997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold

Old 12-27-2008, 10:00 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Aaaawww, c'mon man, it's the holidays!

Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Clarkson didn't crash it - this was Top Gear magazine, and an R8 went into the back of it. They fixed it quickly because I sat in it at the Goodwood FoS very soon afterwards.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
"as far as I'm aware"? Not as sure sounding as you were before. A far cry from your declarative statement:

I thought you onlly stated "facts." "as far as I'm aware" is not a fact...pwned

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-post2502.html
Nissan GB have said that UK cars' traction/stability system will be the same as that of the current Japanese specification cars. That they have said this is a fact.

I have no idea if the same remains true for every other market, however I haven't heard or read that the "feature" will be removed for other markets, so as far as i'm aware it won't be.

Not too difficult to grasp, is it?

pwned, owned, lolz etc.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Me_qwkr didn't put up, so the mods shut him up. I'm glad it's locked, no need fussing over it until he's ready to provide some proof.
You think maybe---just maybe, several of the spontaneous "my tranny blew too" threads that popped up over night were either entirely fabricated (poster doesn't even have a GT-R) or significantly embellished (as in "my car is bone stock and I never did any LCs")?

I am still struggling to understand how both statements can be true:

1. GT-R tranny problem is widespread, with a failure rate of [fill in 10-20%].

and

2. Apart from the bleeding edge dragracers with dozens of LCs with high TQ cars, no one has (credibly) reported a failed tranny in about 10 weeks. Meaning there are 2X the cars on the road now, but no additional failures (apart from JohnTurbo-- and we all know his situation)

Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Why would Nissan make such a move with several trannies and why would they care since it wasn't their fault?. It didn't cost them any monies out of their pockets since they denied the warranty. Given the fact that they built a feature into a car and removed it for 3 denied warranty claims would sound a little absurd don't cha think? I got the 3 failed from the Nissan Fanboys. I know of more but you and the fanboys won't believe it. Most of them aren't failed but more of problems that Nissan is still fixing. Many are minor and a few are not. Also they don't like you bringing in the car in for rattle complaints and obviously the squeaks are not allowed because you signed a disclaimer. Talk about customer service!
Just a guess, but do you think maybe Nissan is facing some kind of civil liability for having the LC feature in the car, advertising it, and then putting a disclaimer in the Owners manual not to use it?
This is one of the reasons I cancelled my GT-R order. I didn't want to take a chance with the warranty.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:06 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
Just a guess, but do you think maybe Nissan is facing some kind of civil liability for having the LC feature in the car, advertising it, and then putting a disclaimer in the Owners manual not to use it?
This is one of the reasons I cancelled my GT-R order. I didn't want to take a chance with the warranty.
Saw pics of your new 997.2 Carrera S. Beautiful.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
You think maybe---just maybe, several of the spontaneous "my tranny blew too" threads that popped up over night were either entirely fabricated (poster doesn't even have a GT-R) or significantly embellished (as in "my car is bone stock and I never did any LCs")?

and

2. Apart from the bleeding edge dragracers with dozens of LCs with high TQ cars, no one has (credibly) reported a failed tranny in about 10 weeks. Meaning there are 2X the cars on the road now, but no additional failures (apart from JohnTurbo-- and we all know his situation)
As with all internet problems it certainly got blown out of proportion. Contrary to what Trommel is saying there is no indication that the removal of LC is US only and I do not believe they would discontinue the feature if the problem was so little.

Now that could be because the people that are suing have a very good case, and if they win that means Nissan will have to warranty every GT-R tranny launched or not and they'd rather not deal with the headache. But I'm inclined to believe that there are quite a few busted GT-R's out there.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
If you can't enjoy the GT-R w/o LC, then you made the right choice to cancel your order.

I don't think Nissan faces much liability-- LC is not in owner's manual. The 'Ring time debate is he said/ she said. They have a video and swear the car was stock. Not sure how you disprove that. Also, what are the damages? How are you hurt?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Trommel
I have no idea if the same remains true for every other market, however I haven't heard or read that the "feature" will be removed for other markets, so as far as i'm aware it won't be.

Not too difficult to grasp, is it?
All I hear is more white noise...and backtracking...

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 12-28-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
As with all internet problems it certainly got blown out of proportion. Contrary to what Trommel is saying there is no indication that the removal of LC is US only and I do not believe they would discontinue the feature if the problem was so little.

Now that could be because the people that are suing have a very good case, and if they win that means Nissan will have to warranty every GT-R tranny launched or not and they'd rather not deal with the headache. But I'm inclined to believe that there are quite a few busted GT-R's out there.
I think just a couple of cases (given the resultant negative publicity) was enough to get them to change. On the E60 M5, BMW basically deleted LC from US cars from the beginning. I guess Nissan is a bit behind in understanding the U.S. sense of entitlement vis-a-vis abuse and warranty coverage.

Selfishly, I hope they do cover the tranny even with LC use. Who knows if I'll need it...

More objectively, I still think it is totally reasonable for manufs to carve out LCs from warranty.

What (if anything) does 997.2 PDK owners manual say about warranty and LC?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts

and

There have been several tranny failures reported and with accompanying photographs of the damage. You wont hear about all the failures on forums because not all GTR owners would eiher bother posting them up or even visit the forums. The problem is clearly widespread with Nissan deleting LC from their upcoming cars.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts
If you can't enjoy the GT-R w/o LC, then you made the right choice to cancel your order.

I don't think Nissan faces much liability-- LC is not in owner's manual. The 'Ring time debate is he said/ she said. They have a video and swear the car was stock. Not sure how you disprove that. Also, what are the damages? How are you hurt?
I just think that the car was misrepresented to the US buyers. If Nissan is going to talk about how it can beat the 997 Turbo as one of it's major marketing points, why have a disclaimer about turning off VDC?
LC wasn't the only reason I cancelled my order. I saw some of the future maitenance costs, all the local Nissan dealers sucked, and the lease would have been more than I'm paying on my 997 S.
I still think the GT-R is a great car, just not the baggage that comes with it.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:33 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
the GTR reminds me of an overstuffed, crystalmeth-tweaking stripper selling the illusion as being a perfect mate.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Tony glad you are enjoying the PDK 997.2

Nissan claims stock GTR for a 7:29 ring time and we don't know if that is true/not true? Oh boy oh boy..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.