997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Galactus
Heavily modified? The Meth kit (which is probably hurting power btw) is the only mod I would even consider to be in that category. Full exhaust system, air filters , wastegate actuators, intercooler pipes and couplings, BOV and a reflashed ecu? Running 10.80's in a 4000 pound car? With over 100 launches on the car already and now cutting a 1.51 60 foot time this tranny may allow John to run 9's next year with a BPU++++: bolt on turbo kit and an intercooler upgrade.

<table width="580" align="center" border="0" cellspacing="10"><tbody><tr><td align="left">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td border="0" width="100" align="center">
</td> <td align="left">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td border="0" width="100" align="center">
</td> <td align="left">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td border="0" align="center">
</td> <td align="left">
</td> <td align="left">
</td> <td align="left">
</td> <td align="left">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

dude, meth injection is like running race gas. A car tuned on meth is like a car tuned on C16, except better because meth cools off the engine. Now that explains how the car ran what it did. I was actually thinking it was a freak car. lol

Old 12-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I garauntee you this car is making well over the 570 hp that the kit supplies.

BTW 10's are relatively easy when compared to 9's and 10.8 isnt close. But maybe a BPU++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
LOL!!! We call that APU (Advanced.....). I know the "pluses" are fun to add. Yeah this car is definitely pushing mid-600 whp. No where near the 570.

Last edited by Monaco; 12-08-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
LOL!!! We call that APU (Advanced.....). I know the "pluses" are fun to add. Yeah this car is definitely pushing mid-600 whp. No where near the 570.

well, I'd venture that the 570 kit is without meth tuning. With meth, like you say mid 600's easy. Makes sense, since I have seen meth kits in supercharged mustangs and evo's make easily 20% more power and torque. Even without tuning, I have seen these kits make 20-40 ft-lbs. The stuff works.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:39 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heavychevy

Originally Posted by chrisn
Be careful with those formulas. Hard to argue with the basic concept that trap speed DEPENDS on power and mass (Newton taught us that).

Issue is that the formulas you are using include some baseline/calibration constants and coefficients that make the formula work accurately only for a certain class of cars/conditions.

HC's response:

WRONG, AWD decreases trap speeds as does a better launch. Notice that Johns fastest ET is not his highest trap speed. This is very common. RWD and AWD cars of the same kind will always net higher trap speed in the WRD car due to less weight from the additional components and less non-aero drag.

This is drag racing where powershifts, sometime clutchless are common, no different raping a manual than a GT-R tranny that is planning on breaking anyways if you launch it.
HC: You make my point for me. These formulas have an arbitrary baseline. They don't "know" about the any of the factors you highlight and therefore cannot be relied upon for precise insight into crank HP when comparing different cars with different drivetrains. My point is strengthened by the fact that the OP on this OT sub-topic himself included results from a few different magic formulas, and the results varied quite a bit.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I was only making simple points that neither AWD or LC increase trap speed, unless, like in the case of the GT-R, the VDC has to be left on which limits power to the wheels.

And a RWD GT-R would still trap faster.

You dont actually mention any formulas, more like factors, and they are imprecise.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Galactus:

You are missing the point (as usual) which is that the car has extensive modifications over an already substantial power gain kit. This car is easily making mid 600's or more so it's not losing power from the Meth. Good reasoning seems to be out of your reach.

Take any turbo car and tune it and you can add 60-70 hp easily, and we all know the GT-R is somewhat underrated, likely up to a little over 500, so you're already looking at near 600 hp. Add the exhaust, intake, EBC, wastegate controllers, etc etc etc, and you should get the point. And you can still increase power with meth to safe levels without a dyno tune, so you are wrong, it is not likely that he's losing power with the meth kit.

The fact is that he's making lots of power and is on drag radials. and a 128 mph trap isnt anything we havent seen, nor a 10.8, even from cars that heavy.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Water/Methanol Injection CAN increase power if TUNED for it on a Dyno. I have personally seen over 10 cars with kits LOSE power, and in particular mid range torque with Water/Meth Injection kits before being tuned properly. John's car has not been tuned on a dyno for his kit yet, which is why it is probably hurting his mid range and top end at the moment. With tuning he will no doubt go 133mph+ and probably get down to a 10.5 or so.
I thought he has a tune, maybe not the best but it is a tuned car.

Im 100% sure that the car isnt loosing power because of the kit, they would have removed it otherwise.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Why call the Kit 570? We know it is not. At least get that right.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
^The kit itself from HKS consists of:
  • HKS aluminium hard pipe kit for R35 GT-R
  • HKS silicon hose joiners
  • HKS wastegate actuators for standard R35 GT-R turbos
  • HKS Electronic Valve Controller (EVC) boost controller
  • HKS dump and front pipes (delete all catalytic converters)
That is what gives the 570 hp as claimed. The owner has, in addition, a Cobb Tuning accessport, full-exhaust, and methanol injection to give its current output. He also claims its not fully tuned yet. From what I understand, the access-port is a plug-in piggyback flash made for the stock setup for different hp settings (depending on fuel). The access-port does not account for additional mods unless it is tuned to do so. So I guess we will see what numbers are put out after a proper tune.

Last edited by Monaco; 12-08-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Water/Methanol Injection CAN increase power if TUNED for it on a Dyno. I have personally seen over 10 cars with kits LOSE power, and in particular mid range torque with Water/Meth Injection kits before being tuned properly. John's car has not been tuned on a dyno for his kit yet, which is why it is probably hurting his mid range and top end at the moment. With tuning he will no doubt go 133mph+ and probably get down to a 10.5 or so.
Yes, meth injection can cause a loss in low power no tune cars. In high power cars with a tune it is not loosing power but adding tons of it. Unless you have a stupid tuner in which case they should not use it.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Why don't you guys start a new thread about quarter mile times? This thread is about road racing. Which is really what these cars were designed for.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Why don't you guys start a new thread about quarter mile times? This thread is about road racing. Which is really what these cars were designed for.

I would guess that the 1/4 issue is that it gives an idea as to the power a car puts out. That is the only reason I reference it. But I agree that if we wanted drag cars we could just buy an old plymouth aspen or dart, stuff a big block crate motor and stick a supercharger on it and bam 9-10 second et's all day long.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:17 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Trojan: that's disappointing to hear from you. Are you committed to 200 pages or not?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Trojan: that's disappointing to hear from you. Are you committed to 200 pages or not?
Be nice, Chris...it is the holidays, after all...

Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM

That was a good one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.