth please do some research as your comment is retarded. LeMans is probably the most historic racing event on the planet and the series is monumental.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Think maybe there is a reason Porsche hasn’t put a double clutch auto box into the turbo yet? Maybe for a reason such as reliability? The fact that you only get one gearbox choice in these two cars is because the manufacturer realizes they are not going to reach their goals with the car if they do other wise. The Goal of either going fast, or going fast reliably has so far been the difference. The new gtr can really be seen as a 996 in terms of its development (ala first water cooled). It is the first “GT-R” to have a v6 and an automatic gearbox. There are going to be problems. There is a reason that manufactures like Honda, and Toyota do not try to directly compete with a company like Porsche, at least in terms of streetcars. These companies proved their worth on racing and building reliable commuter cars. When the average Nissan being sold costs what 30-40K and you start to offer a 911 beater for twice that average, really makes you wonder. I know this car is amazing, but the fact that it doesn’t have an inline and a real gearbox is very off putting. If it was my money down on the table I would defiantly shy away, at least until it proves to be reliable and someone makes a body kit for it that looks like less of a dog. I’m glad that thing is fast, because I wouldn’t want to be seen driving it from a looks perspective. Nissan built a car with 0 constraints. Porsche built a car with a flawed rear engine design, and what they have done with that car I find to be far more amazing then what Nissan has done!
DSG, PDK...it's the way of the future. Get use to it. I understand why you dislike the GTR with its new engine and transmission - it's just human nature to be afraid of change.
One bit of advice, if you can, drive the GTR and i gurantee that your perception of it will change. Afterwards i don't think you'll think so highly of an inline 6 anymore. RB26...what?
Also remember that this isn't Nissan's first high performance car, so they've 'been there, done that' already. Do some research on the R32 GTR and see what you can come up.
And, the ATTESA-ETS awd system on the GTR is regarded by many as the most advanced awd system in the world. Something for you to chew on.
Finally, what's the dribble on "911 not competing against other manufacturers until now" comment? You've just crawled out of a cave or something?

Last edited by Quacker; 11-16-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Prche951
Ever heard of the BMW M3? Talk about another extremely succesful platform, the M3. that little straight 6 is a monster. Before you open your mouth please do some research as your comment is retarded.
Hmm. The E30 M3 is the one with the competition pedigree, and that has a four-cylinder S14 in it.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Would you buy a Porsche with a 4 banger? Nissan, BMW, Toyota and many others cut their teeth in the sports car market with I6 1000hp monsters that would hold up to anything. If you don’t respect that then I just don’t know what to tell you. Just to hear one of those inlines rip up into revs is a reaffirming experience for any petrol head. I have a freshly built computer that I can put wheels on and you can ride down a hill if tech stuff really gets you off. Rude and crude could be terms used to describe those older cars, but they just as fast or faster then any of this fresh off the CAD stuff.
I have a go kart with a 2 stroke carbi engine, no suspension, no fancy hydraulic brakes with ABS, no power steering etc.... man, just to hear the 2 stroke rip up into revs is a resaffirming experience for any petrol sniffing head (literally sniffing)....

Originally Posted by Trommel
Hmm. The E30 M3 is the one with the competition pedigree, and that has a four-cylinder S14 in it.
hmmm, where have you been in the last 2 decades. Time to come out of your cave

Banned
Originally Posted by Quacker
DSG, PDK...it's the way of the future. Get use to it. I understand why you dislike the GTR with its new engine and transmission - it's just human nature to be afraid of change.
One bit of advice, if you can, drive the GTR and i gurantee that your perception of it will change. Afterwards i don't think you'll think so highly of an inline 6 anymore. RB26...what?
I agree, dual clutch is the future, and it's very, very good.

Don't dismiss the RB26, it's still a great engine (I've had two RB26s, one RB26 stroked to 2.8 and, currently, an RB26/30 hybrid). Emissions and packaging are what killed it.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:25 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
You are calling me ignorant and telling me to think before I type. Are you not the one that completely missed the point I made of the 911 being a superior car from a developmental standpoint? I’m not going to argue directly with you over how the 911 doesn’t compete against anything. From a racing standpoint the 911 is slow because the engine is in the wrong place!!! That is why it is run in the slower classes mainly against other 911’s. Another point I made about all of this is Ignorant people that buy into the Porsche marketing scheme is that the 911 the be all end all of racing.

OK you want to talk about IGNORANT. Back then in the 70’s they weren’t even racing the 911 against the manufactures you listed, it was mid engined prototypes like the 917. Why don’t you get your facts straight before you go on a forum and start criticizing people in such a hypocritical way. You are prime example of why Porsche marketing is so good. You think the 911 is the basis for Porsche racing. Back when Porsche was racing, as in factory effort, they raced mid engined prototypes, not the 911.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
[quote=19000rpm;2137643]The 911 hasn’t been competing against other manufactures until now, just more 911’s. Only until recently have they actually had to really compete and because of this they have been entering into easier to win series.
/quote]

Holy cow! Stupidest post I've ever read on 6blingonline.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned
hmmm, where have you been in the last 2 decades. Time to come out of your cave
Your point is?

The E36 M3 has a far less illustrious competition pedigree.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:32 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
You are calling me ignorant and telling me to think before I type. Are you not the one that completely missed the point I made of the 911 being a superior car from a developmental standpoint? I’m not going to argue directly with you over how the 911 doesn’t compete against anything. From a racing standpoint the 911 is slow because the engine is in the wrong place!!! That is why it is run in the slower classes mainly against other 911’s. Another point I made about all of this is Ignorant people that buy into the Porsche marketing scheme is that the 911 the be all end all of racing.

OK you want to talk about IGNORANT. Back then in the 70’s they weren’t even racing the 911 against the manufactures you listed, it was mid engined prototypes like the 917. Why don’t you get your facts straight before you go on a forum and start criticizing people in such a hypocritical way. You are prime example of why Porsche marketing is so good. You think the 911 is the basis for Porsche racing. Back when Porsche was racing, as in factory effort, they raced mid engined prototypes, not the 911.
Yeah guys! He's right.

Attached Images      
Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
Yeah guys! He's right.
We already beat this to death in the NW forum.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...boxster-6.html

Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Really, it races against itself. Hey, go read online about all the cars in the GT2/3 class. The 911 is racing against the Ferrari F430, the M3, the Viper the Ford GT, the Vette, Aston, etc. Again, for such an outdated design it is amazing how well it does. The engine in it' current form, GT1 style, has won LeMans more than any other single engine.

What is more outdated, a front engine design dating back to the steam engine or a rear engine design the rewrote the book many years ago and was the reason for most mid engine designs

Old 11-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned
What is more outdated, a front engine design dating back to the steam engine or a rear engine design the rewrote the book many years ago and was the reason for most mid engine designs
You keep telling yourself that ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.