997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prche951
it was tuned by cobb racing, how is that not modded?
Never said it wasn't modded; hell I even acknowledged the mods. I would hardly consider it "highly" modded though. It might make close to 700 hp, but it didn't take a lot of mods to get there, unlike a lot of other cars out there. The block, head, turbos, intercooler, clutch, diffs, axles, ecu, are all still stock with the exception of a piggyback and pipes.

Last edited by Monaco; 12-07-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 AM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
[quote=JohnTurbo;2163089]
Originally Posted by heavychevy

I would appreciate it if you get your facts straight before you start talking about someone else's car. I say this because you're talking about MY GT-R.

The car is running the stock turbos. It's also running a straight midpipe and titanium catback exhaust. ECU tuned to up stock boost. Upgraded air intake (from panel filters to cones.)

As far as my "motto" that you mention, I merely stated that because I'm not afraid if the tranny does in fact break. We must push the car to its limits in order to discover what its capable of.

And I did not only run once with launch control. I have about *100* launches on the car and many with the higher HP. I launched it twice at the strip last night -- mis-shifting (hit rev limiter) in both runs. We're heading back to the track tomorrow to improve on things.

So again, if you're going to talk smack about someone's car, please get your facts straight. Because your implications are that the car owner is a LIAR by the way you made your statement.

Thank you.
Excellent response, direct to the point and civil. But i hope you do realized that you quoted Heavychevy, not Galactus. BTW, welcome to 6speed.

EDIT: Never mind, you got it right the first time.

Last edited by jaeS4; 12-07-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Never said it wasn't modded; hell I even acknowledged the mods. I would hardly consider it "highly" modded though. It might make close to 700 hp, but it didn't take a lot of mods to get there, unlike a lot of other cars out there. The block, head, turbos, intercooler, clutch, diffs, axles, ecu, are all still stock with the exception of a piggyback and pipes.

agreed, the turbos are obviously capable of lots of power. However, the reason the car accelerates so fast is also it's achilles heel. This car may not have failed, but that stock clutch/tranny will go like others have done before it and it will still cost 20k. The carrera is also going to be fast for an NA car and the turbo will be real fast with pdk when it gets it.

However, give me a 6 speed any day. Even if I am a second slower than a new auto/stick with launch control, I will still have more fun.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
The GTR clutch costs as much as an entire 700 kit for the 997tt, just to put things into perspective.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Nissan now using 7:29 in official publications

Hey guys. I just got my "thank you gift" from Nissan: a nice GT-R book, with great photography. They have a two-page spread on the (in)famous Nurburgring run on April 16/17, 2008. Very prominent listing of the 7:29 time and that it was second faster production car around the Ring (#1 is the Zonda).

Not new news, but thought it was a bit notable that-- far from backing down-- they are now using Suzuki's 7:29 run as the advertising blurb. The Owner's Manual says 7:38.

-Chris

Old 12-07-2008, 04:52 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Quacker
After how many attempts though....a hundred? in reality, GTR will smoke Z06 9 outta 10 times at the lights. The Z06 driver will have to get his launch perfect to beat the GTR driver, and it aint easy to do that on demand.
Besides, we all know how crappy the build quality of the Z06 is, but that's for another forum...
9/10 times huh?

This...coming from someone who doesn't own either a GT-R or a Z06.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-07-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
9/10 times huh?
I lol'ed on that one!! Let me guess, trans. breaks after the tenth time! ahah a!! jokes jokes guys

Old 12-07-2008, 05:14 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I lol'ed on that one!! Let me guess, trans. breaks after the tenth time! ahah a!! jokes jokes guys
Nice...

What makes Quacker/Z07/etc, etc, etc pathetic is the fact that he doesn't own the any of the cars he's talking about.

I can at least respect Chris's opinion because he owns and tracks both his cars (even though we often disagree.)

Last edited by bbywu; 12-07-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:58 PM
JohnTurbo is infamous around these parts
For the record, my GT-R has NOT been properly tuned yet. Cobb did make a custom map for us based on some stuff we asked for, but we have not properly tuned the car yet (i.e. access a dyno for a few hours and tweak things.) Our only 'tuning' has been done one pass at a time at the track -- sometimes waiting 2 hours at a time; hardly an efficient way to tune.

But speaking of records, set a new one today... 10.80@126.54. Our traps are a bit low and we really need to get on a dyno in the next week or so.

We did have a KILLER 60ft today during the 10.80 run. 1.51!!!

And oh yeah, after hooking that hard and pulling that 1.51 (full launch control used) I am beginning more and more (as are others) to believe that this 'weak GT-R tranny' stuff IS A MYTH. I really believe it was a bad batch of gearboxes and/or it had more to do with many successive launches and/or also high temps that couldn't protect the gears. Because I continue to launch the hell out of the car and have no problems at all -- yet I'm letting things cool down between launches.

Here's video of today's 10.80 run:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mppi7zlcyE[/media]

* Not sure how to embed this. ???

Last edited by JohnTurbo; 12-07-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
Be careful with those formulas. Hard to argue with the basic concept that trap speed DEPENDS on power and mass (Newton taught us that).

Issue is that the formulas you are using include some baseline/calibration constants and coefficients that make the formula work accurately only for a certain class of cars/conditions.

A couple of things to be careful of:

1. LC or any good AWD launch will have you on the power for longer, which is going to increase Traps a bit

WRONG, AWD decreases trap speeds as does a better launch. Notice that Johns fastest ET is not his highest trap speed. This is very common. RWD and AWD cars of the same kind will always net higher trap speed in the WRD car due to less weight from the additional components and less non-aero drag.

2. Formulas don't know about fancy dual clutch trannies. Less power, but being applied continuously will be equal to more power that has to pause for shifting.
This is drag racing where powershifts, sometime clutchless are common, no different raping a manual than a GT-R tranny that is planning on breaking anyways if you launch it.

4. Lots and lots of minor things like aero, ambient conditions, ec, etc.

How is a car with stock turbos, pipes, and tune "highly" modded? Please do explain. You also compare the times to a stock ZO6. Are we supposed to be shocked? That car isn't even considered in the initial argument because no one questions its performance. Either way you look at it, those trap speeds are indicative of a lot of power the stock turbos are pushing out. In fact I don't know of any car running those trap speeds on stock turbos.

Sorry dude but if you are running:

mickey thompsons
Methanol
19 psi
wastegate actuators
electronic boost controller
along with aluminum intercooler piping
silicon hose couplers
straight pipes

It's not lightly modded. It's considered bolt-ons, but lets not act like it's just a tune here. This is a highly modified (not heavily which I presume to be internal engine upgrades) vehicle on MT slicks. Heck if he has the straight pipes the car isnt eve street legal.

I would think a mid 11's car with that much put into it should run high 10's with MT radials on it. Let's not act like it ran 9's or something.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:06 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnTurbo
For the record, my GT-R has NOT been properly tuned yet. Cobb did make a custom map for us based on some stuff we asked for, but we have not properly tuned the car yet (i.e. access a dyno for a few hours and tweak things.) Our only 'tuning' has been done one pass at a time at the track -- sometimes waiting 2 hours at a time; hardly an efficient way to tune.

But speaking of records, set a new one today... 10.80@126.54. Our traps are a bit low and we really need to get on a dyno in the next week or so.

We did have a KILLER 60ft today during the 10.80 run. 1.51!!!

And oh yeah, after hooking that hard and pulling that 1.51 (full launch control used) I am beginning more and more (as are others) to believe that this 'weak GT-R tranny' stuff IS A MYTH. I really believe it was a bad batch of gearboxes and/or it had more to do with many successive launches and/or also high temps that couldn't protect the gears. Because I continue to launch the hell out of the car and have no problems at all -- yet I'm letting things cool down between launches.

Here's video of today's 10.80 run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mppi7zlcyE

* Not sure how to embed this. ???

I'm sure you have heard this or may in the future, but Mickey thompsons are easier on the drivetrain than street tires and generic drag radials like KDW's. Why? Because they prevent the number one drivetrain/rear end killer, WHEEL HOP. Your car is safer on Mickey Thompsons than any other tire because the sidewalls are much softer.

You seem to have been ok with the number of launches you've had, but appearantly everyone does have that luck. Just like some guys got a Z06 who's roof didnt fly off, even though they lived in very hot climates, and some guys didnt get a 2nd gear pop-out in a 996 TT no matter how they tracked, launched, or misshifted. It doesnt mean that every last tranny will fail.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:29 PM
HC, I guess we have different definitions of what's considered "highly" modified. Relative to stock parts, yes you can consider this "highly" modified since most pipes and couplings have been upgraded, but over all I would disagree. My experience has been from the Supra world, and something like this is considered a little higher than BPU (BASIC performance upgrade), probably BPU+++ tops. There is still A LOT of room to go, pending that everything can hold it. Even if he wasn't going 9's, I still think its crazy that these stock turbos are taking it to the 10s. That's what's getting me excited. Like I've said, I don't think there are many stock turbo cars that have hit numbers like this.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 AM
HC, I guess we have different definitions of what's considered "highly" modified. Relative to stock parts, yes you can consider this "highly" modified since most pipes and couplings have been upgraded, but over all I would disagree. My experience has been from the Supra world, and something like this is considered a little higher than BPU (BASIC performance upgrade), probably BPU+++ tops. There is still A LOT of room to go, pending that everything can hold it. Even if he wasn't going 9's, I still think its crazy that these stock turbos are taking it to the 10s. That's what's getting me excited. Like I've said, I don't think there are many stock turbo cars that have hit numbers like this.

Simply put, we are talking about a 570 hp kit with meth, additional mods and a custom tune that goes above and beyond the base kit by good bit. Add Micky Thompsons and all of a sudden, an increase of 7-10 mph over stock and a ET decrease of .9 isnt spectacular for what you've added. It's great that he's the first, but high tens for a cars with LOTS of mods on it that starts in the mid-high 11's is not a spectacular feat. That's all I'm saying.

Just like adding a 150-200 shot of NOS. It's not a lot of mods, nor heavily modded, but it adds a lot of power, and lowers times sginificantly.

You can find stock turbo 996 TT/GT2's without meth trapping high 120's with simply nothing more than a tune and exhaust and running 11.0 etc. Guys simply choose to do different turbos than risking meth injection which hasnt caught on with the Porsches yet. And Porsches are horrible drag racing cars for high hp applications. In fact, the Porsches and the Nissan are pretty much the only cars with turbos big enough (excluding veyron etc.) to run tens with the stock turbos. So it's not like there are 100 cars that should be able to do this because they have big enough turbos.

I'm not underestimating the effort, but I'm not overestimating it either. I think it's great, but not all that great.

BOTTOM LINE- I havent seen any dyno numbers for the car, but it's obviously making way more than 570 hp. It's weight-power ratio is only that of what it should be for that type of speed around that of a stock Z06 on DR's which have also run 10.7-10.8 with simply DR's added.

So what's the big deal, this is still power to weight.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Galactus
Heavily modified? The Meth kit (which is probably hurting power btw) is the only mod I would even consider to be in that category. Full exhaust system, air filters , wastegate actuators, intercooler pipes and couplings, BOV and a reflashed ecu? Running 10.80's in a 4000 pound car? With over 100 launches on the car already and now cutting a 1.51 60 foot time this tranny may allow John to run 9's next year with a BPU++++: bolt on turbo kit and an intercooler upgrade.
Since when has a Meth kit hurt the power????

I garauntee you this car is making well over the 570 hp that the kit supplies.

Stock Motor GT500's have been running tens for over a year now. This isnt ground breaking territory.

BTW 10's are relatively easy when compared to 9's and 10.8 isnt close. But maybe a BPU++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

will get the job done like it does on most any other car.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Meth significantly lowers the IAT and EGT to allow more boost without detonation, and also is a significant octane booster. In a 944 turbo water/meth injection has allowed up to mid 20's psi boost on the stock K26 turbo - an insane amount of boost considering the stock turbo on pump gas superheats the intake charge when boosting over 16 psi. In the 996/997 world it has not caught on because it is very easy to get huge power on moderate boost levels

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.