997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Tony glad you are enjoying the PDK 997.2

Nissan claims stock GTR for a 7:29 ring time and we don't know if that is true/not true? Oh boy oh boy..
No way in HELL did a "Stock" GT-R turn a ~7:29 !!!

Beginning to look like the ~ 7:38 lap wasn't in a "Stock" GT-R either !!!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:23 AM
'ringmeister is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
the GTR reminds me of an overstuffed, crystalmeth-tweaking stripper selling the illusion as being a perfect mate.
live & learn my friend....how much did she take you for?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:36 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
If you can't enjoy the GT-R w/o LC, then you made the right choice to cancel your order.

I don't think Nissan faces much liability-- LC is not in owner's manual. The 'Ring time debate is he said/ she said. They have a video and swear the car was stock. Not sure how you disprove that. Also, what are the damages? How are you hurt?
I love how the apologists make everyone wont accept Nissan's trickery seem obsessed with LC. A lot of people like to be able to turn drivers aids of and actually control the car themselves sometimes, and dont want a japanese tech to come tell them their warranty is void without telling or showing them why. It's not all about LC. Though trusting the manufacturer of your high performance car is pretty big, the the LC was a big lie from the get go.

That's another reason I think Nissan knew there was a problem with the tranny, if you cant turn VDC off AT ALL without voiding the warranty, it's pretty telling. I bet even with the removal of LC people still wont be able to turn off the VDC. That will tell us all we need to know.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
there is no indication that the removal of LC is US only
I can only pass on what Nissan GB have said - that is, the UK cars will have the same traction/stability function as the current-production Japanese cars.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by bbywu
All I hear is more white noise...and backtracking...
Do you understand how arguments work, or are you as crushingly stupid as your posts suggest?

I have not backtracked in any way - my points stand and I have not tried to change my position at all.

Try reading and comprehending before going near the keyboard in future, and one more tip - posting little pictures doesn't improve the quality of your "argument".

Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
There have been several tranny failures reported and with accompanying photographs of the damage. You wont hear about all the failures on forums because not all GTR owners would eiher bother posting them up or even visit the forums. The problem is clearly widespread with Nissan deleting LC from their upcoming cars.
Please post links with dates and details. If not online, how do you know?

I have seen the photos of the care in Russia re-posted numerous times. Would be great to see photos and details of cars with tranny failures in November or December.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
I just think that the car was misrepresented to the US buyers. If Nissan is going to talk about how it can beat the 997 Turbo as one of it's major marketing points, why have a disclaimer about turning off VDC?
LC wasn't the only reason I cancelled my order. I saw some of the future maitenance costs, all the local Nissan dealers sucked, and the lease would have been more than I'm paying on my 997 S.
I still think the GT-R is a great car, just not the baggage that comes with it.
#1: GT-R is faster than Turbo around any track (stock for stock)
#2: Maintenance costs aren't horrible (but are pretty bad)
#3: You are totally right about Nissan dealers (although my guys are pretty good)
#4: 997.2 C2S is an awesome car. Did you get PDK? That is a car I would like to own. Congrats

Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Nissan claims stock GTR for a 7:29 ring time and we don't know if that is true/not true? Oh boy oh boy..
I think it has a chance of being true (maybe 30%). If true, it is a complete anomaly. I believe mid 7:30s is probably more representative.

Who cares anyway.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
A lot of people like to be able to turn drivers aids of and actually control the car themselves sometimes, and dont want a japanese tech to come tell them their warranty is void without telling or showing them why. It's not all about LC. Though trusting the manufacturer of your high performance car is pretty big, the the LC was a big lie from the get go.

I bet even with the removal of LC people still wont be able to turn off the VDC. That will tell us all we need to know.
Me, apologist? Hey man, someone has to waive the flag.

I am disappointed about the LC/VDC situation, but it is hard for me to be indignant. All this was CLEARLY explained to me by the dealer. It is CLEARLY laid out in the special disclaimer thing they have you sign and CLEALY explained in the owners manual.

Look, I think in the future more and more cars will be engineered ASSUMING that an electronic nanny will protect the parts/systems. Many current cars already limit TQ in 1st gear, for example. All modern cars have electronic rev limiters-- even though we all know the cars can handle a bit more.

If you step back and remove your Nissan-hating glasses, you will conclude that at a high level it is a good thing for manufacturers to design cars for reliability IF AND ONLY IF the computer is placing some limits on driver inputs. I for one, don't want a drivetrain that is bulletproof for drop-clutch launches if it is 100 pounds heavier and $5K more to build (or whatever, you get my point).

Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I think this all boils down to one thing. The GTR is not the world-beating bargain supercar that Nissan wanted us to believe it was and tried so hard to convince us it was by misleading the car mags. It will be just another also ran.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Do you understand how arguments work, or are you as crushingly stupid as your posts suggest?
Are you making a personal attack?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Quantify lc!

EVERYONE is hung up on the LC option/warranty issue.

HERE IS THE QUESTION:

What is the difference in the 60fts WITH LC and WITHOUT LC??

If, for example, it's .1 second (1.7s vs. 1.8s) then it's only a differenceof .2 for the ET. It's still an 11second car. And it can be driven that way everyday, stoplights or dragstrips.

Originally Posted by Trommel
In Europe the car is sold and maintained by a limited number of specially-selected High Performance Centres - perhaps it would have been diligent for Nissan USA to arrange the same.
That would be an Infiniti dealer. One mistake Nissan made already.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by bbywu
Are you making a personal attack?
No.

This is the internet, it's not for real.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by USCCayman
I think this all boils down to one thing. The GTR is not the world-beating bargain supercar that Nissan wanted us to believe it was and tried so hard to convince us it was by misleading the car mags. It will be just another also ran.
You're so funny.

Can you really believe that?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Trojan Croc: strip away any claim that you think is suspect-- and don't do anything that allow Nissan to deny a warranty claim. Now visualize that car. Compare it in your head to any car in that price range. Now suppose you don't like bow ties.

What have you got? Even after deducting everything controversial, the GT-R is still a "world-beating bargain supercar" (if you define the 997TT as a "supercar").

If you think the GT-R is an "also ran," maybe you could help me out with an example of a couple of cars in that category.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.