997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Galactus
I agree that is a hard statement to back up. Lets see world beating means beating other cars to win the top award right?

Car of the Year Awards:
Motor Trend
Evo
Automobile
AutoCar
Top Gear (SUPER CAR of the Year)
Popular Science
Edmunds
Four Wheeler
Car of the Year Japan 2008-2009 Most Advanced Technology Award

Finalist:
Car And Driver Car of the Year
13th annual International Car of the Year Award (announced in January)

Yes this car does seem like and also ran with all of these accolades.... Magazine testing has shown the GT-R beating the Audi R8, 997 PDK, Gallardo LP560, Z06, 997TT, 997 GT3 and 997 GT2. For $75K that is a world beating, bargain priced super car.
Was the ZR1 even nominated?

Regarding in bold: wrong, wrong and wrong for actual PRODUCTION models...

Last edited by Deuuuce; 12-28-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Notice:

This seems to be a very heated topic. I have recently issued some warnings regarding "insults" to other members. I have not issued infractions or bans. A warning is simply that ............. a warning.

If you see what appears to be an insult, please click the Report Post. Do not rely with another insult. You can base your posts on facts and your opinions, but any insults will not be tolerated.

We look forward to everyone's cooperation.

Thanks,
Chad (cjv)

Old 12-28-2008, 01:05 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chrisn
I think it has a chance of being true (maybe 30%). If true, it is a complete anomaly. I believe mid 7:30s is probably more representative.

Who cares anyway.

The best achievable time for a top driver would be 7:50's, the best possible time for the car would be 7:40s. The Nurburgring is a long track and a fast track, both of these isnt suited to the heavy GTR with slower acceleration past 70mph.

Other manufacturers who spend millions testing and potential buyers care.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:30 PM
supraman95 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Was the ZR1 even nominated?

Regarding in bold: wrong, wrong and wrong for actual PRODUCTION models...

Yeah I just dont believe it beat all of those cars.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
The best achievable time for a top driver would be 7:50's, the best possible time for the car would be 7:40s. The Nurburgring is a long track and a fast track, both of these isnt suited to the heavy GTR with slower acceleration past 70mph.

Other manufacturers who spend millions testing and potential buyers care.
As the moderator just said - post facts.

What you have posted is make-believe.

You have never driven a GT-R. You have never driven at the 'Ring. How could you possibly state what lap times the car is capable of?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Looks like 7:50s for production models. Maybe upper 7:40s. Partially wet track hardly means little. Especially for the AWD GT-R.

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?fID...3&viewThread=y

Old 12-28-2008, 02:56 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
As the moderator just said - post facts.

What you have posted is make-believe.
You are very selective in quoting...what Chad said was..."You can base your posts on facts and your opinions"

And you countered with your opinion...A non GPS tele youtube video does not constitute as "fact."

Funny comment about the ring. Have you driven on the ring? None of us have...this is all opinion. There is only one fact in this argument...you do not own any of the cars being discussed. Thus, most of us are suspect about your reasons for posting here.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-28-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:11 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I agree that is a hard statement to back up. Lets see world beating means beating other cars to win the top award right?

Car of the Year Awards:
Motor Trend
Evo
Automobile
AutoCar
Popular Science
Edmunds
Four Wheeler

Finalist:

Yes this car does seem like and also ran with all of these accolades.... Magazine testing has shown the GT-R beating the Audi R8, 997 PDK, Gallardo LP560, Z06, 997TT, 997 GT3 and 997 GT2. For $75K that is a world beating, bargain priced super car.
Clarkson declared ZR-1 COTY...

http://jalopnik.com/5119353/jeremy-c...st-car-of-2008

Not to mention the fact that half the cars on your list are 2-3 years into production...R8, 997TT, GT3 and a 4 year old production Z06.

Last edited by bbywu; 12-28-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
Funny comment about the ring. Have you driven on the ring? None of us have...this is all opinion.
Not quite true, I have driven there a bit (average 4-10 days per year). I've also specifically driven my GT2 there as well as my M3 CSL, which are both 7:50 or sub cars, though not in my hands.

I have driven the R35 GTR only on Silverstone GP track, although I will take my GTR to the ring when it arrives in June (UK deliveries only commence in March sadly).

I'm not going to claim I'm amazingly qualified to make predictions, but I certainly feel like the GTR will at least match the CSL there, as it has a fearsome cornering ability, as well as better acceleration than the CSL. Relatively speaking it feels like a car that would easily get into the 7:40s. It would also be a damn site easier to drive at a fast pace than the GT2 is there, as some sections give quite frightening weight transfer, which the GTR will deal with much better.

I think we'll get more idea next year, when the deliveries start in Europe for the GTRs and we'll start seeing them there in the hands of talented drivers. Then we'll see how they fare against the Nordschleife car-park full of GT2/3s and CSLs..........

Old 12-28-2008, 05:12 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
The Audi R8 is one of those cars people have already forgotten about. I guess we will just have to see if people still consider the GTR a wondercar a year from now.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
The Audi R8 is one of those cars people have already forgotten about.
No - the novelty of talking about it on a Porsche forum has worn off, that's all.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:55 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by USCCayman
The Audi R8 is one of those cars people have already forgotten about. I guess we will just have to see if people still consider the GTR a wondercar a year from now.
Not sure about that. Still a very popular car that lots of people lust after. AFAIK, they are still hard to get at MSRP and lots of people buy them for their looks (which are awesome, IMHO) and not performance.

I was actually going to buy an R8. I did the "R8 Experience" track day at Infineon. Beautiful car that sounds great as well. But you know what? It felt a bit gutless, and it understeered terribly. In particular, it's not very good performance value for the money.

When the V10 version comes out, I might consider it-- but it will be 2.5X the price of GT-R.

Again, we cant ignore price/performance--- it matter a lot and is one of the things that makes the GT-R truly historic.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:59 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Trommel
No - the novelty of talking about it on a Porsche forum has worn off, that's all.
Not true. It never aroused as much hatred here or elsewhere. Why? It's german, it's the same price (more with markup) than 997TT and Audi did not promote it as the amazing underdog.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 PM

Car of the Year Awards:
Motor Trend
Evo
Automobile
AutoCar
Popular Science
Edmunds
Four Wheeler

Finalist:

I should also add, that unlike those cars, the GT-R will never see the green flag in any sanctioned multi-lap racing event in it's current configuration due to its weight and excessive driver aids.

Additionally, I doubt Nissan will ever host a driving event series with the GT-R due to reliability/maintenance reasons.

Nissan made a superb STREET-ORIENTED, GRAND TOURING car.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I should also add, that unlike those cars, the GT-R will never see the green flag in any sanctioned multi-lap racing event in it's current configuration due to its weight and excessive driver aids.

Additionally, I doubt Nissan will ever host a driving event series with the GT-R due to reliability/maintenance reasons.

Nissan made a superb STREET-ORIENTED, GRAND TOURING car.
What are those excessive driver aids? It doesn't have anything the TT lacks-- it just implements them better.

What car or manuf "hosts a driving event series" using the off-the-showroom version of the primary variant of the car (versus a special "challenge" or "GT3" version?).

Agree that the GT-R is a street touring car not a racer (just like the TT), but what's your point.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.