997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Borg says Resistance is futile Nissan will assimilate you

Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Quacker
I come back to this after a few days, and all i see are the same members bagging the GTR. Like i said earlier, haters will always be haters. Nothing will change that. Even if the GTR is the fastest, cheapest, prettiest, most fuel efficient, most reliable and safest car on the planet - there will always be haters. Haters don't follow logic. Amen.

I am not a Vette fan, however, I do not hate it. That is because Chevy has not done what Nissan has done. Nissan asked for this kind of response when they made it clear that they were targeting the TT and made outlandish claims in order to "prove" they had surpassed the performance of the TT. By doing that, they asked for Porsche fans to scruitinize the GTR closely to determine if the claims are really true. When it became more and more apparent that Nissan's claim that a stock GTR ran a 7:29 at the ring was a lie, and that the claimed 3.3 0-60 mph time could be obtained only by voiding the warranty, and that transmissions weren't strong enough for the power, you're damn right we Porsche fans are going to yell "FOUL!". When atheletes use steroids to beat opponents at the Olympics, they have their gold medals and world records stripped from them if they are found out. In a sense, we are stripping away the hype and revealing the lie. Damn straight we are going to develop an attitude toward the GTR because of the crap Nissan has pulled!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
I am not a Vette fan, however, I do not hate it. That is because Chevy has not done what Nissan has done. Nissan asked for this kind of response when they made it clear that they were targeting the TT and made outlandish claims in order to "prove" they had surpassed the performance of the TT. By doing that, they asked for Porsche fans to scruitinize the GTR closely to determine if the claims are really true. When it became more and more apparent that Nissan's claim that a stock GTR ran a 7:29 at the ring was a lie, and that the claimed 3.3 0-60 mph time could be obtained only by voiding the warranty, and that transmissions weren't strong enough for the power, you're damn right we Porsche fans are going to yell "FOUL!". When atheletes use steroids to beat opponents at the Olympics, they have their gold medals and world records stripped from them if they are found out. In a sense, we are stripping away the hype and revealing the lie. Damn straight we are going to develop an attitude toward the GTR because of the crap Nissan has pulled!
Even if there was no LC, the GTR is still faster than the turbo around ANY track. What part of that do you think is "FOUL"? Remember that Nissan NEVER advertised the GTR to be faster than the turbo in a straight line, but rather on the track. So far EVERY test has shown that the GTR performs on the track against the turbo as claimed. Now explain to me why you think this is a lie from Nissan and the GTR is not the car it is hyped to be? It was developed to destroy the turbo on the track. It has fulfilled that promise, so much so that no one even bothers to test the GTR against the turbo anymore, because we all know what the result will end up like. What more do you want? Is it because it has beaten the turbo, which costs a lot more, that is making you hate it? That is the underlying truth to all this hate aint it? Admit it.

Last edited by Quacker; 12-05-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:04 AM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Nissan & their fanbois were bragging about the new GT-R... long before it reached production. Nissan's marketing team compared their GT-R, a semi-luxury 4 door coupe, to a real Sports Car.

Nissan runs a "RINGER" @ Nurburgring and issues PR bragging about the ~7:38 lap time.

Then... they issue another PR... with the fabled ~7:29 lap @ Nurburgring.

Porsche buys a "stock" GT-R, and is unable to come close to the ring lap times reported by Nissan.

Car magazines also test "Stock GT-R's, and get the same results.

When Nissan releases the GT-R to the public, their customers experience a rash of tranny failures. Nissan denies warranty claims, even for turning off the VDC (Vechicle Dynamic Control). Looks like Nissan used the electronic gizmo's on the GT-R to reduce drive-train failures.

All in all, this adds up to:

A. Publicity nightmare

B. Casting doubts about both Nissan's Halo car... and Nissan's credibility.

Last edited by trumperZ06; 12-05-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned
HUGH JASS has a spectacular aura aboutHUGH JASS has a spectacular aura about
Even if there was no LC, the GTR is still faster than the turbo around ANY track. What part of that do you think is "FOUL"? Remember that Nissan NEVER advertised the GTR to be faster than the turbo in a straight line, but rather on the track. So far EVERY test has shown that the GTR performs on the track against the turbo as claimed. Now explain to me why you think this is a lie from Nissan and the GTR is not the car it is hyped to be? It was developed to destroy the turbo on the track. It has fulfilled that promise, so much so that no one even bothers to test the GTR against the turbo anymore, because we all know what the result will end up like. What more do you want? Is it because it has beaten the turbo, which costs a lot more, that is making you hate it? That is the underlying truth to all this hate aint it? Admit it.
shhhh. You're annoying me and I like the GTR

Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Blah blah blah...it's all white noise from you.

Since I actually own one, drive one, and track one, I'll take my chances with the turbo.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
It has not been demonstrated that a stock GTR (off the show room floor) is faster than a properly driven TT. I think we have established that a GTR is easier to drive fast by the normal Joe than a TT, but the question still remains. So, we are'nt allowed to be perturbed that Nissan lies about the 'ring time and uses the press to mislead everyone into believing it is a 3.3 second 0-60 mph car? Nissan lies time and again and we are supposed to respect them?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Blah blah blah...it's all white noise from you.

Since I actually own one, drive one, and track one, I'll take my chances with the turbo.
Yeah baby, that's what I was trying to say!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by HUGH JASS
shhhh. You're annoying me and I like the GTR
Then don't read my posts.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Banned
HUGH JASS has a spectacular aura aboutHUGH JASS has a spectacular aura about
Then don't read my posts.
haha, you didn't even read mine. I was replying to someone else.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by HUGH JASS
haha, you didn't even read mine. I was replying to someone else.
Oops! Sorry HUGH ***! My sincere apologies. Must be my age.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 PM
When you eliminate Nissan's ringer, Motor Trend's 7:40 for the 997TT is FASTER than Driver's Republic's 7:55.9 for the GTR. So the GTR does not out perform the TT. To be fair, I did not count Porsche's claim of 7:38 for the TT just as I did not count Nissan's outrageous claim of 7:29.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
When you eliminate Nissan's ringer, Motor Trend's 7:40 for the 997TT is FASTER than Driver's Republic's 7:55.9 for the GTR. So the GTR does not out perform the TT. To be fair, I did not count Porsche's claim of 7:38 for the TT just as I did not count Nissan's outrageous claim of 7:29.
But that also means that MT's 997TT is faster than DR's 7:49 for the GT2. I think the GTR should be able to pull between 7:40 to 7:45 with a really good driver and perfect weather condition.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:43 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
USC - slow down - HUGH JASS is not the enemy

Like Bobby said: I own one and will take my chances with my Turbo.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaeS4
But that also means that MT's 997TT is faster than DR's 7:49 for the GT2. I think the GTR should be able to pull between 7:40 to 7:45 with a really good driver and perfect weather condition.

That I can agree with. Logically, the GT-R in Suzuki's hands is low 7:40's, high 7:30's with a legitimately stock car.

Likewise the 997 TT would be slower on PS2's than MPSC, but faster than Aichtner with Walter driving. So they would be around the same time.

Would be interesting to see.

However, from GT-R guys saying they've tried PS2's and the RE070's have more grip, I'm convinced those tires are the GT-R's best kept secret, otherwise it's a fat pig.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.