997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
"4 or 5 Nurburgring tests"? Who? Where?

Facts please.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:25 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Look for it!!!!!

Im not here to spoon feed people.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned
No, you're seemingly here to spout nonsense.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:32 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Again look for it, you dont even have to look at other forums and other sites. All has been posted in 6speedonline. Dont be lazy!!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:44 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Man, I lost track of which tangent we're on now

Synchzilla: I have an E60 M5 and will compare it to the GT-R for you: there is no comparison. I do, however, agree that price should be part of this debate (or cluster-f, or whatever it is).

For instance, I think you could make a decent case why, for similar money, someone might prefer a 987.2 Cayman S w/ PDK over the GT-R. Cayman is probably a better track car and no one really uses those 2+2 seats in the GT-R or 911 anyway. Certainly Cayman is better looking.

Of course, on the highway, twisties and the track, the GT-R will still smoke the Cayman-- but some people don't care. There's always someone faster/better out there.

Another thing about this thread that is tiresome: shouldn't we care more about THE TRUE FACTS AS THEY EXIST IN THE REAL WORLD instead of who said what, when and why and whether what they said was or was not embellished.

Did Nissan stretch (or break) the truth in the marketing of the GT-R? I don't know, there is certainly some circumstantial evidence of that. You know what? I don't care. The car is what it is and should be judged accordingly.

Are there really people out there who would have bought a GT-R based on the TRUE STATS but decided not to because of prior Nissan exaggerations?

If Porsche had claimed the 997TT did a 7:30 'Ring time, and no one believed them, would people start selling their TTs or not buy one?

If Nissan lied, that's obviously a factor, but the car is what it is.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Banned
chrisn, I have a couple of issues with your posts.

Why should we listen to you, just because you have first-hand objective experience of both a GT-R and a TT?

Surely, for a fair and balanced perspective we should be listening to heavychevy (who has never driven the car, never will drive the car and believes that every word that has ever been written about it by any journalist anywhere is a fabrication) and monaroCounty (who I suspect is still of school age).

Fanboi.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Trommel

Why should we listen to you, just because you have first-hand objective experience of both a GT-R and a TT?

Surely, for a fair and balanced perspective we should be listening to heavychevy (who has never driven the car, never will drive the car and believes that every word that has ever been written about it by any journalist anywhere is a fabrication) and monaroCounty (who I suspect is still of school age).

Fanboi.

hey dont disrespect heavy man, he knows what he's talking about. He READ all about it!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 06:40 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Synchzilla
Price wise it's more like an M5 competitor. It just happens to be able to run with a 997.

I believe that's the whole point of the car's production. Of course it doesn't have the legacy and refinement of a Porsche, but when it comes down to it that's not important.

Point is, you get a pretty solid car for a reasonable price. You Porsche guys need to step off the high horse and realize the significance of this car. Finally, amazing performance for a reasonable price. Of course the first generation of GT-R's are going to have issues, but give them a few model years to work out the kinks.

I'm still holding my breath waiting on Porsche to release a car that can perform like the GT-R in the same price range.

I guess we should be comparing the GT-R to the Cayman .

Had to throw in the pompous smiley face for emphasis.

Oh, and enough babbling about tranny issues. Links > Your "stories."

Edit: I own a Suby not a GT-R, so I'm in no way a fanboy. I just respect the sheer bang for the buck.

Almost to 200...
I guess not, because the mags are already calling the new Cayman with PDK and DFI the best sports car in the world. At least 3 mags so far. So, the GTR doesn't measure up to it. We have also already been over several times how the GTR is not such a bargain after all on this thread.

Last edited by USCCayman; 12-20-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:49 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all

Just because I am dumb enough to blow a bunch of money on cars doesn't make my opinion carry any extra weight. I am just offering my thoughts for consideration. Like I said above, I am just trying to have fun with my cars-- I don't have an axe to grind.

-Chris

Old 12-21-2008, 02:42 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

Fanboi.
Well, arent you the little politician. I think the people who read the threads can decide for themselves who to listen to, but there is overwhelming evidence that Chris' posts arent so nuetral in their objectivity, and that you are a troll.

I'm sorry but Porsche drivers want to hear from guys with skill, and Chris being slower in both the GT-R and modded turbo than a 996 on hoosiers and a 996 TT on 300 treadware tires isnt going to sway the masses. Combine that with his obvious preferance for the GT-R, and admitted intimidation by the TT and he certainly wont have many fans on a forum FULL OF 911 OWNERS......

I think we can tell how many people are listening to you by your reputation.

Meanwhile heavychevy is running as fast in traffic at a DE in a 996 TT as Pro drivers and some of the best amatuer drivers in GT-R's on a rented private track day with give or take an equal level of mods. I guess you'll contend that I'm better than the pro guy in a 600 hp GT-R with coilovers and aero? Tough luck with that one. So you'll have to forgive some of the people here if they decide to listen to a guy that can actually drive a 911if he has a rebuttal.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:10 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by heavychevy
there is overwhelming evidence that Chris' posts arent so nuetral in their objectivity, and that you are a troll.
Overwhelming evidence? I think not. By default, his opinions are infinitely more valid than those of the naysayers.

As for being a troll - I'm loath to quote from Wikipedia, but it seems appropriate here:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
I'm sure that even you can see that couldn't possibly be true of my posts.

I'm sorry but Porsche drivers want to hear from guys with skill, and Chris being slower in both the GT-R and modded turbo than a 996 on hoosiers and a 996 TT on 300 treadware tires isnt going to sway the masses. Combine that with his obvious preferance for the GT-R, and admitted intimidation by the TT and he certainly wont have many fans on a forum FULL OF 911 OWNERS......
You should be apologising - badmouthing a fellow member. Are you suggesting that nobody this side of Senna can either appreciate or get the promised performance out of a 911?

I think we can tell how many people are listening to you by your reputation.
An irrelevance which indicates the standard of your argument. Keep clutching at those straws.

Meanwhile heavychevy is running as fast in traffic at a DE in a 996 TT as Pro drivers and some of the best amatuer drivers in GT-R's on a rented private track day with give or take an equal level of mods. I guess you'll contend that I'm better than the pro guy in a 600 hp GT-R with coilovers and aero? Tough luck with that one. So you'll have to forgive some of the people here if they decide to listen to a guy that can actually drive a 911if he has a rebuttal.
Better than the pro guy? I have no idea. You're just a name on an internet forum to me.

What I do know is that a stock 997 Turbo (which is quicker than a 996 Turbo) will not stay with a stock GT-R around a track.

That is not partisan, biased or prejudiced in any way - it's a fact, and one which your credibility would benefit from by accepting.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:27 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Overwhelming evidence? I think not. By default, his opinions are infinitely more valid than those of the naysayers.

You should be apologising - badmouthing a fellow member. Are you suggesting that nobody this side of Senna can either appreciate or get the promised performance out of a 911?

Better than the pro guy? I have no idea. You're just a name on an internet forum to me.

What I do know is that a stock 997 Turbo (which is quicker than a 996 Turbo) will not stay with a stock GT-R around a track.

That is not partisan, biased or prejudiced in any way - it's a fact, and one which your credibility would benefit from by accepting.

You're a troll by what the majority of posters consider as a troll, you join a site having no intentions to be part of the community for which the forum is dedicated, and have no posts to show any such intent. That is as much trolling as anything else.

Chris already knows how I feel, you cant say you're scared of one car, which happens to be AWD and drove that way and attempt to draw an objective opinion of the cars relative performance vs another, what kind of sense does that make? He proclaimed that it takes a 700 hp TT on R-comps to beat a GT-R, and that is utter BS and he got called on it. But you are to busy sniffing his underwear to understand the blantant contradiction based on his fear of one car already while it was stock, and then adding several hundred hp to it. Maybe in fanboy land that is actual logic, but for the rest of the world, I think not.

My credibility lies in my driving, not my typing, unlike yourself. I can talk and have back up for my words, you live in a magazine world that you honestly think is unbiased and doesnt care which cars sell the magazines. So gullible, just like the rest.

So like I said, when your rhetoric matches your revs, then someone will listen, meanwhile I'll continue to proove otherwise on the track.

In the words of a wiseman (trumper Z06)

"cya at the track"

well not you, but maybe some people who can actually drive.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 AM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
[quote=Trommel;2182941] As for being a troll - I'm loath to quote from Wikipedia, but it seems appropriate here:

You've got to be kidding! How many of your posts in this thread have anything to do with the ring times? You're one of the most abbrasive Trolls on 6 speed. You don't even get it after you've been banned. Why don't you go back and read all your posts here, most of them are attacking members credibility.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 AM
Banned
My credibility lies in my driving, not my typing, unlike yourself. I can talk and have back up for my words, you live in a magazine world that you honestly think is unbiased and doesnt care which cars sell the magazines. So gullible, just like the rest.
How little you know.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
Great time, but the car needs an hour break between runs to keep things from falling apart. Direct quote from the owner:
You conveniently left out the REAL reason why the owner had to wait for an hour.

"It's not by choice. The track is usually so crowded that it takes that long before you get your turn again. And sometimes someone will breakdown on the track (Ugh. Like Wednesday night) and you end up waiting 2 hours+ to run again. (No fun.) But to pass the time we usually just walk around and talk to the other drivers and check out their cars. It's a cool community of car enthusiasts."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.