997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
You keep telling yourself that ...

uh, yah, and you keep on telling yourself all the BS you wish to hear, ok.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Are you seriously suggesting that mid-engined cars arose because of the influence of rear-engined 911?

Why didn't they just make them rear-engined?

Was Herr Rumpler influenced by the 911 back in 1921? Why didn't Porsche make the 1923 Tropfenwagen rear-engined? Was the 550 Spyder a dead-end?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Are you seriously suggesting that mid-engined cars arose because of the influence of rear-engined 911?

Why didn't they just make them rear-engined?

Was Herr Rumpler influenced by the 911 back in 1921? Why didn't Porsche make the 1923 Tropfenwagen rear-engined? Was the 550 Spyder a dead-end?
nope did not suggest it all, you just did. In fact, where do you think the mid engined grand prix car came from? Talk about experience with mid and rear engined designs hmmm, who has most of it.

I do believe that the mid engine design is a better balanced design from a center of balance standpoint and way better than a front engine design. I also believe that porsche has taken the rear engine to it's ultimate development and as Heavy Chevy has already said it is engineered well enough to compete against anything including mid engined designs. I don't think the front engine design is better, however, weight over the front with drive wheels over the rear is not conducive to good traction. But many companies have succeded in making it work as well. So now we have two less than ideal designs that seem to work well. Oh and the mid engined design is not truly mid engined. Mid engined would put the driver over the front wheels or over the rear wheels as in the old Cheetah of the late 60's.

So the GTR is definitely not an advanced design.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:16 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
yah, there is no awd car that gets 13-14% loss much less 10% from a front engined awd car using two driveshafts and an automatic tranny. Can you say tons of loss.... typically awd cars are in the 18-22% loss and rwd cars run 14-16%. These are known stds.

That's true for conventional AWD systems that dont delegate much power if any to the front wheels if there is no slippage from the rear. The result is a RWD car unless there is a loss of traction from the front and less drivetrain loss on a dyno where there is no slippage.

Look in the 996 TT section and see dont most people claim 580-600 hp with a ecu/exhaust on a K24 turbo car. That amounts to 500-530 rwhp with a 15% drivetrain loss.

The 996 TT came out in 2000, and only exhibits such a little drivetrain loss, I dont think it's out of the realm of possiblility that it has been improved on.

This is the reason you cant test a 996 TT on any AWD dyno, if the drums are not linked the front wheels dont have enough power to turn the drum by themselves, and you'll burn the coupler. I put mine on a dyno dynamics because we werent sure if it was linked or not, and sure enough it wouldnt turn the front drum so we had to abort and make it rwd for the dyno.

The technology has been around for a while to eliminate the AWD factor when it comes to hp loss and only using it when neccessary. 18-22 % is Evo, Sti territory and old news.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
That's true for conventional AWD systems that dont delegate much power if any to the front wheels if there is no slippage from the rear. The result is a RWD car unless there is a loss of traction from the front and less drivetrain loss on a dyno where there is no slippage.

Look in the 996 TT section and see dont most people claim 580-600 hp with a ecu/exhaust on a K24 turbo car. That amounts to 500-530 rwhp with a 15% drivetrain loss.

The 996 TT came out in 2000, and only exhibits such a little drivetrain loss, I dont think it's out of the realm of possiblility that it has been improved on.

This is the reason you cant test a 996 TT on any AWD dyno, if the drums are not linked the front wheels dont have enough power to turn the drum by themselves, and you'll burn the coupler. I put mine on a dyno dynamics because we werent sure if it was linked or not, and sure enough it wouldnt turn the front drum so we had to abort and make it rwd for the dyno.

The technology has been around for a while to eliminate the AWD factor when it comes to hp loss and only using it when neccessary. 18-22 % is Evo, Sti territory and old news.

makes sense, and good info on why the 996tt has to be on linked drums, I have been wondering why, and now I know.... But I don't think that a front engined mostly rear wheel drive is going to have that efficiency with two drvieshafts and an auto tranny....

Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaeS4
YOU'RE THE IDIOT THAT TOLD ME THAT NISSAN CLAIMS 10% LOSS AND YOU BELIEVED IT. I'll go look for that post of yours so you can put your foot in your mouth. Explain to me again why would a tuner claim a higher gain base on their dyno test. You can't, because your stupid.

I said 10% OFF stupid. Which means 10% deviation from the claim which is what YOU are claiming. You're claiming 100 more hp and 10% more drivetrain loss and dont have the slightest evidence (MEANING ACCLERATION RESULTS) to back any of it.

My claim for Nissan's lying is based on some evidence from lap times and clocks with acceleration and various independant tests not to mention Nissan's lying history. You're basing it on heresay from people who havent even put the engine on a dyno to see how much is being lost and based on ancient AWD rules which have been offset by new technology which isnt present JUST in the GT-R.

But like I said we can argue this till the cows come home but the

FACTS

The GT-R accelerates like a car with a 7.6 - 7.8 weight/power ratio!!!!!!

PERIOD!!!!!

And since we know the weight of the car, the only calculation is hp.

3800/7.6= 500 hp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M6 3900 lbs/500 hp = 7.8 = 119 mph trap speed

GT3 3250/415 hp = 7.8 = 120 mph

MATH ******** ITS ALL IN THE MATH!!!!!!!!!!!

GT-R @ 570 hp = 6.66 which is almost equal to a Z06 (6.36)

Old 11-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
You are calling me ignorant and telling me to think before I type. Are you not the one that completely missed the point I made of the 911 being a superior car from a developmental standpoint? I’m not going to argue directly with you over how the 911 doesn’t compete against anything. From a racing standpoint the 911 is slow because the engine is in the wrong place!!! That is why it is run in the slower classes mainly against other 911’s. Another point I made about all of this is Ignorant people that buy into the Porsche marketing scheme is that the 911 the be all end all of racing.

What are you talking about, all of the faster classes are prototypes. Not production chassy cars.

Name series where there are production based GT cars and the 911 cant hang.

The only limitation of the 911 is it's ability to add more power in the back with space and weight confines. But the judge of a chassy is in it's ability to go fast with LESS hp. Anything can go fast with 800 hp. But going within a few seconds of the GT1 cars which are in fact 550+ hp and prototype cars doesnt sound like slow to me.

The 911 is not the end all of anything, but it's not the gigantic lead weight that the pundits want it to be and it's proven that over and over and over and over again. I'd like for you to substantiate your claim with some real information that shows the 911 being the weak link in production based cars since that is the racing that resembles most what we drive on the street.

There are a lot of doubters, and Porsche has been beating them all for decades with the engine in the "wrong place".

Old 11-16-2008, 02:03 PM
What are you talking about, all of the faster classes are prototypes. Not production chassy cars.

Name series where there are production based GT cars and the 911 cant hang.

The only limitation of the 911 is it's ability to add more power in the back with space and weight confines. But the judge of a chassy is in it's ability to go fast with LESS hp. Anything can go fast with 800 hp. But going within a few seconds of the GT1 cars which are in fact 550+ hp and prototype cars doesnt sound like slow to me.

The 911 is not the end all of anything, but it's not the gigantic lead weight that the pundits want it to be and it's proven that over and over and over and over again. I'd like for you to substantiate your claim with some real information that shows the 911 being the weak link in production based cars since that is the racing that resembles most what we drive on the street.

There are a lot of doubters, and Porsche has been beating them all for decades with the engine in the "wrong place".

+1meellion

Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 PM
makes sense, and good info on why the 996tt has to be on linked drums, I have been wondering why, and now I know.... But I don't think that a front engined mostly rear wheel drive is going to have that efficiency with two drvieshafts and an auto tranny....
The DSG now and PDK in the future do not feature automatics in the sense of a torque converter. They use the computers to essentially paddle shifter the car for you. In auto mode and cruising, the car will have you in 6th or 7th gear by the time you reach 60 mph. There is no torque converter and the like which is what saps the power.

I dont know all the details on how it works, but it's even more advanced than the first generation SMG's from bmw. I'm sure porsche has some details floating around, but per our talk at the Petit Lemans with a Porsche rep, the PDK follows the same pattern. The bmw smg 1 was figured to be in the 12% loss range. This is supposed to be better in most every way.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
I dont know all the details on how it works, but it's even more advanced than the first generation SMG's from bmw.
SMG is just an automated-change manual box; the clever thing about the dual-clutch transmissions is the way they have a separate clutch for odd and even gears, so the next gear is pre-selected and the change can be instant with no interruption in power.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Hell, I saw in person the 917 win the 24 hours of Daytona in 1970 and 1971. The good old air cooled 911S was there too running against the likes of Ferrari, Lancia, BMW, Corvette, etc. What the hell is he talking about? In fact, the good old normally aspirated flat 6 has won Daytona overall on more than one occasion in the 911 style body (non-prototype). Forgive my non-technical language, I'm speaking from the experience of having been there and seen them win overall with non-prototypes.

Last edited by USCCayman; 11-16-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:33 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
OK, a little more technical: The Carrera RSR won Daytona overall 3 times, and a 911 GT3 RS won overall once. I would not call that competing with slow cars.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Hell, I saw in person the 917 win the 24 hours of Daytona in 1970 and 1971. The good old air cooled 911S was there too running against the likes of Ferrari, Lancia, BMW, Corvette, etc. What the hell is he talking about? In fact, the good old normally aspirated flat 6 has won Daytona overall on more than one occasion in the 911 style body (non-prototype). Forgive my non-technical language, I'm speaking from the experience of having been there and seen them win overall with non-prototypes.

Originally Posted by USCCayman
OK, a little more technical: The Carrera RSR won Daytona overall 3 times, and a 911 GT3 RS won overall once. I would not call that competing with slow cars.
nothing like the voice of experience huh....

Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Start inserting your foot HC.

Here's the first one.

Originally Posted by Heavychevy
20% loss???? Other than completely ignoring Nissans claim of only ~10% loss, 20% loss is rediculous for todays sports cars.

Explain then why the GT-R cant trap much if any higher than a GT3 and M6 which have similar power to weight ratios as a GT-R at 480-500 hp.

This mythical hp hasnt shown up anywhere. So there is NO support for the GT-R losing 20% through the drivetrain whatsoever given that the DSG tranny, from the VW to the Veyron etc, have all proved to lose less through the drivetrain than a normal manual.

Like I said, Motortrend are morons. THE GT-R DOES NOT LOSE 20% THROUGH THE DRIVETRAIN.
Here's another:
Originally Posted by Heavychevy
For those mathematically challenged:

457/.90 = 507 hp
438/.90 = 486 hp

Like I said, you dont have a leg to stand on. 20% drivetrain loss is nonsense,
Here's my respond to this one^^
Originally Posted by jaeS4
You base that calculation on 10% loss, again you don't have proof of that either. I believe it's about 15% to 20%.

457= 571 @ 20%
430= 538 @ 20%

457= 538 @ 15%
430= 507 @ 15%

It pretty much comes down to what you believe or don't believe. I'm not saying you're wrong and definitely not saying you're right. And the same goes with me. We're both speculating and guessing. Don't act like you know everything and you're not always right.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:07 PM
nothing like the voice of experience huh....
More like voice of an old dog.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.