997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:31 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Dont know bro, it would be all speculation to guess as well. Is the LSD optional on the Tiptronic? If not we can at least eliminate some of the tests. Some of the cars however were delivered by Porsche and were not just press cars, so if they did not put their best foot forward, then Porsche themselves are to blame. Why wouldnt you put the better car out there? With the LSD causing more push it may have detered some of the tail wagging people were talking about by allowing more control with the throttle. But there is no way to know for sure unless the LSD was just released or something of that nature. Cant help there.
Thanks anyway, HC! I love reading your posts. It appears that you are becoming somewhat of a hero to many of us Porsche Fanboys!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:47 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I just dont like lying and dishonesty, and there have been so many signs of it with this car it's just really gotten on my nerves. Starting with the parading the TT around, it was obvious Nissan was on a media assualt. And everything from mags straight lying (C&D trap speed) to rigging tests for the GT-R to win (Autocar, Evo, Car), to made up ring times from the bushes (7:15), to changing driver lineups so the GT-R would win (lightning lap). There is no coincidence that all of the funny business always follows the same car. (10.0 with 500 hp, 7:59 ring time)

If the car was so special it wouldnt need all the lies and deception. Nissan know a lot about computers and gadgets, but they dont seem to have much integrity, and this gearbox issue is just more evidence put on the pile of lies Nissan is selling and promoting through the media.

Heck some guys have had the dealers show them how to launch and launch it for them before buying, so if their gearbox breaks, it's still not covered. Nissan didnt even fill the dealers in that it woud void warranty because they wanted peope to launch the car and show up with problems only to get denied.

The car could have been great without all the lying, but Nissan went too far, and I'm going to call them on it every chance I get. And I wont stand for fanboys taking over our forum, so keeping them occupied with threads like this keeps the new GT-R thread numbers down. Even with the GT-R section they were taking over with b.s., and I'm the arguementative type, so I'l go toe to toe with all of them.

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-08-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
There was a time just a few weeks ago when GT-R threads occupied 5 out of the top 7 threads, and the majority of the page. Now there is one, which is as good as we can hope for.

GT-R as good as Porsche in build quality my behind!!!!! Go get your tranny fixed fanboy!!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Mizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to behold
This is pretty unfair trickery by Nissan.

LC has been mentioned on this car since pre-release. Nissan intentionally leaked it to the press, knowing they would void the warranty for using it. It's been a hyped up feature on the car by almost all of the press. In fact Tony Swan, the driver of the one lap had a Nissan engineer following him around and telling him how to operate the LC after he messed it up the first time. All of the fast mag times have been done with the LC, and nearly all of them period.

There is no explanation for even putting LC on the car if it voids the warranty. You dont need launch control to get out of a mud bog or snow. I have yet to see a GT-R run 11.7 without launch control, which is what Nissan claimed. Have also yet to see a 3.6 0-60 without LC.

Nissan hasnt officially mentioned LC, but there are too many buttons to push for a mag writer to have stumbled on it. This wreaks of false advertising. The Suit will most likely result in Nissan removing the feature altogether, which will make it barely 11.9 @ 119 on the high end, and 12.4 @ 111-112 on the low end. Which it is essentially anyways considering the feature is a void warranty feature to begin with.

I have said over and over again Nissan is not to be trusted, especially when it comes to the mag tests. People will start listening more now since they have tricked their way into non legit numbers in the mags. It would be one thing if Nissan said if you used it accesively and the tranny broke then the warranty is void, but simply turning the VDC off if not for mud/snow voids your drivetrain warrany, so using LC is essentially prohibited by Nissan to begin with. But they put it on there anyways.

Even worse is that the dealers are promoting the feature too. When customers ask about it, they are being told it's ok to do it. Should not the dealer know that it will void your warranty of the car breaks, or are they doing it intentionally? Maybe the dealers want the profit for the tranny rebuilds to make up for all that equipement they had to buy.

LOL, one guy called it a self detruct button..... HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAA

Mizuno, I'm sure you can make something funny with that.
I'm ashamed to tell you YES! the LC is indeed the Game Over button, we were told to act stupid regarding this situation and not know a thing, anyone who calls just hang up or tell them the delivery boy is on his way

The good news is (199% guaranteed to make you laugh hard whenever you look into an owners eyes, GTR that is):
http://www.rennteam.com/showthreaded...04&page=0&vc=1

The bad news is:
GTR owners need to STFU for the next 1 ~ 2 years, they can't pull away from a standard Carrera Naturally Aspirated 345hp BOOOWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA OMG I can't stop laughing, a twin f***ing turbo out of this world 4wd system can't pull away from a basic Nine Eleven.

My advice to the fanboys and GTR owners, commit suicide or never show up on another 911 forum.

I believe that 7.38 has alot to do with flushing the tranny oil before it causes major traffic in the middle of nurburgring

fafafafafafafafartboys be happy your Goldie Locks T-Rex has finally made into the high 7's.

How badass could this nissan phoney motor rated at 480hp company be ? 5 to 7years testing and testing and testing and now you barely came out of the 8's and made into the high 7's and called it a vette killa and as fast as turbo ?

I'd put this moving trash bag up on ebay and sell for 1/2 price and be generous enough and hand it over to charity to clean up my sins and the bad mouthing I've done on porsche forums + all the hype that has made me think of this car which was built by god himself.

It failed DAT-SUUN(soon) Sheeeeit

The hype is over boys, pack up and wait for another 10 to 20years till Nissan comes out with another 7.4x GTR, by then a basic 911 would still be faster, just keep on dreaming if you think nissan will ever give you the perfect car for under $100k GT5 is a great game, but it ain't gonna change sh*t.

I really do feel for every fanboy that has forced himself into this thread to talk trash as much as possible, in the end you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Mizuno; 10-08-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:00 PM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
I just dont like lying and dishonesty, and there have been so many signs of it with this car it's just really gotten on my nerves. Starting with the parading the TT around, it was obvious Nissan was on a media assualt. And everything from mags straight lying (C&D trap speed) to rigging tests for the GT-R to win (Autocar, Evo, Car), to made up ring times from the bushes (7:15), to changing driver lineups so the GT-R would win (lightning lap). There is no coincidence that all of the funny business always follows the same car. (10.0 with 500 hp, 7:59 ring time)

If the car was so special it wouldnt need all the lies and deception. Nissan know a lot about computers and gadgets, but they dont seem to have much integrity, and this gearbox issue is just more evidence put on the pile of lies Nissan is selling and promoting through the media.

Heck some guys have had the dealers show them how to launch and launch it for them before buying, so if their gearbox breaks, it's still not covered. Nissan didnt even fill the dealers in that it woud void warranty because they wanted peope to launch the car and show up with problems only to get denied.

The car could have been great without all the lying, but Nissan went too far, and I'm going to call them on it every chance I get. And I wont stand for fanboys taking over our forum, so keeping them occupied with threads like this keeps the new GT-R thread numbers down. Even with the GT-R section they were taking over with b.s., and I'm the arguementative type, so I'l go toe to toe with all of them.
good post big H.

I was there when the first 2 arrived at our dealership (I work for VW but we also have Nissan and Mazda franchises) and the Nissan dealer rep was there. You could obviously tell this man was not a car enthusiast from the way he was explaining the trans and the launch control.

I told him "we've had that technology in our GTIs since 2006"

The guy looked dumbfounded. He thought Nissan invented the double clutch transmission and launch control

Old 10-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by .:Raul

The guy looked dumbfounded. He thought Nissan invented the double clutch transmission and launch control

That's like the guy from an independant dealer that told me the E39 M5 only came in automatic. When I showed him my M5 that I drove to the dealership he tried to change the subject.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:09 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but here it is, Nissans's response:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ID=57410&vf=12

"We didn't cheat with GT-R 'Ring time, says Nissan"

Nissan defends legitimacy of GT-R supercar's record lap time against suspicions raised by rival Porsche. By ANDREW HEASLEY in Paris.

Nissan has hit back at suspicions raised by Porsche this week that the record Nurburgring lap time set by the GT-R supercar was achieved in anything other than a standard showroom-specification car.

The matter has reached top brass at Nissan, with its European spokesman at the Paris motor show today confirming the matter has gone ''quite high'' up in the company.

A senior Porsche engineer, August Achleitner, who supervises the development of all 911 sports cars, sparked controversy when he told Australian journalists at the launch of the new 911 Targa in Verona, Italy, this week that they were unable to replicate the record 7 minute 29 second lap time that Nissan claimed the GT-R set in April.

In the hands of a Porsche chassis engineer, the GT-R was 20 seconds slower than a 911 GT2 and 16 seconds slower than a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Achleitner questioned whether the GT-R was running a standard set-up on road tyres or perhaps something more track-oriented.

“Quite simply we're not going to get into a war of words with Porsche,” said Nissan's European spokesman Neil Reeve. “The final word from us is that it was done on absolutely standard tyres which are available to customers in the showroom.They're not trick tyres – absolutely standard tyres, normal road tyres.

“The GT-R comes with Bridgestone and Goodyear (Dunlop). One tyre gives slightly better times around the 'Ring.

“We did it on Dunlop. They're available with the car,” he said.

He was at a loss to explain the disparity over the lap time differences.

“I don't know, honestly I can't explain. I don't think it's for us to explain how they didn't match our time,” Mr Reeve said.

“We absolutely maintain (that) Tochio Suzuki - the chief test driver on the GT-R program pounded thousands of laps - he got to know every inch of Nurburgring (circuit) and how the car performs on the Nurburgring and hence set that fabulous lap. More than that, I can't speculate. I can't explain why they couldn't match the time.”

“We maintain that ... nothing special was done to the car.”

He conceded that the controversy might play on the minds of potential GT-R buyers. Fast lap times of the famous 21-kilometre German circuit are increasingy being used by car companies for bragging rights over performance and engineering prowess.

“The people who'd buy a GT-R or 911 Turbo are not the type of people to make a purchase like that lightly. They going to do an incredible amount of research, they're going to read every single road test that's available in every magazine which is on the internet and they're going to draw their own conclusion. Will it put doubt in their mind? They might find it surprising. In our experience in Europe, the GT-R has widely matched, at least, if not beaten, the 911 Turbo on various track tests. They can draw their own conclusions.

“We think its performance speaks for itself,'' he said.

Reeve wouldn't rule out the possibility of a rematch for the world to see.

“We're considering our options. We're not saying more than that,” he said.

“This (Porsche's questioning of Nissan's claim) happened two days ago, it was a surprising thing to read in the press, it's important.

“But let's not blow it out of all proportion. We're not crying about it. We're not going to sook about it.

“I'm cheeky enough to say it's flattering that Porsche have bought themselves a GT-R and flown it to Germany, they want to try it. I guess that's some kind of stamp of approval.

“It's great to have the competition. We're absolutely proud of the GT-R. It's a fabulous sports car, really epic.

“The level of performance that it delivers is really so impressive for the price it's positioned at,” he said.
They should do a head to head test by an independent party, but get a car from a dealer not from the manufacturer. If this has been posted already, sorry, it's 30 pages, i don't remember what i've read.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes, been posted.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold

That's what impresses me--you are very knowledgeable and obviously a skillful driver and you call a foul when you see one. And, if you are not sure about something you admit to it. You called foul on this car the first time the press raved about it, because you knew much more than the bone head journalists did and realized all the crap they were spouting was BS. They fell for the Nissan bull crap and you didn't. Many of us Porsche fanboys smelled something real bad and knew something was wrong, but did not know enough to explain what was happening. You came to the rescue. You have exposed every lie Nissan has tried to push on us and for that we are grateful. Long live Porsche!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by j.a.cadet
as a car fanatic, i love the GTR. personally i think if you are a true car fanatic you gotta at least respect it. i mean the engineering behind it is amazing. But at the end of the day we can all agree, a porsche is a porsche and a nissan is a nissan. Although they may have similar numbers here and there, i still consider the GT3, turbo, and GT2 in different league.

personally if i could i would have all 4 lol.

I think I have said before and so have many others. I have nothing against the GTR, I have everything against the way Nissan marketed the car. Let the car do the talking and all they had to do was shut their fat trap. Now, they have set the car up to fail because of the high pedestal they have placed it on. Even in the car mag comparos against the viper/GT2 it got smoked. In the one lap of america it got smashed. I have yet to see one break into the 11's, only from promo cars, not from cars that people have witnessed. Most are running mid to high 12's including the car that ran in the one lap event.

Let the cars do the talking and kepp the Liars and Cheats from nissan behind their little desks where they belong.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:30 PM
They haven't ruled out a rematch. Then bring it on! It will be so easy. Let Consumers Guide buy a GTR, GT2 and TT at random from a dealer. That's how they do it. Let the manufacturers choose the drivers.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:36 PM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
I will volunteer to be the "non bias" test pilot

Old 10-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't care what that lying, BS spokesman from Nissan says. Chief Nissan GTR engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno admitted the 7:38 lap was done on "cut slicks", and then later, in a separate interview, he turns around and says it was done on road tires because slicks wouldn't give a real world indication.

Redline Magazine, February 2008, issue 125, page 27.

Check it out for yourself.

Come on, Kazutoshi, which one is it!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by USCCayman
That's what impresses me--you are very knowledgeable and obviously a skillful driver and you call a foul when you see one. And, if you are not sure about something you admit to it. You called foul on this car the first time the press raved about it, because you knew much more than the bone head journalists did and realized all the crap they were spouting was BS. They fell for the Nissan bull crap and you didn't. Many of us Porsche fanboys smelled something real bad and knew something was wrong, but did not know enough to explain what was happening. You came to the rescue. You have exposed every lie Nissan has tried to push on us and for that we are grateful. Long live Porsche!

Thanks. I have another example for you.

If you look at the rennteam link that Mizuno posted, there is a guy from a UK mag that's doing the testing of the GT-R vs the 997 PDK.

Well, the 997 PDK meets or exceeds the GT-R on the straights. The GT2 beats it by 10 mph, and yet they still beat the GT2 with the GT-R. Now that is just **** poor driving in the GT2. Nearly coming to a complete stop, and/or drifting like we saw with the TT. The GT2 is on MPSC as well so there is no reason it cant corner as fast or faster than the GT-R.

This type of stuff pisses me off for several reasons:

- If the GT2 can get 10 mph on a straight that isnt all that long, then there is no way the GT-R can be exiting the corners that much faster, because it would take the GT2 a while to make up for the slow exit. Otherwise, the GT2 should be 20 mph faster on the straight.

-Even if the GT2 crawled the corners (which it obviously is), 10mph difference in accleration speed is a ton and you should be able to beat the slower car unless your car completely SUCKS at turning, and this is a GT2 we are talking about.

EVEN IF YOU THINK I'M CRAZY FOR THAT, LETS GO BACK TO RING TIMES. THE ZR-1 AND ZONDA CAN OBVIOUSLY CORNER AS WELL AS THE GT-R JUDGING BY THE VIDEOS WE'VE SEEN.

SO WHY ARENT THEY PULLING ON THE STRAIGHT THAT'S WAAAAYYYY LONGER THAN THE ONE AT SILVERSTONE???????????????????????

But another guy posted and said he got on track while Nissan were testing during manufacturer days and the "standard" GT-R's were walking away from his 520 race prepped (I.E. gutted) 993 GT2.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by .:Raul
I will volunteer to be the "non bias" test pilot

Like I said, I get to be the one who stands in the middle and drops his arms!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.