997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:12 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Check the lap traces from evo magazine and Autocar magazine - the GT-R does not accelerate more quickly than cars with a greater power-to-weight ratio (how could it?), it goes quickly by carrying more speed through the corners.

End of story, end of argument.
Trommel - a screened cylinder used to separate materials by size - for example, separating municipal waste.

I would have thought with your user name like that, you would have separated the hype from the BS.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Mizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to behold
Nissan lays out new plans to deal with F1 cars

Old 10-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
I would have thought with your user name like that, you would have separated the hype from the BS.
Exactly - I have no agenda. I'm not pro-Nissan; I'm not anti-Porsche.

Facts are what facts are. Stock car, stock tyres - the data shows it is as fast as everyone says it is.

Unlike the internet warriors, I've driven a GT-R on track. It didn't feel mind-bendingly fast in a straight line, but it carried huge speed through the corners (and this was on tired P Zeros).

Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhhahahaahahah ha

Mizuno is a trip.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
someone with alot of time made this linear regression showing actual ring performance vs expected performance (based on power/weight ratio). All car fall within a std deviation of the curve except for the GTR which falls over 2 deviations outside the expected performance.

Telemetry would show exactly how the numbers could be achieved, and how this was not a stock/std car. It would require any combination of the following:

a)more power than std
b)less weight than std
c)racing compound tires

Thank goodness I took statistics...I can actually understand what that graph says...

...it says Nissan final test score would have been pulled because of deviation, and be forced to retake a the test.

So lets have it Nissan...Do it again! I dare you...

Old 10-10-2008, 04:20 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I LOVE every minute of reading this thread. I really should be watching my portfolio but you guys are just "too much" to ignore. Between this thread and Nagtroc, I am spending way way too much time on the computer.

Mitzuno, don't know who you are, but you sure are funny.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:22 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Check the lap traces from evo magazine and Autocar magazine - the GT-R does not accelerate more quickly than cars with a greater power-to-weight ratio (how could it?), it goes quickly by carrying more speed through the corners.

End of story, end of argument.

Cars? What cars? Every car?? Comon dude, that is pathetic.

At the ring it didnt show any more cornering ability than the Zonda or ZR-1. But it sure showed as much straight line speed, which would suggest GT-R's will be flying by people on long straights around the world just like the ZR-1 and Zonda will be doing. And that's simply not the case.

CASE CLOSED.

TELEMETRY OR BAN.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:27 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Ho ho ho. ***MAJOR*** failure of design. Why would ANYONE want to buy this car? Why, oh why?

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....ic=25374&st=40
My understanding is that Borg Warner design and make the twin clutches, triple cone sycronisers and some of the hydraulic control system.
The actual Gears and transaxle castings are designed and made by Nissan
GKN provide the electromagnetic 4 wd torque distribution and LSD.

As a ex gearbox designer the failures seen so far appear to be strength not wear related, and quite suprising to me that the larger of the gear set has failed as it is the smaller gear that is normally designed with higher strength materials. Wonder if Nissan just need to use higher strength materials or hardening on the larger first gear.

It is a major failure in design that the gearbox fails before a half shaft or stub axle connection. It is pretty simple to design in a torque limiting device which would have the added advantage (at least for Nissan) of stopping abuse from the increased torque of tuning.

I have heard from a reliable source that the clutch pack was designed for 140,000 miles of normal use. Its not clear what the definition of normal use for this car is though...

Last edited by cannga; 10-10-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:28 PM

LOL, the **** has hit the fan now. I can see the panic at Nissan now not thinking they'd be called out so quickly. But they knew it was coming from covering up the problems from the Japan release. They issued a recall on the car over there.

5 years of developement - 100 million

Porsche Turbo media prop - 130,000

Broken tranny - 20,000

Brake change - 7,000

Recall in first month - priceless

Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by heavychevy
At the ring it didnt show any more cornering ability than the Zonda or ZR-1. But it sure showed as much straight line speed, which would suggest GT-R's will be flying by people on long straights around the world just like the ZR-1 and Zonda will be doing. And that's simply not the case.

CASE CLOSED.

TELEMETRY OR BAN.
What on earth are you talking about? On what basis can you possibly tell it didn't corner more quickly? It's obvious watching the split-screen of the GT-R and ZR1 laps where the Corvette makes its time, and it isn't away from the straight bits.

Telemetry or ban? I don't have a direct line into Nissan's R&D department (although you seem to think you know more than they do).

Facts please, just facts, and not conjecture and fabrication.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Dez, wonder what GTrawr would run at Road ATL.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Too funny. Just like the veterans of nagtroc, go ahead and blame the "stupid" customers. I don't know if any of the following is true, but it WAS reported in the mecca that is nagtroc ():

1. In order to lure innocent and gullible customers, they advertised "faster than Porsche."

2. To be faster than Porsche requires a mid 3 seconds 0-60 time.

3. To have a mid 3 seconds 0-60 time, you MUST turn off VDC for launch control.

4. But the warranty is voided if you turn off VDC or use launch control.

Where in the above 4 steps to Nirvana is it the customer's fault? You seem to be a knowledgeable person (looking to buy a Turbo), why on earth are you taking chances with a near 4000 lbs, ugly, and unreliable car?

Nissan's biggest mistake has been crediting American purchasers with the intelligence not to abuse a car - hence why Ferrari do not offer launch control on their US-market F1 gearboxes and hence why BMW's SMG launch control is no such thing on US-market cars.

You should do a bit of research into BMW's SMG launch control and warranty issues in Europe.

As for Porsche - how many 996 Turbos had transmissions replaced when they mysteriously wouldn't stay in second gear? Or is that not the same thing?

Last edited by cannga; 10-10-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cannga
You seem to be a knowledgeable person (looking to buy a Turbo), why on earth are you taking chances with a near 4000 lbs, ugly, and unreliable car?
Simply because the GT-R is a better car than a 997 Turbo. Don't knock it until you've tried it. All it lacks is the prestige badge to massage the ego of the insecure owner.

No doubt the next generation of 911 will be better still (it better be unless they only want to sell Cayennes). It's the way it works.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:15 PM
You are not disagreeing that it is ugly, weighs near 4000 lbs, and has potentially very expensive reliability problems? Just that it's "better"?

Simply because the GT-R is a better car than a 997 Turbo. Don't knock it until you've tried it. All it lacks is the prestige badge to massage the ego of the insecure owner.

No doubt the next generation of 911 will be better still (it better be unless they only want to sell Cayennes). It's the way it works.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

The GTR is a POS, knowck it after you have tried it. I have not seen a real one run under mid 12's. It weighs 4000 lbs. It's ugly as sheeit. It has the Nissan brand name which is not kown for reliability like toyota or Honda. Explain to me again what is it about this car, oh yah, it's the B-boy racer look that you little kids like. But I agree with you that on PS2 and 3 the GTR kicks **** in a big way....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.