997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
"Let’s take a moment to talk about lap times. Consider the following: Last year, I set the fastest Spec Focus lap at the NASA National Championships at 1:45.620. At this year’s Champs, the best lap was 1:48.170, despite the fact that the Spec Focus rules now allow wider tires and lower suspension. Do you really think I’m two and a half seconds better than the best guy was this year, particularly considering that he was driving a better-equipped car? Of course not. Mid-Ohio was slow this year because it rained the day before and washed the rubber off the track, taking a couple of seconds off everybody’s lap. Consider, if you will, that on a track the length of the ‘Ring the equivalent rain-washing time gap would be nine and a half seconds. Lap times set on different days, under different conditions, simply aren’t comparable. It’s that simple. Some days are hot, some days are cool, some days there’s rubber on the track, some days there’s oil. The same competent driver, in the same car, might have a fifteen-second variation from one ‘Ring session to the next. Think about that."

More firewood, discuss.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:45 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vladcanada
"Let’s take a moment to talk about lap times. Consider the following: Last year, I set the fastest Spec Focus lap at the NASA National Championships at 1:45.620. At this year’s Champs, the best lap was 1:48.170, despite the fact that the Spec Focus rules now allow wider tires and lower suspension. Do you really think I’m two and a half seconds better than the best guy was this year, particularly considering that he was driving a better-equipped car? Of course not. Mid-Ohio was slow this year because it rained the day before and washed the rubber off the track, taking a couple of seconds off everybody’s lap. Consider, if you will, that on a track the length of the ‘Ring the equivalent rain-washing time gap would be nine and a half seconds. Lap times set on different days, under different conditions, simply aren’t comparable. It’s that simple. Some days are hot, some days are cool, some days there’s rubber on the track, some days there’s oil. The same competent driver, in the same car, might have a fifteen-second variation from one ‘Ring session to the next. Think about that."

More firewood, discuss.

Lap records were set in TTU, TTR, TTS and TTA, that I know of and maybe more. Some even set by the guys who set the old ones. The track conditions were fine for some periods of time this year and yeilded record times. Just because a guy had more favorable rules does mean he has as good of a focus as you, or is as good of a driver.

I see where you are coming from in terms of track conditions on a track that long though. Just having no rain on the track is a big accomplishment at the ring, and getting perfect conditions is even more of a crap shoot. I have no problem with that. It still doesnt make up for the differences in acceleration. and the fact that the last turn before the straight is a high speed one, it favors the high power cars even more, especially when they easily kept up for the twisty parts of the lap.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I can't believe what I am reading. Is it really true: The transmission and or clutch will cost about 20k to replace in the GT-R? And if your clutch fails from simple wear and tear, the whole transmission will have to go at 20,000 (4 zero's) dollars? I don't want to enjoy on someone else's misery, but this is laughable. Exquisite, just exquisite.

Note to GT-R owners: Sell cars IMMEDIATELY.
Note to GT-R used car shoppers: Must ask to investigate black box, if VDC has ever been used (voids warranty), if launch control has ever been used (voids warranty). Better yet, get a used 996TT -- the real thing.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....st=20&start=20
First off, the clutch is indeed completely integrated, and there is no way (nor any plans from Nissan that my representative knew of) to change that. If the clutch fails, the entire transmission package will need replacement (recommended). The clutch pack is designed to last "as long" as the transmission, so on a general note, they should fail at about the same time.... My rep gave quite a technical answer to my question, and I think she had heard from some very informed people (regarding how and why the clutch is integrated, but you smart car people on here know that, so I won't bore you). I think we are starting to see that the clutches can definitely hold up, even to the point that the gears fail first.

Second question, which my representative said she is working on was: "Since the clutch is fully integrated, is the clutch included in the powertrain warranty?" Usually, clutches are wear and tare items, so they are not covered. However, my representative said that she did not get an answer either way at this point... Since the clutch is integrated, and would require a full transmission replace if broken, one would think that it all has to fall under the warranty. My representative basically said that it wasn't that they didn't have the right person to ask, but that the people in NNA don't know the answer. She also said that, because of this question, they have set up a teleconference for tomorrow with some Nissan big wigs, and the topic will be figuring out the answer to this question. My rep said that she was going to follow the telecon, and get back to me on Thursday with an answer....

Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Do you not think they are clever enough to make a video covering up another of their deceptions???????

The video shows GTR hitting 7:29 TWICE with angles from both outside and Inside. Along with real time timing. But I guess nothing will convince you otherwise.

Link just in case you missed it the first time

Copy and Paste the link, it doesn't work when you direct link for some reason.

[MEDIA]http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=133467[/MEDIA]

Old 10-10-2008, 03:08 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
BTW, the GT-R forum is a real fun place to be and I must admit I've been secretly lurking there for sheer entertainment value. You have innocent owners asking if "turning on the VDC for 3 seconds has voided his warranty" -- , you have GT-R die-hard's playing the reassuring voice "warranty is all in the manual for you to read & should have read before you bought, stupid", then of course the sharks are circling -- vendors offering AND selling components to reduce wheel hop, followed by buyers asking the sharks if this is for real, etc., etc. HILARIOUS!

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showforum=192

It's like a soap opera, teeming with questions, lies, explanations, excuses, everything! It's pure, unadulterated fun. Go there, promise it won't be time wasted! Fast, but heavy, ugly, unreliable, what a tainted car it has turned out to be. I think the Z06 or a used 996TT is a much much better value.

Last edited by cannga; 10-10-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Soooo let me get this straight. I buy a Nissan and when it breaks I pay Ferrari prices to fix it? Hmmm sounds like the deal of the century

Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
No Ferrari is cheaper to fix

Clutch going out on a BMW = $1000.00
Clutch going out on a Porsche = $2000.00
Clutch going out on a Ferrari = $4000.00
Clutch going out on a GT-R = Not priceless...Pricey..

Be interesting to see how much a PLASMA coating of the cylinder walls will cost

Old 10-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Old 10-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Nissan's biggest mistake has been crediting American purchasers with the intelligence not to abuse a car - hence why Ferrari do not offer launch control on their US-market F1 gearboxes and hence why BMW's SMG launch control is no such thing on US-market cars.

You should do a bit of research into BMW's SMG launch control and warranty issues in Europe.

As for Porsche - how many 996 Turbos had transmissions replaced when they mysteriously wouldn't stay in second gear? Or is that not the same thing?

Old 10-10-2008, 03:55 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Nissan's biggest mistake has been crediting American purchasers with the intelligence not to abuse a car - hence why Ferrari do not offer launch control on their US-market F1 gearboxes and hence why BMW's SMG launch control is no such thing on US-market cars.
Nissan's biggest mistake was marketing a car incapable of withstanding the rigors necessary to perform as advertised.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
As for Porsche - how many 996 Turbos had transmissions replaced when they mysteriously wouldn't stay in second gear? Or is that not the same thing?
Hmm...I seem to remember those repairs being honored by warranty. You know...warranty...probably a concept that Nissan's not quite familiar with.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:58 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Akira
The video shows GTR hitting 7:29 TWICE with angles from both outside and Inside. Along with real time timing. But I guess nothing will convince you otherwise.

Link just in case you missed it the first time

Copy and Paste the link, it doesn't work when you direct link for some reason.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=133467

I said what will convince me and prove to the world that the car is stock.

TELEMETRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll let you look it up since you dont seem to know what it is.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Banned
Check the lap traces from evo magazine and Autocar magazine - the GT-R does not accelerate more quickly than cars with a greater power-to-weight ratio (how could it?), it goes quickly by carrying more speed through the corners.

End of story, end of argument.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:07 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
someone with alot of time made this linear regression showing actual ring performance vs expected performance (based on power/weight ratio). All car fall within a std deviation of the curve except for the GTR which falls over 2 deviations outside the expected performance.

Telemetry would show exactly how the numbers could be achieved, and how this was not a stock/std car. It would require any combination of the following:

a)more power than std
b)less weight than std
c)racing compound tires

Old 10-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by eclou
It would require any combination of the following:

a)more power than std
b)less weight than std
c)racing compound tires
Or a more accomplished chassis.

Check the traces from the UK magazines - the car doesn't make time on the straights, it makes it through the corners.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.