997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by trumperZ06
IMO... this whole problem lays at Nissan's feet !!!

They "hyped" a four passanger upscale coupe into being something it clearly is NOT !!!

The fanbois JUMP all over the GT-R's hype... only to see knowledgable people questioning the GT-R's published capabilities !!!

Nissan first takes a RINGER to Nurburgring... and after months of effort, reports a ~ 7:38 lap time. Within weeks, Nissan's PR is back touting the fabled ~7:29 lap for the GT-R.

Nissan's PR then sold the magazine testers a "Bill of Goods", encouraging them to test 1/4 mile times using " LC " !!! Nissan doesn't bother to tell the writers that using LC & turning off DVC would likely void the warranty. Nissan only wanted the "Times" !!!

As I see it, Nissan used the press.... to advertise claims that are Clearly False !!!
Yes, and the press gladly worshipped at the false idol's feet...or, tires I should say. It is as if they were glad to do it. I guess that kind of controversy sells magazines.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:51 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
36 more pages till 200.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
This thread has no chance of dying. It will still be going when the PDK TT comes out and annihilates the GT-R.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by heavychevy
This thread has no chance of dying. It will still be going when the PDK TT comes out and annihilates the GT-R.
ANd then it will still continiue after GTR gets a facelift and even more power and more upgrades

Old 12-19-2008, 05:54 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Vladcanada
ANd then it will still continiue after GTR gets a facelift and even more power and more upgrades
Yea, like the V-Spec we been waitin' on? Ho, Ho, Ho.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:00 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Yea, like the V-Spec we been waitin' on? Ho, Ho, Ho.
Don't make fun of the V-Spec. It's supposed to have bigger turbos:

Old 12-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Don't make fun of the V-Spec. It's supposed to have bigger turbos:

Holy Schmoley!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:27 PM
I was told that car was the Hennessey twin turbo Cayman.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
That is a picture of the "stock" GT-R with bumper cover removed right before Suzuki completed his magic 7:29 lap.

Seriously, what the heck is that thing? Those turbines belong in the Hoover Dam!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:36 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
That is a picture of the "stock" GT-R with bumper cover removed right before Suzuki completed his magic 7:29 lap.

Seriously, what the heck is that thing? Those turbines belong in the Hoover Dam!

That would be a 540 cubic inch powered Camaro with a pair of 88mm turbochargers, estimated to produce 2,800 Horsepower on only 25 pounds of boost pressure. I call it a V-Spec killer.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
The Z06 has tranny problems of it's own, serious ones.

Talking about maintenance over a period of time on the track:

Brakes: The Z06 brakes are pretty crappy, the GT-R's are crazy expensive, so it's a pick your poison there. You'll likely be better off buying a brake kit for either.
Advantage Neither.

Tires: The Z06 will be much easier on tires, though the stock ones are rubbish. The GT-R will crumple sidewalls on many tires even r-comps, and you'll have to buy more wheels to get R-Comps in the first place.
Advatange Z06

In the end, it's give and take. And I'd take a 996 GT3 for less. Less ability, less potential, but more assurance, and fast enough. I want a Z06 too, but I dont want the headache.
The same tranny is in Viper and isn't known for problems from what I've read.

It's my understanding the Z-06 brakes are fine with a pad upgrade. Either way, the GT-R will wear them out faster.

Originally Posted by Vladcanada
So it will hit the 4,000lb mark then?

The only other digs I have against the GT-R is the ubquitous and drab silver/grey color so many seem to be along with the 350Zs. Also, selling it in Nissan dealerships, and I have experience calling on all dealerships, is a mistake. It should be badged as an Infiniti IMO.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 12-19-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The same tranny is in Viper and isn't known for problems from what I've read.

It's my understanding the Z-06 brakes are fine with a pad upgrade. Either way, the GT-R will wear them out faster.

You are correct, the T56 and T60 trans in the vipers have been bulletproof, and they are awesome, but lots of C6 and C6Z owners have been having problems with them. Notching, grinding and plain failing, in fact they were on back order at one point, one guy has gotten his car lemoned because of it too. Something isnt vibing right with the car and the tranny. There are plenty of posts about it on corvette forum, I'm not making this up.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu

That would be a 540 cubic inch powered Camaro with a pair of 88mm turbochargers, estimated to produce 2,800 Horsepower on only 25 pounds of boost pressure. I call it a V-Spec killer.

I thought it was a photoshop because the turbochargers were so big.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Guy with 10.80 in 1/4 now is in 10.55 lol

Video to follow. Come on, thats insane from a 4000 piggy.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:10 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
The cheer squad are here with their head JohnTurbo. They have basically gone on every forum saying the same thing over and over :-).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.