997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I checked the data sheet - 4200ft! Whether they corrected it or not, it hit 130mph in 12.1 seconds. The production cars (GT-Rs #4 and #5) were 13.7 and 14.0. An enormous difference. I would say C&D didn't lie, but Nissan sure did.

As far as the Lightning Lap, the max speed shows it made stock power levels, but it was well driven. I suspect given some time, the Z-06, Ford GT and Viper (non-ACR) would have posted better times. I think it points to the driver aides the car has.

I'd say we agree, we're just saying it differently.

C&D made an error on the adjustment sheet without a doubt, whether it's a lie or not is determined by if they knew it or not. The point though is that the car in question didnt even go that fast, so it wasnt a higher hp car. They just screwed up the numbers that were printed. But I agree, Nissan has lied, but none of the other press cars seem abnormaly fast.

I dont think there was anything wrong with the lightning lap car, just their intensity on making sure it was faster than the key competition, and providing a driver with a seasons worth of competitive driving from the one lap, who's also better than the other journalists while testing different sets of tires did it for me.

That is C&D's fault, not Nissans since the car was in fact standard. Driver ability being equal among the cars is C&D's responsibility.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Ohhhh look at this fan boy trying to deflect all the heat, we all know how bullet proof the LS motors are. The GTR's are already starting to blow up, starting with Haltech. The fact is Nissan lied with their outragious 7:29 lap time..................I say shame on them!!
Nissan did not lie about the 7:29, that is a fact and is proven. But they did lie and is still lying about using a stock 485hp car that did 7:29. That's just impossible.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Quacker
Sport Auto testing the GTR in the Superfest using HVS is like Best Motoring testing the turbo using Tsuchiya. Very fair and unbias
Why would a German magazine and driver want a Japanese car to slaughter their pride and joy Porsche turbo?

Making excuses well in advanced I see. Horst has had prior seat time in the GT-R too, a luxury he doesnt get in all the other cars. In fact not only did he get the practice laps, but he had plenty of testing for Nissan during their ring developement.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 PM
CHEETAH is infamous around these parts
wow that is great

Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Ohhhh look at this fan boy trying to deflect all the heat, we all know how bullet proof the LS motors are. The GTR's are already starting to blow up, starting with Haltech. The fact is Nissan lied with their outragious 7:29 lap time..................I say shame on them!!
You realise that it's only ONE GTR that has blown it's engine so far? And it was a modded one in Australia. Any stock GTR's with a blown engine? Again, making up crap as you go along....

Anyway, since the GTR has been released for some time in the US now, any track comparisons (apart from Chrisn) from real owners on stock GTR vs stock 997 turbo?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Guess what?....Chevrolet is denying engine warranty to ANY Z06, ZR1 etc that is being used at a track!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-dis...nted-by-gm.html

"The ZR1 will perform well in a track environment; however, it was not designed, built or sold as a "track car." If an owner elects to use the car in such a manner, it is outside the intent of the warranty as supplied by General Motors and any damage as a result may not be covered by the GM warranty. Explaining this to a customer before the car is sold may prevent misunderstandings later."
So what's the point of being the fastest production car at the Nurb (ZR1) if you can't use it on the track?

At least Nissan allows you to track the GTR with full warranty, so long as no LC is used. Go Nissan!

To all the Chevy boys dishing Nissan - 'what goes around comes around'

Last edited by Quacker; 12-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
At least Nissan allows you to track the GTR with full warranty, so long as no LC is used. Go Nissan!
Wrong.

"Accident, theft, fire, driving through water (including engine water ingestion) or misuse, which includes, but is not limited to, operation in violation of any applicable law and racing of any sort whatsoever (Proper use is outlined in your owner’s manual). Alteration, tampering or improper repair, including but not limited to adding/replacing chips, reprogramming or attempting to reprogram, alter or disconnect any computer or control unit. Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow (see GT-R owner's manual)."

Doesn't really make feel really confident, does it, Quack.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned
^ I'm afraid you are wrong. "Tracking" is different to "racing" my friend. Nissan allows you to "track" the GTR but not "race", whereas GM doesn't allow you to do either. And THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE...

Funny that GM marketed the Z06 and ZR1 as a track car. Heck, the poor dude on the corvette forum only took his Z06 to 'performance driving school' and GM still denied him warranty!

Last edited by Quacker; 12-17-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
^ "Tracking" is different to "racing" my friend. Nissan allows you to "track" the GTR but not "race", whereas GM doesn't allow you to do either. And THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE...

Funny that GM marketed the Z06 and ZR1 as a track car. Heck, the poor dude on the corvette forum only took his Z06 to 'performance driving school' and GM still denied him warranty!
First...we're not friends. Not in the least. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I'd go out and buy a GT-R before I'd call you a friend.

Second. Tracking and racing is left to the interpretation of the regional service manager. If they want to f*ck you, they will...no matter how much you want to argue that "tracking" is not racing. The fact that you don't realize this simply means you've never had to deal with the situation.

Third. Before you type any other clueless comments, read the warranty.

Here...I'll even give you a copy:

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...09_GTR_WIB.pdf

Old 12-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned
^ Sorry to call you 'friend', did i touch a nerve?...I don't think you understand the difference between 'tracking' and 'racing'. Do you need me to explain that to you? Perhaps another member on here will do the honour, i don't have time to waste. Maybe you should save everyone's time and read Nissan's warranty statement again...... or even a few times.
Put it this way, why does the JDM GTR's disable their 180km/h speed limiter once the GPS identifies that the GTR is on a race track? Why would Nissan implement feature if they don't want you to 'track' the GTR at all?

If i were you, i would save myself the embarrassment and just accept that GM's warranty rule regarding track use is a joke.

Last edited by Quacker; 12-17-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't think you understand the difference between 'tracking' and 'racing'. Do you need me to explain that to you? Perhaps another member on here will do the honour, i don't have time to waste. Maybe you should save everyone's time and read Nissan's warranty statement again...... or even a few times.
Put it this way, why does the JDM GTR's disable their 180km/h speed limiter once the GPS identifies that the GTR is on a race track? Why would Nissan implement feature if they don't want you to 'track' the GTR at all?

If i were you, i would save myself the embarrassment and just accept that GM's warranty rule regarding track use is a joke. The more you argue, the more of a fool you'll look.
Hey HC...did you catch that? Z07...heh.

Do you resort to insults every time you fail to make an argument? Are you incapable of making a logical progression of statements to a coherent conclusion?

If you knew anything about consumer litigation, or had any experience at all, you'd put your C&D magazine down and close your Internet Explorer link to Road and Track.

Lets go back to your statement:

"At least Nissan allows you to track the GTR with full warranty, so long as no LC is used. Go Nissan!"

If any dealership wants to void your warranty because of damage caused during a DE event, they will win..."racing of any sort whatsoever" can be interpreted by any regional manager to include DE events. If you are lucky and have a good relationship with your service department, feel fortunate. Otherwise, good luck with your Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act claims.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-17-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Furthermore, read the owners manual and count the number of times the word "track" appears in the document. Excluding the Nurburgring preamble, there are no references regarding proper use of this vehicle on the track.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-17-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Guess what?....Chevrolet is denying engine warranty to ANY Z06, ZR1 etc that is being used at a track!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-dis...nted-by-gm.html

"The ZR1 will perform well in a track environment; however, it was not designed, built or sold as a "track car." If an owner elects to use the car in such a manner, it is outside the intent of the warranty as supplied by General Motors and any damage as a result may not be covered by the GM warranty. Explaining this to a customer before the car is sold may prevent misunderstandings later."
So what's the point of being the fastest production car at the Nurb (ZR1) if you can't use it on the track?

To all the Chevy boys dishing Nissan - 'what goes around comes around'

Most manufacturers wont warranty a car when they fall apart on a track racing or otherwise. The main problem with Nissan is that they will deny your warranty EVEN IF YOU DID NOT RACE ON A TRACK. Gm will provide warranty if the Corvette broke down on a nomral public road.

Im not sure if Nissan will warranty your car if it broke down on a track. I certainly know that if you dont get the service and pay for the exuberant fees after a track outing nissan will also deny warranty.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 PM
^ Sorry to call you 'friend', did i touch a nerve?
No, but like a bad hemorrhoid, you are a serious annoyance.

There are no limiters on US cars. I could not care less about JDM cars or Japanese warranties. As usual, irrelevant.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-17-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 PM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
Hi guys,
Just checking in on this crazy thread,anyone willing to give me some cliff notes on anything significant that has developed in this argument lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.