997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:25 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Who's the other manufacturer?
Audi was implied, but not verified. The Sport Auto supertest is coming out in just over a month. Supposedly is going to be very ugly for the goDZirRa fAnZ

Old 12-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Galactus
I don't call a car with a pulley set, wheel bearings, exhaust ecu flash highly tuned? Larger turbos and intercooler, internal engine work would all qualify for that label. Exhaust, intake and a reflash? Nope that would be mild bolt ons. With those the Animal House Racing GT-R ran a 10.8@133.5mph without LC...or faster than everyone on that list except:

09.67 @ 149.8 – ToddZ / RWD
09.79 @ 146.4 - dk996tt / 997TT AWD
09.91 @ 145.6 - Markski / RWD
10.45 @ 146.8 - Divexxtreme / RWD
10.50 @ 140.6 - Joetwint / AWD

For a 3900 pound car that is a pretty impressive trap speed for a few bolt ons and a mail order tune. As for doing track days with the GT-R it makes sense that the car will need at least brake pads for heavy sustained lapping, if not upgraded Alcon/AP Rotors. The car is a heavy pig after all!

No doubt that it is impressive. But as soon as you mentioned meth, along with the other stuff, that is a high level of tune. But whatever, one persons high tuned is anothers not so tuned.

Funny thing, I remember watching Pass Time on Speedvision and they ask the guy what he did to his car and he says, "all stock with some bolt ons", when they ask what bolt ons, he answers "Cams and headwork" ...lol Based on that guys definition every modded car is stock

Old 12-16-2008, 12:34 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by eclou
Audi was implied, but not verified. The Sport Auto supertest is coming out in just over a month. Supposedly is going to be very ugly for the goDZirRa fAnZ

Oh boy, I cannot wait! We shoulda' known though, all this talk about Godzilla. Afterall, Godzilla is a make believe beast with made up super powers.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
The Sport Auto test will not be fair, however, unless the driver(s) took driving lessons from Nissan before hand.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Everyone knows von Saurna only goes quickly in German cars ...

Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I think we will be seeing this more often:

trade-in

Old 12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
I called out C&D on their pre-production cars. Stock GT-Rs do NOT trap in the mid 120s. Low, low 120s IF they are lucky....

Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 PM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
This whole thread has turned into a...

Circle Jerk !!!

The thread was started... questioning the GT-R's Nurburgring times.

When Porsche took a "stock" GT-R to the ring and couldn't duplicate the orignial 7:38 lap... much less the FABLED 7:29 lap times,

GT-R fanbois started complaining that it took a special GT-R driver to achieve those lap times.

Than a reputable Auto magazine also questioned Nissan's posted ring times, flat out saying the times were NOT reproducible.

Soooo... we start getting all the BS about 1/4 mile times with trap speeds that simply won't compute based on Nissan's advertised power/weight ratio.

Then the GT-R fanbois start posting modified GT-R times.

This thread is NOT about how fast you can go with mods !!!

It's simply about Nissan advertising performance results...

that simply can't be duplicated with a stock GT-R !!!

Add in the reliability issues with the GT-R... and the car's become a nightmare to Nissan's advertising personel. Nissan's "fix" is to delete the electronic gizmo's that were used to market the car's performance in the first place.

Neither Porsche, GM, Audi, or any other group had a hand in Nissan's press releases... and this thread doesn't question anyone's credibility except Nissan with the GT-R.

Last edited by trumperZ06; 12-16-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by trumperZ06
This whole thread has turned into a...

Circle Jerk !!!

The thread was started... questioning the GT-R's Nurburgring times.

When Porsche took a "stock" GT-R to the ring and couldn't duplicate the orignial 7:38 lap... much less the FABLED 7:29 lap times,

GT-R fanbois started complaining that it took a special GT-R driver to achieve those lap times.

Than a reputable Auto magazine also questioned Nissan's posted ring times, flat out saying the times were NOT reproducible.

Soooo... we start getting all the BS about 1/4 mile times with trap speeds that simply won't compute based on Nissan's advertised power/weight ratio.

Then the GT-R fanbois start posting modified GT-R times.

This thread is NOT about how fast you can go with mods !!!

Add in the reliability issues with the GT-R... and the car's become a nightmare to Nissan's advertising personel. Nissan's "fix" is to delete the electronic gizmo's that were used to market the car's performance in the first place.

Neither Porsche, GM, Audi, or any other group had a hand in Nissan's press releases... and this thread doesn't question anyone's credibility except Nissan with the GT-R.
Well said!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by trumperZ06

They can, and have been.

The only thing which has really got anyone's back up is the fact that the GT-R makes a 997 Turbo look distinctly second-best as a driver's car (ask anyone who has driven both - I appreciate that's very few on this board), and it seems to really hurt those with a chip on their shoulder that their "prestige" Porsche might not be top of the tree any more.

Personally I'm happy in either - but I'm not hung up on what I think people think of me because of the badge on the front of my car.

Many clearly are.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Trommel
They can, and have been.

The only thing which has really got anyone's back up is the fact that the GT-R makes a 997 Turbo look distinctly second-best as a driver's car (ask anyone who has driven both - I appreciate that's very few on this board), and it seems to really hurt those with a chip on their shoulder that their "prestige" Porsche might not be top of the tree any more.

Personally I'm happy in either - but I'm not hung up on what I think people think of me because of the badge on the front of my car.

Many clearly are.
You're so funny!!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
You're happy in either, but own neither. Nuff said.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:33 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
Do tell. Cant wait to hear the excuses this time. Once more Nissan have made a fool of themselves at the ring and the supertest will be a nail in the coffin of lies. I bet they'll wait until the release of the R36 and then try and have another guy go out and try to validate the time of the GT-R.

Which begs the question, how many press cars are Ring (er) spec GT-R's. The whole GT-R empire will take a huge tumble as between finding a test that's not garbage in a regular production GT-R will be few to none.

Walls closing in on the fanboys.

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I called out C&D on their pre-production cars. Stock GT-Rs do NOT trap in the mid 120s. Low, low 120s IF they are lucky....

C&D flat out lied on that trap speed, which is why you cant take much of anything they say about the GT-R serious. Then wouldnt admit it after the fact. On top of that they put a new driver experienced in the GT-R in the lightning lap as well as pretested in on different sets of tires to make the GT-R look better. People thought I was insane for implying that between rabid fanboys and media play, Nissan was manipulating the mags. Doesnt sound so far fetched now does it?

Old 12-16-2008, 06:42 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
The only thing which has really got anyone's back up is the fact that the GT-R makes a 997 Turbo look distinctly second-best as a driver's car (ask anyone who has driven both - I appreciate that's very few on this board).
The GT-R is faster, but I wouldn't say it's a better "driver's car." That's a fuzzy term, but it usually refers to "involvement" and "feedback." I would have to give the nod to the Turbo for those categories.

I was just at the track this weekend in the Turbo (on street tires because rain was expected). On more than one occasion, I got some stern feedback "you lifted too much you idiot, catch my tail in time if you can!"

I had a great time, but was about a second off my pace in the GT-R.

-Chris

Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
That's so cheap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.