997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:34 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Get your facts straight.
Now that is rich.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:45 AM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Hhmmmm.... trap speed in the quarter mile can be calculated on:

weight/horsepower ratio.

ET can be a function of a driver's ability to launch, and traction available.

Trap speed @ the end of the quarter mile is dependant on horsepower.

Three formulas are available:

LRT formula... 129 mph. /weight 4000lbs./ trap speed ~ 129 mph.

Horsepower required = 732 hp.

Patrick Hale's formula.... horsepower = 670 hp.

Geoffrey's Fox's formula... horsepower = 706 hp.

In ALL THREE FORMULA's...

the horsepower required to achieve a 129 mph. trap speed is

WAY ABOVE the power output of a stock GT-R !!!

Nothing remarkable.... about a highly modified GT-R trapping the 1/4 mile @ 129 mph.

If Nissan were to publish these times we would simply conclude it's a...

RINGER !!!

It is good performance for a highly modified GT-R on Mickey Thompson's
"DRAG RADICALS" though.

About the same 1/4 mile times as the best posted...

with a Stock Z06 on run-crap tires.

Last edited by trumperZ06; 12-08-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
This thread has gotten really off topic. We are talking about sports cars and the Nurburgring. As HC has said before, it doesn't take much to make a car go fast in the quarter. Aren't their 9-second Civics? With the exception of Mr. Suzuki, no one else has been able to get the stock GTR under 7:50. That is the topic.
Yeah, but it costs a lot more than $12000 to make a civic run in the 10s. Besides, i can make a go-cart run in the 9's - what's your point?

Last edited by Quacker; 12-07-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by trumperZ06

About the same 1/4 mile times as the best posted...

with a Stock Z06 on run-crap tires.
After how many attempts though....a hundred? in reality, GTR will smoke Z06 9 outta 10 times at the lights. The Z06 driver will have to get his launch perfect to beat the GTR driver, and it aint easy to do that on demand.
Besides, we all know how crappy the build quality of the Z06 is, but that's for another forum...

Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Hhmmmm.... trap speed in the quarter mile can be calculated on:

weight/horsepower ratio.

ET can be a function of a driver's ability to launch, and traction available.

Trap speed @ the end of the quarter mile is strictly dependant on horsepower.

Three formulas are available:

LRT formula... 129 mph. /weight 4000lbs./ trap speed ~ 129 mph.

Horsepower required = 732 hp.

Patrick Hale's formula.... horsepower = 670 hp.

Geoffrey's Fox's formula... horsepower = 706 hp.
Be careful with those formulas. Hard to argue with the basic concept that trap speed DEPENDS on power and mass (Newton taught us that).

Issue is that the formulas you are using include some baseline/calibration constants and coefficients that make the formula work accurately only for a certain class of cars/conditions.

A couple of things to be careful of:

1. LC or any good AWD launch will have you on the power for longer, which is going to increase Traps a bit

2. Formulas don't know about fancy dual clutch trannies. Less power, but being applied continuously will be equal to more power that has to pause for shifting.

3. Assuming your numbers are crank HP, cars have widely differing drivetrain losses.

4. Lots and lots of minor things like aero, ambient conditions, ec, etc.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnTurbo
That was in manual mode. I hit the rev limiter at the top of 2nd.

Here's more details of the car and that 10.8 run:
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26937

John, congrats and very impressive. That car sounds great in the video. Loud as hell and I like loud. Did cobb dyno the car for you? Wondering if those online calculators are truly accurate. I think I read 570 kit, which would mean those online calculators are way off. no surprise on that. I think as much trouble as that tranny has it holds the secret to this cars times. Just like the knew PDK makes a carrera NA Porsche scream as well.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 AM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chrisn
Be careful with those formulas. Hard to argue with the basic concept that trap speed DEPENDS on power and mass (Newton taught us that).

Issue is that the formulas you are using include some baseline/calibration constants and coefficients that make the formula work accurately only for a certain class of cars/conditions.

A couple of things to be careful of:

1. LC or any good AWD launch will have you on the power for longer, which is going to increase Traps a bit

2. Formulas don't know about fancy dual clutch trannies. Less power, but being applied continuously will be equal to more power that has to pause for shifting.

3. Assuming your numbers are crank HP, cars have widely differing drivetrain losses.

4. Lots and lots of minor things like aero, ambient conditions, ec, etc.

That's about as close as you're gonna get with the limited information available !!!

Anyone can mod a car to get more power...

Short of having it put on an engine dyno, the trap speed is a pretty good indication of the horsepower being produced.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Quacker
After how many attempts though....a hundred? in reality, GTR will smoke Z06 9 outta 10 times at the lights. The Z06 driver will have to get his launch perfect to beat the GTR driver, and it aint easy to do that on demand.
Besides, we all know how crappy the build quality of the Z06 is, but that's for another forum...
Hhmmm... the Gt-R breaking into the "ten's"...
that's being discussed is highly modded/on drag radicals...
running @ a track...

and your point is ???

Build Quality: The GT-R's been available here for what ~ 6 months,

and Nissan's already denying warranty claims for powertrain failures !!!

Do you even read your posts BEFORE submitting a reply ???

Last edited by trumperZ06; 12-07-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
running @ a track...
How is a car with stock turbos, pipes, and tune "highly" modded? Please do explain. You also compare the times to a stock ZO6. Are we supposed to be shocked? That car isn't even considered in the initial argument because no one questions its performance. Either way you look at it, those trap speeds are indicative of a lot of power the stock turbos are pushing out. In fact I don't know of any car running those trap speeds on stock turbos.

Last edited by Monaco; 12-07-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned
running @ a track...

and your point is ???

Build Quality: The GT-R's been available here for what ~ 6 months,

and Nissan's already denying warranty claims for powertrain failures !!!

Do you even read your posts BEFORE submitting a reply ???
My point is give credit where credit is due. The guy has the fastest 1/4 mile R35 GTR in the country - if not the world. Yet, you sound like an **** with your comment.
He also has abused the F**ck out of his tranny - around 100 launches, and it's still holding up. Not as weak as you all make it out to be is it?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
My point is give credit where credit is due. The guy has the fastest 1/4 mile R35 GTR in the country - if not the world. Yet, you sound like an **** with your comment.
He also has abused the F**ck out of his tranny - around 100 launches, and it's still holding up. Not as weak as you all make it out to be is it?
1. He's got the fastest known R35 GT-R on the internet.

2. He's abused his transmission, and it has survived. So this confirms that there are no problems with the GT-R's tranny.

Again...like I've said...I'll take my chances in my 997TT, or 996TT for that matter.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-07-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, but it costs a lot more than $12000 to make a civic run in the 10s. Besides, i can make a go-cart run in the 9's - what's your point?
My point is anyone can make a car go fast, just as you said. It may cost more than 12 grand to make the civic go fast, but the Civic is a hell of a lot cheaper to begin with. This is no great feat. Make it go fast for 24 hours.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
A little overly sensitive there Quacker !!!

You're starting to sound like a "potty mouth" !!!

This thread started out questioning Nissan's credibility with their reported Ring times. Especially the FABLED ~7:29 lap. The conclusion is that...

NISSAN ran a RINGER !!!

Now you GT-R fanbois are bragging about 1/4 mile times getting into the "ten's"...

with a modded GT-R equiped with drag radical tires,

that took the stock ~ 480 hp. engine and boosted it to ~ 700 hp. !!!

It may be a first for the new GT-R...

but other brands have been achieving that "feat" for years.

Some have even been able to turn "ten's"... STOCK.

Johny Turbo has pushed the envelope with the GT-R...

and He (not you)...

deserves Congrats for his efforts !!!

Other's will follow... that's kinda the way it works !!!

Oh... and about the reliablity issues...

GT-R Owners are the ones who reported that ...

Nissan is denying Warranty claims, on the GT-R's powertrain.

Last edited by trumperZ06; 12-07-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
How is a car with stock turbos, pipes, and tune "highly" modded? Please do explain. You also compare the times to a stock ZO6. Are we supposed to be shocked? That car isn't even considered in the initial argument because no one questions its performance. Either way you look at it, those trap speeds are indicative of a lot of power the stock turbos are pushing out. In fact I don't know of any car running those trap speeds on stock turbos.

it was tuned by cobb racing, how is that not modded?

props to the tuner, excellent job.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
1. He's got the fastest known R35 GT-R on the internet.

2. He's abused his transmission, and it has survived. So this confirms that there are no problems with the GT-R's tranny.

Again...like I've said...I'll take my chances in my 997TT, or 996TT for that matter.

yup, one good tranny doesn't prove anything, I would hope that there are at least a few out there surviving. But you gotta admit that the fact that Nissan is removing the launch control from all future GTR's says it all.

As for This GTR, excellent run.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.