997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
C& D Sucks. I can achive 1:40's with lame falkens 452s with a passanger on a 996 tt. Also R&T can achieve 2:11's at thunderhill in a 996TT, i can achieve much faster then that with a passanger with just a flash with ****ty falkens 452's. Have you ever been to a race track and had some seat time ?

Magazine results mean nothing to me. Specialy whn I know i can achieve much, much better times then most of them.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track73.html

A member on this board who has a GTR can verify as he has my data log info

p.s. I can achived 1:40's before i had my alingment redone (it was completly out of wack!) the car is much much better. AND I added straight pipes which pulls much harder. But its still not faster then a GTR in a straight line.

I'm VERY confident I can get under 1:40's if I were to take my car to Laguna Seca

p.s. yes I do have my racing license - and i think i know how to drive a Porsche and extract everything from it.
C&D is usually spot-on for comparison purposes and better than the rest of the magazines.

1:40s is a big spread at LS and a stock 997TT wouldn't crack 1:39s on stock tires.

Those LS times are spot-on considering stock tires for the cars and the 3 drivers quoted.

Originally Posted by chrisn
Hey F1. Merry Xmas. You're fast and a damn good driver, that's not in question (did your times improve with the new Thill surface, BTW?).

I don't think you can condemn Mag tests in general-- it comes down to the driver. Randy Pobst is a serious dude who knows (and races Pro) 911's. I think you need to give some respect to his results.
Also, I am QUITE confident you would NEVER get around Laguna < 1:40. Why? B/c your straight pipes would never pass sound!!
Agreed - Pobst and Angelelli are among the best sports car drivers competing today and they were paid to push those cars. The lap times speak for themselves.

I'm sure Kibort, Rosen and Cacho would agree 100%.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
how about 2 supercharges on top of the two turbos lol

650hp , that is in GTR Horse power.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:04 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by terrence
Wait.. I must be lying. I actually work for Nissan so I am making all this up.

Is that so? You actually work for Nissan?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:06 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by terrence
The GTR is easily faster than my Stage 3 997TT which I had up until 6 months ago. It is at least as quick as my 997GT2 on streets or freeway with much less lag (or no lag).

Not according to all other tests!!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:43 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Stage 3 997TT. Are you sure it wasn't Stage -3? A 650+ hp Turbo is not as fast as your stock 480+ hp GTR that weighs 400lbs more? Come on terrence...

I must have a monster!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:55 PM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Terrence's GT-R may "feel quick" to him because it shimies, shakes and shivers too.

4000 lb. cars will do that when you drop the hammer.

That impression doesn't make a car FAST !!!

The C5 Z06 is... " NOISY MEAN & NASTY ",

and a very fun car to drive.

The C6 Z06 is much more refine... a complete lack of Drama !!!

It's also one Hell of a lot FASTER too !!!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:59 PM
keevo54 is infamous around these parts
lol The tranny argument is ridiculous. If the car was manual everyone would be claiming driver abuse as opposed to tranny failure. Just because it is automatic doesnt give the driver the right to beat the living hell outta the tranny and expect it to last. U launch on a road that isnt smooth the driver prolly won't even recognize the wheel hop and the tranny wears so much quicker.....that is not nissans fault.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:04 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
How many times do you need to hear it from people who have actual first-hand experience of both cars?

It is not just about power-to-weight ratios, and it isn't patronising people about their supposed lack of driving skill.

Drive the car, form an opinion.

Trommoll (didnt say the tro** word ) , did you notice the guy mentions absolutely nothing about a track? Not only that a stage 3 turbo would wipe the floor with a GT-R, and as we've seen, so does the GT2.

Neither myself nor have the people that have jumped all over that post need to drive the car to know it isnt faster than a GT2 on the freeway. You believe anything you hear concerning the GT-R dont you? You dont have any type of filter on what's obvious nonsense at all do you?

But of course someone else let you drive their GT-R so you're an expert.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 PM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Stock GT-R's fall Flat on their Face, above ~ 100 mph.

This has been documented by ALL the magazine tests.

Besides having a "Trick" transmission ,which will break if you use it... it's gearing has been chosen to maximize... Zero to 100 mph. acceleration.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Terrance:

Not sure if you mean faster by the clock/GPS or "quicker feeling." If the latter, I can see where you're coming from. Guys: something about the GT-R that people don't talk enough about is the virtual absence of turbo lag. The thing feels as responsive as a torquey, big displacement N/A car.

The TT, with fancy VTG turbos, etc, etc, still has noticeable lag. Big HP kits (especially with stock Turbos) exacerbate the turbo surge feeling. I haven't driven a stock TT for a while, but I suspect that everyone would come away from the GT-R "feeling" it was faster.

Now a modded TT will for sure run away from the GT-R. No question there. However, you still have that lag factor. For quick squirts from 70-90 in 3rd, the GT-R can hold it's own. In the Stage IV Turbo, you are just entering the "Holy Sh*t" zone in 3rd, when it's time to let off the throttle. Of course, if you take 4th at the redline and keep WOT, then bye bye GT-R. (But not without some work).

-Chris

Last edited by chrisn; 12-26-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:39 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Now that is reasonable.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by chrisn
Terrance:

Not sure if you mean faster by the clock/GPS or "quicker feeling." If the latter, I can see where you're coming from. Guys: something about the GT-R that people don't talk enough about is the virtually absence of turbo lag. The thing feels as responsive as a torquey, big displacement N/A car.

The TT, with fancy VTG turbos, etc, etc, still has noticeable lag. Big HP kits (especially with stock Turbos) exacerbate the turbo surge feeling. I haven't driven a stock TT for a while, but I suspect that everyone would come away from the GT-R "feeling" it was faster.

Now a modded TT will for sure run away from the GT-R. No question there. However, you still have that lag factor. For quick squirts from 70-90 in 3rd, the GT-R can hold it's own. In the Stage IV Turbo, you are just entering the "Holy Sh*t" zone in 3rd, when it's time to let off the throttle. Of course, if you take 4th at the redline and keep WOT, then bye bye GT-R. (But not without some work).

-Chris
sorry but lag is pretty irrelevant from a roll. all u do is shift down a gear

Old 12-26-2008, 06:53 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keevo54
Lag is relevant in every situation where you start with minimal load...either from a dig, or a roll at 30...if you aren't loading the engine, your boost is minimal.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Lag is relevant in every situation where you start with minimal load...either from a dig, or a roll at 30...if you aren't loading the engine, your boost is minimal.
obviously if u arent on the gas u are gonna be in vac instead of boost. If your at 5000 rpms and get on the gas it will spool pretty damn quick

Old 12-26-2008, 08:20 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by keevo54
Umm. Not. Have you driven a Turbo?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.