997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:22 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
PWNED

Pwned again!!!!

You have a 75k GT-R that you probably paid 85-90k for, you broke a tranny which will cost 18k for just a stock one, and 18k + upgrades + shipping from Japan + no drivetrain warranty on the next one.

And they want to act like they can buy one with installation at autozone. How many guys with stock GT-R's will be wanting to risk voiding their drivetrain warranty for a part that could still break. LC still = fail.

Coming from a guy who admittedly knows nothing about tracking.

Please, tell us more on your expertise, what exactly was Chris so poor at? Heel/toe, apex speeds, track out, or couldnt push foot to floor on the straights to acheive same straight speeds?

There is one trick question in there, lets see if you can figure it out.

pwned by way of unreasonable logic

precisely, mag times, even with pro guys driving half heartedly arent saying much.

True.

Originally Posted by chrisn
Hey F1. Merry Xmas. You're fast and a damn good driver, that's not in question (did your times improve with the new Thill surface, BTW?).

I don't think you can condemn Mag tests in general-- it comes down to the driver. Randy Pobst is a serious dude who knows (and races Pro) 911's. I think you need to give some respect to his results. (He was at THill a couple of weeks ago driving random cars. Took a spin in a guy's 996 GT3 and turned 2:02s with passenger-- just messing around). That's within a couple of seconds of the car's potential-- on a demo lap. How hard was he pushing in his Laguna test? Don't know, but why would that skew the results?

We all know that suspension / alignment, ECU flash and exhaust can really impact results. Gotta keep in mind also that these guys are driving bone stock cars.

Also, I am QUITE confident you would NEVER get around Laguna < 1:40. Why? B/c your straight pipes would never pass sound!!
Hey Chris. Merry Christmas to you too!
The surface is very good. I sold my trackmate a few weeks prior to the track so i didnt gather any data which is a huge bummer. A member from this board was there and he was timing me. I'll PM him and tell him to post here. I will say though i did not extract as much on the car as i would like in terms of breaking deep. I had about 10-15% left of rear brakes when I arrived at the track, so i had to be easy on the breaks through out the whole event and make them last- so i played it conservative in terms of breaking. I did one lap in breaking extremely late and I lost about 5 car lenghts behind gt3 with a really good driver (mooty) hes on this board as well. Also that was with a passanger-spare-full tank of fuel. As for other mechanical failures. My steering rack has been leaking fluid, and i did not check if it had any fluid so that made my steering feel like a minvan-not as direct as it should be. So i had to adjust my driving style. I took it to the dealer after and they said it had none so it explains why the weird steering wheel feel. The r comps are amazing. It is to bad that i could not extract the maximum out of them since i'm still on stock suspension. As for my alingment its at -.30 camber in the front and -1.5 in the rear. I need to get myself a good suspension and camber plates. And you are right I would never pass at Laguna Seca

I personaly have no experience with the GTR so i cannot rag on it on its driving abilities. I can say the things I like about it and dislike about it. Just like I can for my car. I think to make a comparable test both cars should be set equaly in terms of alingment since that realy is a huge factor and a equal set of tire brand, along with a driver that has some seat time with both in order to extract the most out of them.

When do you plan to go the track ? Theirs an event for Feb 13th. I might go to that one. You should consider it as well.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:00 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Wow! You guys are still talking about this? I got tired of talking and just went out and bought one.

The GTR is easily faster than my Stage 3 997TT which I had up until 6 months ago. It is at least as quick as my 997GT2 on streets or freeway with much less lag (or no lag). It will probably not outrun a GT2 on a track after a few laps because the GT2 is much lighter and has ceramic brakes, but for one lap, they would be neck and neck. On the street, its like the AWD of a 997TT with the performance of a GT2. I like mine and use it as a daily driver. In my opinion, it's way better and much more fun than a 997tt for that purpose. For pure track toy, the GT2 is way better than either. For driving exhilaration, a Ferrari is better. I am not a brand worshipper no matter what the brand is.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Banned
Synchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these partsSynchzilla is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
...hes on this board as well. Also that was with a passanger-spare-full tank of fuel. As for other mechanical failures...
For such a dang good driver, I'd hope you could spell "passenger" correctly.

Yes, it's off topic but after 4 posts I had to say something.

Merry Christmas all!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:27 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by terrence
Wow! You guys are still talking about this? I got tired of talking and just went out and bought one.

The GTR is easily faster than my Stage 3 997TT which I had up until 6 months ago. It is at least as quick as my 997GT2 on streets or freeway with much less lag (or no lag). It will probably not outrun a GT2 on a track after a few laps because the GT2 is much lighter and has ceramic brakes, but for one lap, they would be neck and neck. On the street, its like the AWD of a 997TT with the performance of a GT2. I like mine and use it as a daily driver. In my opinion, it's way better and much more fun than a 997tt for that purpose. For pure track toy, the GT2 is way better than either. For driving exhilaration, a Ferrari is better. I am not a brand worshipper no matter what the brand is.
So you're saying the GT-R is faster on the streets and freeway than both your stage 3 TT and your GT2???

wait.....................

Old 12-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
So you're saying the GT-R is faster on the streets and freeway than both your stage 3 TT and your GT2???

<---- thats the only thing you can do lol

wait.... Oh yeah and troll about somthing you didnt even drove.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:54 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

Old 12-25-2008, 11:35 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough

Wait.. I must be lying. I actually work for Nissan so I am making all this up. I don't own any of these cars. I just became a member 7 years ago, made all my previous "bogus" posts all those years about my cars, anticipating the arrival of the GTR so I can make these ridiculous claims about it being faster than some Porsches. You do own all of these cars, so you must know what you are talking about.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

interesting observation. what track did you compare them all at. I know several people out in LA, having grown up there....

Old 12-26-2008, 05:06 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Wait.. I must be lying. I actually work for Nissan so I am making all this up. I don't own any of these cars. I just became a member 7 years ago, made all my previous "bogus" posts all those years about my cars, anticipating the arrival of the GTR so I can make these ridiculous claims about it being faster than some Porsches. You do own all of these cars, so you must know what you are talking about.
Terrence not to take anything away from you because you obviously enjoy cars. But if a stock GTR cannot beat me on sprints in a my stock Turbo(6 speed) and with 30-120mph runs it couldn't beat me(ran 5 times) then how on earth could you say that the GTR is faster than a StageIII Turbo which would lay waste to me on the roads?

Remeber there is a difference between fast and quick. I know you have had both but unless you got a Japanese Demo car I would be hard pressed to say it was faster.

I would not speak unless I have driven and raced one and I have.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:17 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Synchzilla
For such a dang good driver, I'd hope you could spell "passenger" correctly.

Yes, it's off topic but after 4 posts I had to say something.

Merry Christmas all!

You didn't have to say anything but you did. Were there people standing behind at gun point telling you to correct F1's spelling? And how do you associate a dang good driver to grammer/spelling? Do you know for fact if english is his first language? Did you win the Spelling Bee contest in your past life and come back to haunt automotive boards with your logic and spelling prowess?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm not going to get into all of this but if someone posted something similar about a stock 997 TT beating a GT570 GT-R I wouldn't believe that either. Your butt dyno needs some recalibration or you some shifting lessons.

I'm sure we can find someone in your area to confirm your observations, that is if you're willing to.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:33 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute

hogwash!
One thing I can promise you, my Turbo is much faster then your Sentra. That is what you will be driving most of the time anyway

Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Your butt dyno needs some recalibration or you some shifting lessons.
How many times do you need to hear it from people who have actual first-hand experience of both cars?

It is not just about power-to-weight ratios, and it isn't patronising people about their supposed lack of driving skill.

Drive the car, form an opinion.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:00 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
i'm in OC and would be totally down to meet up with terrence for some friendly runs... and i can guarantee you that his stage 3 997 turbo would have me by at least 3 or 4 cars..... which makes me very scared of his stock GTR.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:03 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
By your own admission, didn't you say a few weeks ago that you don't drag race, and find racing "pointless." But you can tell your stock GTR is faster than your previously modded TT. Respectfully, I see a problem with this argument.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-26-2008 at 12:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.