997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:34 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Quacker
^ Sorry to call you 'friend', did i touch a nerve?...I don't think you understand the difference between 'tracking' and 'racing'. Do you need me to explain that to you? Perhaps another member on here will do the honour, i don't have time to waste. Maybe you should save everyone's time and read Nissan's warranty statement again...... or even a few times.
Put it this way, why does the JDM GTR's disable their 180km/h speed limiter once the GPS identifies that the GTR is on a race track? Why would Nissan implement feature if they don't want you to 'track' the GTR at all?

If i were you, i would save myself the embarrassment and just accept that GM's warranty rule regarding track use is a joke.
A track car is something like the FXX which you can only drive on a track. All other cars are road cars that is quite capable (but not designed) for track use.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
from the same corvette forum.........................

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I know this isnt always the case. There is a guy on another forum who has a black 06 Z and his blew up on the track. He wasnt even at a training event, he was running hot laps on a n open track day. The dealer picked it up and replaced his engine free of charge.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 12-17-2008, 09:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm wondering how many names Z07 is posting under in here, anyone wanna take a stab at it?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Accident, theft, fire, driving through water (including engine water ingestion) or misuse, which includes, but is not limited to, operation in violation of any applicable law and racing of any sort whatsoever (Proper use is outlined in your owner’s manual).
So does this mean that driving the car over the speed limit and having something brake.............Nissan wont cover it? If that is the case then this GTR might only be good for 0-60 type racing.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by E36-RAT
Hi guys,
Just checking in on this crazy thread,anyone willing to give me some cliff notes on anything significant that has developed in this argument lol.
I think you would miss so much if we tried to summarize it for you. Only reading it first hand will do it justice.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
This thread is addicting. You show great restraint by being able to leave it for a time and then come back!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Banned
Synchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these parts
I tried to skim this entire thread in about an hour but just saw a bunch of arguing instead of any real debate. I'm actually impressed that the Porsche guys are getting so worked up over the GT-R's competition.

Was the fact that the GT-R is ridiculously cheaper ever brought up?

As Jeremy Clarkson said, Nissan just built a new yardstick.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
I certainly know that if you dont get the service and pay for the exuberant fees after a track outing nissan will also deny warranty.
Buy the Oxford English Dictionary. Look up the noun "fact". Read and try to absorb.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Tracking a 3100lb C6Z isn't questionable, neither is it's reliability, and has been done for years. It will make you a better driver.

What IS questionable is choosing a 3900lb car with a complex and somewhat fragile transmission with every driver aid imaginable for track days. It will make you a worse driver.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:05 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Synchzilla
I tried to skim this entire thread in about an hour but just saw a bunch of arguing instead of any real debate. I'm actually impressed that the Porsche guys are getting so worked up over the GT-R's competition.

Wow...I don't think I have ever seen more negative rep points. Congrats.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Synchzilla

The price has been mentioned often, and the conclusion has been "you get what you pay for". It is not the GT-R that gets any of us worked up, this entire thread has been about the deceitful, underhanded way that Nissan has presented this car in order to convince car enthusiasts that it is something that it obviously is not. You need to go back and read this thread because you have obviously missed many facts that have been presented.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Tracking a 3100lb C6Z isn't questionable, neither is it's reliability, and has been done for years. It will make you a better driver.

What IS questionable is choosing a 3900lb car with a complex and somewhat fragile transmission with every driver aid imaginable for track days. It will make you a worse driver.

A Z06's reliability isnt questionable on the track? I cant agree with that one. If it wasnt, I'd have one.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 PM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Having put 50,000 plus miles on an 01 Z06

~ 53000 miles on an 04 Z06

and I now have ~ 25000 miles on an 07 Z06...

averaging ~ 28 track days/year...

I think I can address the so called reliability issues.

Keep the Z06's " STOCK " & well maintained...

no engine/powertrain mods and you'll find it has

OUTSTANDING RELIABILITY !!!

You do need to address the brakes, alignment & corner balance, then you are good to go.

Start modding the engine/changing out the rear end for a lower ratio, speed shifting, raise the rev limiter, lean out the AFR for a higher dyno reading, and you are damanging/abusing the powertrain.

The more mod's you do... the sooner you can expect problems.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
A Z06's reliability isnt questionable on the track? I cant agree with that one. If it wasnt, I'd have one.
Two of those earlier links were cars on the street. I definitely wouldn't say the GT-R is the better choice. That weight for repeated track days that will wear out the tires and brakes 2x vs. the Z-06 and then the tranny issues. I would also hope wheel bearings and brushings are up to the repeated task as well.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned
Synchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these parts
This might or might not have been posted, either way it's very interesting. Check out the last video on the page.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/12/01...e-nurburgring/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.