997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:18 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Well what did you expect? For Nissan to come clean?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:33 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I'll try to make it Chris. Although i have a 996 TT, the 997 platform should be better......but from laptimes i have shared with you, it seems like you need to fine tune your driving.
More than fine tune, my friend. I need to lead-follow with you. Amazing times. I think your 996TT is a ringer. ;-)

Would love to let you take it out for a session and see what you can do.

Last edited by chrisn; 10-03-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 AM
SRW
SRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prche951
I do think NISSAN LIED, absolutely. Look at the times and tell me that a 4000 lb car with 480 horsepower can beat a 3000lb car with 600+ hp that is designed around the track. Impossible. There is no doubt that there was lying there and they have been caught.
You're insulting the fanboys with a PS3 and GT5

Old 10-03-2008, 11:54 AM
techer is infamous around these parts
i'm late to this party but i saw where you said in the first entry that horst von saurma didn't believe the 7'38' time for the gt-r. can you refer me to the article where he said that.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Unless Porsche can prove their claim of 7:54 and comes out with some video and any actual recorded document of their "test", then their claim is bogus as well. At least Nissan has a video to prove it, the only questionable part is Nissan's HP rating, which is probably the only explanation how the GTR was able to accomplish 7:29. I think it's safe to say that it's not 485hp but more than likely about 540hp

Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaeS4
Unless Porsche can prove their claim of 7:54 and comes out with some video and any actual recorded document of their "test", then their claim is bogus as well. At least Nissan has a video to prove it, the only questionable part is Nissan's HP rating, which is probably the only explanation how the GTR was able to accomplish 7:29. I think it's safe to say that it's not 485hp but more than likely about 540hp
Its still phenomenal to beat other 3000 lbs cars with 600+hp car @ 7:29, it just shows how well balanced it is.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
BldGBloc is infamous around these parts
I am a fan of both cars and the engineering that has been placed into both of these monsters, however, that being said.... I realize that there are a lot of variables to consider in these ring times that were posted for the GTR, but something just does not add up. I am not saying that these cars were ringers, however, they may have been, however, it is also very likely that Nissan is understating the horsepower that this thing is putting out. Some will say it is due to the "magical" low-friction bearings that Nissan used to limit drivetrain losses, thus generating up to 90% of the engine's power to the road. Hmmm.... that maybe so, however, I have spent a little time doing a patent search for these bearings and have not found anything regarding them. I am not saying they don't exist, for I am no patent attorney or agent that has access to all the files concerning previous inventions, but I would just like to see the design and composition of these improved bearings to reduce friction. Were they plasma coated or a new design? What's the deal?

I am more inclined to believe that nissan just underrated the car due to customer fear of GR 6 transmission failure, if the power levels would be stated too close to the transmission's limits of functionality and preservation, there would be too much fear in commitment to a destined to failure piece of equipment. However, in order to strengthen the internals they would have had to use denser... forged materials, which would defeat the purpose of the extra power, creating more mass to rotate, generating more driveline loss and extra overall weight for the vehicle. My thought on the matter is that the 7:38 is probably legit.... the 7:29 quite a stretch. I am really into engineering and physics and something just seems a little off on these stated times.... however, as I previously mentioned there are a lot of variables to consider, it is just that those variables seem to still fall into the category of this vehicle is most likely either juiced up a little, or the power statements are grossly underrated.

Some believe this understatement is due to insurance, I feel as though the underwriters at insurance companies are most likely more concerned with performance capabilites and cost of parts to replace than they are with stated horsepower figures. If someone has access to the schematics of these low-friction bearings that Nissan has eluded to I would love to see them... I am quite intrigued. But like I said, the 7:29 at the claimed power, even claimed to the wheels does seem to be a bit of a stretch, even with all the aero, and chassis technology that has been employed in this machine.

Either way both the 911 and GTR are great cars, we should all just appreciate them both for what they were intended for and capable of, even if we are not sure exactly what their true capabilities are

Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 PM
blackbeast99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Well what did you expect? For Nissan to come clean?

Old 10-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vladcanada
Its still phenomenal to beat other 3000 lbs cars with 600+hp car @ 7:29, it just shows how well balanced it is.
no, it just shows how much they are willing to cheat or lie..

I'm going to start selling swamp land...

I have never had a problem with the GTR, in fact I saw onew this week at the track and I liked it, even though it is big. I just do not like the false advertising campaign that nissan is doing with the car

Old 10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
◡ KUZU◕7◕ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by s4awd@yahoo.com
Is there any magazine test where the 911 turbo beats the GTR on a track?
No

Old 10-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SRW
You're insulting the fanboys with a PS3 and GT5

ROTFLMAO

Old 10-03-2008, 04:59 PM
sti05ak is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by master_jcp
Porsche > Nissan
+1, Id take my 997tt over a nissan anyday, anytime, anywhere.

This just supports the saying: You get what you pay for

Old 10-03-2008, 05:21 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sti05ak
+1, Id take my 997tt over a nissan anyday, anytime, anywhere.
I have to say it is ironic that your TT is listed for sale under your post...

Old 10-03-2008, 07:32 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Prche951
no, it just shows how much they are willing to cheat or lie..

I'm going to start selling swamp land...

I have never had a problem with the GTR, in fact I saw onew this week at the track and I liked it, even though it is big. I just do not like the false advertising campaign that nissan is doing with the car
The only thing that they might have cheated and lied about is the 485hp the engine is supposed to be making. Actually, we're almost sure that it is not only making 485hp, more like 540hp minimum.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Sakred is infamous around these parts
So wait is there any magazine, or documented head to head test where the 997 Turbo has shown to be faster then the GTR on a track????

Id like to porsche Fanboys to answer that question.

Hammad

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.