997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:11 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Without the graphics and glow - I would love to have that car in my garage.
I parked near a pristine one in Seal Beach the other day, I mean right off the showroom floor looking...very nice. RHD and all. All of the other ones I have seen running around here look a bit beat up but not this one.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by eclou
More concerning is one GTR owner who discovered that the tranny temp peaks are recorded by the computer and scanned by the dealership. He has run 1 track weekend and recorded mutiple strikes into zones 2-4 out of a total 5 zones. The BW guys were seeing temps in the mid to upper 200's as well. Lastly, the upgraded gears are not due to market until March at the earliest, at a cost of $10k.
This is not news. They give you a print out when you get car serviced. They use the information to decide whether you need to replace tranny fluid. It apparently chemically breaks down quickly when it overheats (Zone 5). You get a warning light well before that.

I have tracked my car 5 or 6 times and only got warning light once (that was in 100 deg heat at high altitude). Never had a temp recorded in Zone 5.

For folks running big mods, tranny coolers are available. Not sure why this is notable.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heavychevy
12 GT-R's, most modded to some extent, some pretty heavily modded, cool weather and a hot shoe or two.

=

Not one lap at Steve Millens 1:56.9 closest time was .8 slower with a GT-R with suspension, aero (a big wing), non-stock alignment, and exhaust and someone who can really wheel a car.

(This will bring the fanboys a runnin)
I'll take the bait (I always do).

No test other than same day / same track / same driver will ever tell us anything very useful.

The BW event sounded like a track day (with many novices) with folks who did not know the track. They did lead/follow for a while in the video for God's sake.

I don't know how much seat time Millen has at BW, but I assume a lot more than any of the drivers here. And even so, pros can master a track much faster than the rest of us (that's why they are pros).

It proves nothing. If anything, 0.8 secs slower (big wing or not) is well within the margin of error given potential differences in conditions and general randomness.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
I'll take the bait (I always do).

No test other than same day / same track / same driver will ever tell us anything very useful.

The BW event sounded like a track day (with many novices) with folks who did not know the track. They did lead/follow for a while in the video for God's sake.

I don't know how much seat time Millen has at BW, but I assume a lot more than any of the drivers here. And even so, pros can master a track much faster than the rest of us (that's why they are pros).

It proves nothing. If anything, 0.8 secs slower (big wing or not) is well within the margin of error given potential differences in conditions and general randomness.
Potential my behind, they drove a nearly perfect so-cal day in december. Not to mention there were plenty of racers there.

You also seemed to have missed the part where Millen was slower in the other cars than average drivers, but he's set this time that not even substantially modded GT-R's on a open track can reach?

You cannot be that gullible.

Gary Sheehan can drive, and so can that gillis guy. All the excuses in the world wont plug the holes in that net.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Without the graphics and glow - I would love to have that car in my garage.
hahaha me too.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Galactus
Again let's not let those pesky facts get in the way... Andrew Gillis ran a 1:57.7 lap time on the factory Dunlop tires. That car had:

"My car has no power mods beyond the Amuse exhaust. I am still running four high flow cats so the car will still pass California smog. I have the front factory downpipes with primary cats, and the Amuse midpipe with secondary high flow cats. Only other change to the car was the Amuse sleeve/spring kit, AP rotors, and Carbotech brake pads."

No Aero/Wing or ecu mods..

So Steve Millen, on another day, with way more seat time in the GT-R, and not caring if he balled up the car, went 8 tenths of a second quicker. How is that NOT PLAUSIBLE?

Millen had a ringer!!!!

Didnt Nissan hire him as one of their drivers?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Galactus
Again let's not let those pesky facts get in the way... Andrew Gillis ran a 1:57.7 lap time on the factory Dunlop tires. That car had:

"My car has no power mods beyond the Amuse exhaust. I am still running four high flow cats so the car will still pass California smog. I have the front factory downpipes with primary cats, and the Amuse midpipe with secondary high flow cats. Only other change to the car was the Amuse sleeve/spring kit, AP rotors, and Carbotech brake pads."

No Aero/Wing or ecu mods..

So Steve Millen, on another day, with way more seat time in the GT-R, and not caring if he balled up the car, went 8 tenths of a second quicker. How is that NOT PLAUSIBLE?
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....c=26862&st=320

That was Neoseven was it not, he seems to have left out a couple of mods as evident in post 337

I think the upgraded aero on Big Bird, Neos, and My car helps, no doubt in my mind. With the new settings we were using and having the wing lock down after a certain speed I can tell the car is much faster. In some of the video you can see my car pulling away once it got up to speed.

He also left out the brake cooling, which means he could have left out that he took all the bare essentials out of the car which isnt done in magazine tests, at least not for all the cars.

So, he had:

Better Brake Pads
SOME form of aero mods
Suspension work with much greater than stock camber levels
And a partial exhaust which has been found to increase hp by 15-20 hp

THAT IS NOT STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes the facts are in your way..............

Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 AM
This look like no aero mods to you?????? I'll give you a hint, look at the front of the car and the back!!!!!

Amuse R1 Adjusting Suspension Kit
Amuse Dry Carbon Rear Wing
Amuse Front Under Diffuser
Amuse R1 Titan Extra STTI Cat Back Exhaust
Amuse R1 Titan Sports CAT RS STTI
Synapse Engineering BOV's

OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-08-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Oh and lookie there, blow off valves, which I'm assuming are external as opposed to internal ones like stock. That is AT LEAST a powerband mod. If not adding power

Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Galactose/Z07 getting his daily dose of smackdown.

Chrisn,

in regards to the tranny temp recorder - if Nissan spent the money to include such data acquisition, why did they not spend a couple of dimes to spec a factory tranny cooler that could prevent the 280F temps? Jmunjr got high hits even without track time.

Spec V rear seating delete:

Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Galactose LOLOLOLOL

Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Galactose LOLOLOLOL

some of us have "Galactose intolerance"

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by eclou
Chrisn,

in regards to the tranny temp recorder - if Nissan spent the money to include such data acquisition, why did they not spend a couple of dimes to spec a factory tranny cooler that could prevent the 280F temps? Jmunjr got high hits even without track time.

Spec V rear seating delete:
You could say the same about any manuf. There are always some factory items that you shake your head and ask why they didn't beef up. 997TT has many, as we know (and is 2X the price) (suspension setup comes to mind).

Not sure what Jmunjr did off the track to get those temp. I can tell you definitively that you have to really drive the car HARD to get above 210 degs on the street/twisties. Who really drives 5/6K to Redline for 20+ minutes straight when not on a race track? Nonetheless, I do think you prob need supplemental cooling if you really want to race this car. When I (in 100+ deg heat) got a warning (I think at goes off at 250 or 260), I just backed off a tenth and all was fine. No biggie. Lots of other cars were running VERY hot that day and similarly had to back down.

Re: the Spec-V. What a freaking joke. Who would buy that? Terrible value for money. I'm serious.

-Chris

Last edited by chrisn; 01-08-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
There have been many over heating issues with the tranny. It has been reported often at NAGTROC. You know the data is there to support the high temps.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
The lip is different... hint hint...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.