997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:38 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porsherboy
For the price that the GTR is selling here in Australia next year - it's definitely going to take away a huge chunk in Porsche's sale, and Porsche has everything to worry about and here's why;
1) GTR premium- AU$153,000
2) Porsche boxter s/ Cayman - around AU$150,000
3) Porsche 911 pdk - AU$240,000
4) Porsche 911 turbo - AU$340,000

So lets assume that the turbo is a little faster than the GTR. Is it still justifiable to pay over 2 times more for it?Die hard fans and brand loyalist would say yes, but a lot of car enthusiasts would say no. There goes one chunk of Porsche's sale.
Now is the GTR faster then the boxter/Cayman? Even the P fanboys will have to say yes to this. GTR is the same price as Boxter/Cayman but is faster - if you're into speed, you wouldn't think twice which car to get now would you? There goes another of Porsche's chunk of sales.
At the end of the day, Porsche is worried and it is of no coincidence that the accusation from Porsche about Nissan cheating coincides with the release of the 911 pdk in Australia. Porsche is trying to save it's sales by putting doubts in potential buyers mind of the GTR.

Dude, there are only 200 GT-R's going to Australia. And that isnt even enough to satisfy the rabid GT-R fanboys down there. So how are they going to steal Porsche sales with such a paltry number of cars???? And you act like they are the only two cars being sold down there. What about BMW, Holden, Chevy etc.

Do the math and say something useful, your blabbing is annoying. Try to put at least some thought into what you're saying instead of copying and pasting from Nagtroc.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:56 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
For those criticizing Porsche for doing this test. Nissan started this mess by parading around a 997 TT everywhere their GT-R went. Didnt hear much criticizing about that (except from me). I think it's only fair that Porsche get to verify Nissan's findings since they used a Porsche as their "benchmark" and prop to sell their car. That is the most pathetic thing about it. Nissan didnt have enough confidence in the car to sell on it's own, so they had to try and make it seem better than the TT.

Well other than making it a close race in laps, the TT is still better, faster, more dependable, more comfortable, better quality, better service by a mile, better delivery and the list goes on. And that's without PDK which is coming, DI which is coming, weight (coming), more hp (coming) and while it was on lesser tires. Well lap times dont apply to 98% of TT owners, and a similar high percentage of GT-R owners. So for the large majority of people, the GT-R = fail.

Nissan has played their hand, they put as 5 years into this car building from ground up. They put everything they could into the car, and it's still not on the same level as a TT. And when Porsche strikes back, the "outdated technology" is going to put a serious beating on the younr whippersnapper.

Porsche only gave what they were due for the insecure cross-advertising that Nissan did. If you cant take it, dont dish it out NISSAN!!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 AM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
This thread is getting sadder and sadder by the minute and should be closed. A bunch of illogical, close minded Porsche fanboys have made it their meeting ground.
Err..welcome to the forum?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 AM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
These threads are funny.
I really hope people dont buy a car based on it's Nurburgring time as it has little resemblance to the driving most of us do everyday.
A few seconds difference over 13 odd miles of track is not much.
These cars are driven on the limit by people whose driving talents are far and beyond what 99% of people who drive these cars on the road possess.
As i have said before there is something called the x factor,some cars have it some cars dont.
When i have my garage door roll up,what would i rather see in there, the timeless rear hunches of a 911 Turbo,or the butch hard edged lines of the GTR.
I would have to say the 911 would get me more fired up about jumping in it and going for a good thrash over my favourite road,and of course to have a GTR in my garage wouldnt hurt matters,but when it comes down to it for me at least, the pedigree,the timeless looks and the prestige of the 911 Turbo win every time.
Would i care that it costs twice as much and is a few seconds slower round a track ill never drive on?Not a chance!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Getting better by the minute. You cant even replace the clutch without replacing the whole tranny. So if you wear and tear item clutch goes, you also have to pay for a tranny to go with it.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25374

This is the dumbest smart car I've ever heard of. Nissan completely left the consumer out of the process of the car, from the driving experience (drives itself with gadgets), to completely forgetting that a car's value is not just in the MSRP (which is increasing at 10% a pop, with another increase coming next year). Now if the clutch goes, the guys have to buy a new tranny too, which costs ~20% of the old MSRP.

So if the clutch or gearbox goes, the guys have to pay that amount. Seriously, who would want that??? Nissan has engineered themselves in circles and have now gone crosseyed (austin powers). The poor guys who mod the car are in for a real treat when they get to certain power levels. So much for mod potential. Cant say Nissan didnt warn them.

This is imitation Porsche gone wrong!!!!!!!! Nissan are making the POS service for the GT-R descriptive of the car and not the service.

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-07-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 AM
RioGrandeValley has a spectacular aura aboutRioGrandeValley has a spectacular aura aboutRioGrandeValley has a spectacular aura about
Video Oh boy!

Originally Posted by SoCalCFP
it's obvious that the GTR is the worlds fastest, best handling, roomiest, best looking and the only car young women want to jump into. but, my new turbo arrives within 4 weeks.

I guess not many women will be wanting to "jump" in the Turbo with you eh??

CRAZY this post is. Personally I don't care if the next Chevy Cobalt XXR or next Ford Focus SVT-TT is faster, cheaper, has less maintenance and has been driven by Michael Schumacher on the Ring with a time of 10 seconds.
I LOVE Porsche Period. No magazine article or factory driver's input will ever change that. If it's our money we can choose to spend it as we like.
Gees that was hard to type out!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Getting better by the minute. You cant even replace the clutch without replacing the whole tranny. So if you wear and tear item clutch goes, you also have to pay for a tranny to go with it.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25374

This is the dumbest smart car I've ever heard of. Nissan completely left the consumer out of the process of the car, from the driving experience (drives itself with gadgets), to completely forgetting that a car's value is not just in the MSRP (which is increasing at 10% a pop, with another increase coming next year). Now if the clutch goes, the guys have to buy a new tranny too, which costs ~20% of the old MSRP.

So if the clutch or gearbox goes, the guys have to pay that amount. Seriously, who would want that??? Nissan has engineered themselves in circles and have now gone crosseyed (austin powers). The poor guys who mod the car are in for a real treat when they get to certain power levels. So much for mod potential. Cant say Nissan didnt warn them.

This is imitation Porsche gone wrong!!!!!!!! Nissan are making the POS service for the GT-R descriptive of the car and not the service.
My oh my. Reality bites. Even one of the diehard huggers there is comparing used GTR costs to buying a used Ferrari. Pretty soon HC, the Nag's will be worshipping your effigy. Look at the top threads there:

Porsche finds Nissan cheating at Ring
Do not use VDC/Launch control or you're f'ed!
The g'dam clutch cannot be replaced separately!
how come no one makes a tranny upgrade?
things I hate about my GTR
I should have bought a GT3
Do not buy these lemon/abused GTR's
I got *** raped by the Nissan dealer, and didn't like it

Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
For those criticizing Porsche for doing this test. Nissan started this mess by parading around a 997 TT everywhere their GT-R went. Didnt hear much criticizing about that (except from me). I think it's only fair that Porsche get to verify Nissan's findings since they used a Porsche as their "benchmark" and prop to sell their car. That is the most pathetic thing about it. Nissan didnt have enough confidence in the car to sell on it's own, so they had to try and make it seem better than the TT.
+1

More importantly...does anyone recall Nissan quoting what they lapped the Nring with the 997TT? Funny how they left that out. Does their lack of comparison time substantiate Porsche's inability to produce a comparable 7:29 GT-R time? Or does it confirm that the 997TT really does lap a 7:38/7:40 and Nissan cheated their way to 7:29?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Mizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to behold
Nissan Headquarters in Tokyo has forwarded to us the new warranty book, I expect this to be found in every GTR before December 2008. The president Mr. Ghosn himself came up with this idea on 10/24/2007.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
My oh my. Reality bites. Even one of the diehard huggers there is comparing used GTR costs to buying a used Ferrari. Pretty soon HC, the Nag's will be worshipping your effigy. Look at the top threads there:

Porsche finds Nissan cheating at Ring
Do not use VDC/Launch control or you're f'ed!
The g'dam clutch cannot be replaced separately!
how come no one makes a tranny upgrade?
things I hate about my GTR
I should have bought a GT3
Do not buy these lemon/abused GTR's
I got *** raped by the Nissan dealer, and didn't like it
Only 1 of two things will happen from this:

1. A major recall and retrofit costing millions for Nissan, and putting a major blemish on their supercar.

or

2. GT-Rs will be sitting at a dealer's used car lot, waiting for unsuspecting fanboys to puchase with a "CPO" sticker on the windshield.

Oh BTW, I hear rumors that the Silver GT-R that was taken to Great Lakes Dragway even before the dealer prepped it, was thrashed to the point of being in the shop for transmission issues...with less than 50 miles.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I should do the maths hey? Okay here goes;
-Australia's population is just over 20 million whereas the US population is over 300 million - 15 times more than Australia.
- The US gets an allotment of 2500 GTR's, whereas Australia get's 200 GTR's.
- If you multiply 200 by 15, it comes to 3000. so as a ratio of cars to population, we in Australia actually get more GTR's per person than the US does.
- Now factor in the crazy car tax we have in Australia - the turbo is $340 grand, yet the average income is only AU$35 grand p.a and our dollar is around 80 US cents (up to 94 at one stage) and you can see why not many people can afford a 911 turbo. Hell, not many people would even be able to afford a GTR - let alone the Porsche.

200 cars may not seem like a lot to you HC, but as a ratio to the Australian population - IT IS A LOT.
You should do the maths and maybe think more logical before you start to blabber rubbish next time. Everyone knows your obsession with the demise of the GTR has clouded your senses.
I don't know why i even bother relpying to your statement. Wasted 5 minutes of my life.
so let me get this straight, the fact that you have to shell out $10k to redo your clutch and 7k to do your brakes doesn't add into the equation? The car is already going for 90-100k in the US. Add to that operating costs and you are near the price of a Turbo, but without the quality or class.

Isn't there a GTR forum, shouldn't you be discussing how great it is over there?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Mizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to behold

Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 AM
-Australia's population is just over 20 million whereas the US population is over 300 million - 15 times more than Australia.
- The US gets an allotment of 2500 GTR's, whereas Australia get's 200 GTR's.
- If you multiply 200 by 15, it comes to 3000. so as a ratio of cars to population, we in Australia actually get more GTR's per person than the US does.
- Now factor in the crazy car tax we have in Australia - the turbo is $340 grand, yet the average income is only AU$35 grand p.a and our dollar is around 80 US cents (up to 94 at one stage) and you can see why not many people can afford a 911 turbo. Hell, not many people would even be able to afford a GTR - let alone the Porsche.
You're arguing 997TT versus GT-R using population statistics?

I'm going to have to change my sig again...I rest my case.

Last edited by bbywu; 10-07-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like Heavy got your girly panties in a wad. How about you take them off and put on some real man boxers before you step up to the plate.

I would not include the aborigines as part of your population count. Last I heard they do not need all that power - but could use more pickup trucks though..

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Maybe you should re-read my post in reply to HC's comment a few more times. You know what they teach in primary school, if at first you don't understand read and re-read again.
And what is it they teach in kindergarten? 1+1 = GTR FAILS...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.