997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Everyone knows von Saurna only goes quickly in German cars ...
to quote your comrade and fellow troll...O RLY?

Seems like a legit, fair comparison, out lapping the 997TT. It seems you're apprehensive about the Sport Auto supertest.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
C&D flat out lied on that trap speed, which is why you cant take much of anything they say about the GT-R serious. Then wouldnt admit it after the fact. On top of that they put a new driver experienced in the GT-R in the lightning lap as well as pretested in on different sets of tires to make the GT-R look better. People thought I was insane for implying that between rabid fanboys and media play, Nissan was manipulating the mags. Doesnt sound so far fetched now does it?
I don't believe they lied. But they DID have a more powerful than stock pre-production model. They also did a dyno test of a stock model as well. Later models were not as fast as 124mph.

I did find the all-season vs. performance tire data but can you refer me to the part about a different driver?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...p_2008_feature

Also, given that a Z51 was only 2 seconds slower than a Z-06 (showing variance of conditions, etc), and that the Nissan's max speed was well below others in that range ET range, it does indicate it handles quite well. That max speed also indicates it was NOT a more powerful than stock version.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
It is lying to say the ring car was stock when it was not. That is a lie.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:53 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu

Notice that the Corvette ZO6 only reached 167mph or 270km/h, the Nurburgring GTR was supposed to have reached 180mph. All tests so far have indicated that the ZO6 is faster than the GTR on long top speed runs.

Nurburgring Nissan GTR = ringer.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I don't believe they lied. But they DID have a more powerful than stock pre-production model. They also did a dyno test of a stock model as well. Later models were not as fast as 124mph.

I did find the all-season vs. performance tire data but can you refer me to the part about a different driver?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...p_2008_feature

Also, given that a Z51 was only 2 seconds slower than a Z-06 (showing variance of conditions, etc), and that the Nissan's max speed was well below others in that range ET range, it does indicate it handles quite well. That max speed also indicates it was NOT a more powerful than stock version.
They did lie on the trap speed. Just like the other big mags, C&D adjust 1/4 mile times for altitude because they tested at over 3000 ft so power is sapped by the thin air. It's clear as day on the results sheet that they gave the car a correction for an NA car instead of FI car which loses less power at altitude. And we havent seen any stock GT-R even in the mags close to a 124. The correct trap speed was 119 which is in line with the other mags.

As for the lightning lap look up tony swan who drove the GT-R in the one lap of america. He'd never driven for the lightning lap before but they flew him in for this test and he's better than the other mag drivers anyways and actually has racing history. And they said in the article that they tested on both sets of tires, something they've never done for any other car.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
You're happy in either, but own neither. Nuff said.
GT-R arriving next year (when they're launched in the UK); still watching 997TT prices plummet with interest.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Sport Auto testing the GTR in the Superfest using HVS is like Best Motoring testing the turbo using Tsuchiya. Very fair and unbias
Why would a German magazine and driver want a Japanese car to slaughter their pride and joy Porsche turbo?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Quacker
Sport Auto testing the GTR in the Superfest using HVS is like Best Motoring testing the turbo using Tsuchiya. Very fair and unbias
Why would a German magazine and driver want a Japanese car to slaughter their pride and joy Porsche turbo?

Can you believe this Nissan fanboi? I mean seriously

Old 12-17-2008, 07:06 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
The GT-R is faster, but I wouldn't say it's a better "driver's car." That's a fuzzy term, but it usually refers to "involvement" and "feedback." I would have to give the nod to the Turbo for those categories.

I was just at the track this weekend in the Turbo (on street tires because rain was expected). On more than one occasion, I got some stern feedback "you lifted too much you idiot, catch my tail in time if you can!"

I had a great time, but was about a second off my pace in the GT-R.

-Chris

Chris I hate to say it but neither the GTR nor 997tt are going make one a better driver. They are too powerful to learn on. Many of my compadres are going to spec Miata, spec Boxster, etc to force themselves to become faster drivers. It is too easy to cover up suboptimal lines and driving with massive HP. I try to take most of my laps in my 944

Old 12-17-2008, 08:35 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Quacker
Yet you are the first one to run in to tell everyone that Japanese testers beat the Turbo!!

Why don't you take a break from the drugs and let us know when you come back to reality.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by eclou
Chris I hate to say it but neither the GTR nor 997tt are going make one a better driver. They are too powerful to learn on. Many of my compadres are going to spec Miata, spec Boxster, etc to force themselves to become faster drivers. It is too easy to cover up suboptimal lines and driving with massive HP. I try to take most of my laps in my 944
I know, I know.... take your vitamins, work out more, buy a momentum car. Blah blah blah.

I hear you. I used to have a "base" (2.7) Cayman. Great track car. Especially on the used market, they (and also the "S" model) are dirt cheap. If I only had a bigger garage......

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by chrisn
I know, I know.... take your vitamins, work out more, buy a momentum car. Blah blah blah.

I hear you. I used to have a "base" (2.7) Cayman. Great track car. Especially on the used market, they (and also the "S" model) are dirt cheap. If I only had a bigger garage......
With all the toys you have, I bet it would be a cinch to add on!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
They did lie on the trap speed. Just like the other big mags, C&D adjust 1/4 mile times for altitude because they tested at over 3000 ft so power is sapped by the thin air. It's clear as day on the results sheet that they gave the car a correction for an NA car instead of FI car which loses less power at altitude. And we havent seen any stock GT-R even in the mags close to a 124. The correct trap speed was 119 which is in line with the other mags.

As for the lightning lap look up tony swan who drove the GT-R in the one lap of america. He'd never driven for the lightning lap before but they flew him in for this test and he's better than the other mag drivers anyways and actually has racing history. And they said in the article that they tested on both sets of tires, something they've never done for any other car.
I checked the data sheet - 4200ft! Whether they corrected it or not, it hit 130mph in 12.1 seconds. The production cars (GT-Rs #4 and #5) were 13.7 and 14.0. An enormous difference. I would say C&D didn't lie, but Nissan sure did.

As far as the Lightning Lap, the max speed shows it made stock power levels, but it was well driven. I suspect given some time, the Z-06, Ford GT and Viper (non-ACR) would have posted better times. I think it points to the driver aides the car has.

I'd say we agree, we're just saying it differently.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Galactus
I agree that the GT-R is a 7:38 car when purchased from a Nissan dealer with the Dunlop tires. The car that went 7:29 must have been a Spec V proto type with more than 530hp. I am surprised that the Z06 managed to go the entire length of the track without blowing it's motor though! Perhaps on lap 2 it would have lost it's engine!
Why would you say that the motor would blow up when Zo6 goes around the entire lap?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
So again I am surprised that the Z06 managed to get around a 13 mile track without blowing it's motor.
Ohhhh look at this fan boy trying to deflect all the heat, we all know how bullet proof the LS motors are. The GTR's are already starting to blow up, starting with Haltech. The fact is Nissan lied with their outragious 7:29 lap time..................I say shame on them!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.