997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
The display is actually pretty good to use. It's not just a gimmick - you can configure it to display what you like.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Trommel, do you have a GTR?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heavychevy
PASM and PSM are two generations of ONE type of control, and only made it to the GT3 and GT2 recently mostly because of increasing safety standards and to reduce insurance rates and because people proved not to be able to handle them (hence the term widow maker). But the fact the the as recently as 2005, the GT3, GT2 and CGT had no electronic aids other than ABS.

PTM is traction control, and on everything other than a Viper, which is dying because dodge refused to refine it.
HC, I think you misspoke: PTM and PSM are the close cousins, PASM is just damper control. 997GT3 has PASM for comfort and PTM (not PSM) for safety. Not sure if GT2 has full PSM, or just PTM.

My (limited) understanding is that PTM just prevents throttle-on oversteer by reducing fuel flow whereas PSM does all kinds of magic with the brakes and gas to keep you pointed (roughly) in the right direction.

GT-R's PSM-equivalent (and the way it interacts with the center diff), IMHO is better than the 997 version of PSM.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
theromulus is infamous around these parts
Show us your rides!!!

120+ pages of bickering with kids who's experience with racing and cars comes from video games and car magazines and what they read on the internet. They live for a number, a stat, a faster time because that's all they have. They then run that and cram it in everyone's face, especially the real owner devotees that drive a car that Nissan tried to best in one way or another with a meaningless stat. Their new generic wonder has better numbers than a turbo pcar and it has a ps3 dashboard. Oh joyfull day let's run to every pcar board and tell them about this new slayer. They want to rub your nose in the numbers. They get kicked off and come back on as a new name from a different country. Remarkably they are taken to some extent seriously. Are any of these remarks and quotes and lets not forget the name calling, coming from anyone with real world experience or understanding of true quality and refinement?

Yes Nissan claimed a number for the ring and they knew it would draw this type of crowd. Anyone can lie about a number on the ring there is no real official sanctioned ring times except when they are part of a real race. So the number means nothing.

Most of the people who argue for the Nissan do not have one and probably never will. But dammit it has a number that beats your proven car that has taken more records than any other. Best of all it's cheap, well initially anyway.

Let them believe in their new found wonder and as soon as a "new shiny"
comes along they will drop the Nissan banner and fly the new one.
Because they have, ""no buy in"" with anything in reality.

To me Nissan has bad Karma and a crap load of juvenile trolls to go with it. Nothing more than a bunch of nintendo racer wannabes.

Last edited by theromulus; 11-18-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:02 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaeS4
Well first of all you denied that you said 10% power loss that Nissan claims. So i showed you proof that you said it and believed it. And then you claimed that you said 10% off, not 10% loss, showed you proof that you did say 10% power loss. Why would you compare the M6's power loss if it is only RWD and BMW's are known to be very efficient in putting power to the ground and loses very little power to the wheels. Completely different drivetrain, completely different everything.

Where did I deny saying 10%?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Banned
HUGH JASS has a spectacular aura aboutHUGH JASS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by theromulus
...Oh joyfull day let's run to every pcar board and tell them about this new slayer. They want to rub your nose in the numbers. They get kicked off and come back on as a new name from a different country. ...
It's funny you say that because it was a Chevy guy that started this. You gotta love the internet

Old 11-18-2008, 05:05 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by theromulus
120+ pages of bickering with kids who's experience with racing and cars comes from video games and car magazines and what they read on the internet. They live for a number, a stat, a faster time because that's all they have. They then run that and cram it in everyone's face, especially the real owner devotees that drive a car that Nissan tried to best in one way or another with a meaningless stat. Their new generic wonder has better numbers than a turbo pcar and it has a ps3 dashboard. Oh joyfull day let's run to every pcar board and tell them about this new slayer. They want to rub your nose in the numbers. They get kicked off and come back on as a new name from a different country. Remarkably they are taken to some extent seriously. Are any of these remarks and quotes and lets not forget the name calling, coming from anyone with real world experience or understanding of true quality and refinement?

Yes Nissan claimed a number for the ring and they new it would draw this type of crowd. Anyone can lie about a number on the ring there is no real official sanctioned ring times except when they are part of a real race. So the number means nothing.

Most of the people who argue for the Nissan do not have one and probably never will. But dammit it has a number that beats your proven car that has taken more records than any other. Best of all it's cheap, well initially anyway.

Let them believe in their new found wonder and as soon as a "new shiny"
comes along they will drop the Nissan banner and fly the new one.
Because they have, ""no buy in"" with anything in reality.

To me Nissan has bad Karma and a crap load of juvenile trolls to go with it. Nothing more than a bunch of nintendo racer wannabes.

You get a capital

PLUS ONE

for that post.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by HUGH JASS
It's funny you say that because it was a Chevy guy that started this. You gotta love the internet

Um actually if you were to troll the rest of the site not related to the GT-R you'd see I'm a Porsche owner.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:26 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Where did I deny saying 10%?
What?!

Last edited by jaeS4; 11-18-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:49 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
+2 for theromulus post. I semi blame the moderators for letting it go on.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:56 PM
checklist_34 is a jewel in the roughchecklist_34 is a jewel in the roughchecklist_34 is a jewel in the rough
Hey everybody, this thread moves fast and can be pretty hard to keep up with. I better post in another one.

But I'd like to throw a few things out before I run into the bushes. I think that the electronic displays and gadgetry in the GT-R are pretty cool, or at least different. And to some people that might be the bee's knee's. I don't like red wine, my neighbor has 20 grand of it in his basement. The smell of leather in a really upscale Porsche interior might be cooler to me, though.

Also, it is just silly to test cold R compound tires. (to quacker)

For the big list of things that were GT-R vs Turbo. What about the self satisfaction factor? The feeling of reward you get from being in a car? Do YOU feel special when driving it (different than does the car feel special). Does anyone know what I mean?

And to the original debate over power/weight ratio's and so on at the beginning of this thread. It seems like it was generally agreed among all parties here than the GT-R is making more than 480 at the crank, and that the 'ring version was likely making much more. It is interesting that the special car that breaks the rules perhaps used the oldest rules to set its best 'ring time: more power per weight and stickier tires.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 PM
checklist_34 is a jewel in the roughchecklist_34 is a jewel in the roughchecklist_34 is a jewel in the rough
Also Alpine997, that is one awesome looking car in your avatar pic. Does it ride rough with the big wheels?

Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
checklist_34 - Thank you. better than stock much better.

I think I need to change it again.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by jaeS4
What?!

I like how you edited that once you realized what I was really saying.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
checklist_34 - Thank you. better than stock much better.

I think I need to change it again.
But where are the spinners?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.