997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
now 9 minutes is a very good car. What stage is this?

Five Stages Of Grief

1. Denial and Isolation.
    At first, we tend to deny the loss has taken place, and may withdraw from our usual social contacts. This stage may last a few moments, or longer.
  2. Anger.
    The grieving person may then be furious at the person who inflicted the hurt (even if she's dead), or at the world, for letting it happen. He may be angry with himself for letting the event take place, even if, realistically, nothing could have stopped it.
  3. Bargaining.
    Now the grieving person may make bargains with God, asking, "If I do this, will you take away the loss?"
  4. Depression.
    The person feels numb, although anger and sadness may remain underneath.
  5. Acceptance.
    This is when the anger, sadness and mourning have tapered off. The person simply accepts the reality of the loss.

Also at the recent Road Atlanta testing the fastest laps were turned by the GTR with stock power and aftermarket coilovers - reportedly at least 5s faster than the power modded GTR with stock suspension (1:32 vs 1:37 estimated). That doesn't make the Hockenheim test look very impressive, especially since far more 997tt owners have switched to aggressive alignment specs and Bilstein coilovers

Last edited by eclou; 12-19-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Excuses excuses, Nissan made sure Top Gear got a car, and that's farther from Japan than Germany.
Don't believe everything Clarkson says - that was the UK press car (which Top Gear magazine crashed on the Isle of Man) and was already in the UK.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Don't believe everything Clarkson says - that was the UK press car (which Top Gear magazine crashed on the Isle of Man) and was already in the UK.

So I should beleive you then?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Banned
Believe who and what you want, but what I'm saying is fact and not conjecture, rumour or fabrication.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Believe who and what you want, but what I'm saying is fact and not conjecture, rumour or fabrication.
Right...this coming from someone who once said:

"Do you believe everything written by someone with an agenda on the internet?"

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-post1742.html

pwned...

Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Banned
I have no agenda.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Yeah right.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Banned
It's a car, who cares who makes it (apart from you, obviously)?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Clearly missing the point.

Let me steal a phrase from you..."Do you need me to explain it to you? Perhaps another member on here will do the honour, i don't have time to waste."

For someone who attempts to be scholarly and logical, you have missed the point. Pwned again....

Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 AM
I care if liars and cheats make it, as will most enthusiasts. No problems at all with other Japanese brands (other than I think the STI is ugly) so your snob card isnt going to fly.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:26 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I really haven't read any of the mags that proclaimed the GTR "COTY", but I was wondering if, when they present the 0-60 mph and quarter mile times they do so using launch control. If they do, then the honor is based on a sham. If they start talking about the ring times, then we are really talking about a dubious honor.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
I wish I were man enough to track a 6GT3-- clearly a better track car and learning platform versus the GT-R or Turbo (or much of anything else). But is that the point?

GT-R / Turbo are GT-style touring cars that are a blend of daily drivability, highway grunt and great handling. The GT-R skeptics/haters too often try to redefine the debate in racing terms and compare the GT-R against street legal track cars (GT3). I think this is misguided.

In addition, everyday I am more and more convinced that the LC / Tranny "issue" is WAY overblown. Feels like a very small number of isolated incidents. Although I don't intend to do it often, I am personally comfortable doing an LC now and then when car is properly warmed up, etc.

Guys: these are TOYS for us, not TOOLS. The only thing that should matter is FUN. If you are rational, you should also care about FUN per Dollar.

If money is no object for you (if true, please PayPal me any excess you might have), and it is more fun for you to drive a more expensive car with a certain badge and "racing pedigree" then go for it. No hard feelings.

Personally, the GT-R is about as fun for me to drive as the Turbo, and about as fast-- and costs half as much. That should count for something.

If the GT-R and Turbo were the same price, no one would buy the GT-R. How can we ignore the amazing value?

-Chris

Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by chrisn
GT-R / Turbo are GT-style touring cars that are a blend of daily drivability, highway grunt and great handling. The GT-R skeptics/haters too often try to redefine the debate in racing terms and compare the GT-R against street legal track cars (GT3). I think this is misguided.
Chris...Clearly the GT-R was targeted against the 997TT. But the debate of the GT-R versus the GT3, GT2, and other track weapons was brought up by magazines and media in a attempt to redefine the argument. Yes, misguided, but to bring up a childish remark that this thread has taken..."they started it."

Furthermore, the argument was pushed forth when Nissan reports unbelievable track times in an attempt to stir up more fanfare and praise for the GT-R...the GT-R not only is a better car than the TT, but it can "out track" the GT3 and GT2 in its element.

To suggest the GT-R "skeptics/haters" are redefining the argument is inaccurate. And now that the true evidence is out there, we find fanboys backtracking to defend the GT-R. As more time goes on, and real life experiences are reported, we'll find the truth - the GT-R can't be compared to the GT3 or GT2...at best, the 997TT.

And on another note...it snowed 13 inches today, and I took my TT out for a spin. That's a true daily driver.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-19-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 AM
I think people would still buy the GT-R if it and the Turbo were the same price. Heck and the rate of increased MSRP on the GT-R that could be the case soon than we think.

The GT3 is a road car that's excellent on the track. Not a race car. Just like the aims of the Corvette and GT-R.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
IMO... this whole problem lays at Nissan's feet !!!

They "hyped" a four passanger upscale coupe into being something it clearly is NOT !!!

The fanbois JUMP all over the GT-R's hype... only to see knowledgable people questioning the GT-R's published capabilities !!!

Nissan first takes a RINGER to Nurburgring... and after months of effort, reports a ~ 7:38 lap time. Within weeks, Nissan's PR is back touting the fabled ~7:29 lap for the GT-R.

Nissan's PR then sold the magazine testers a "Bill of Goods", encouraging them to test 1/4 mile times using " LC " !!! Nissan doesn't bother to tell the writers that using LC & turning off DVC would likely void the warranty. Nissan only wanted the "Times" !!!

As I see it, Nissan used the press.... to advertise claims that are Clearly False !!!

Last edited by trumperZ06; 12-19-2008 at 11:32 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.