997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Prche951
The GTR is a POS, knowck it after you have tried it. I have not seen a real one run under mid 12's. It weighs 4000 lbs. It's ugly as sheeit. It has the Nissan brand name which is not kown for reliability like toyota or Honda. Explain to me again what is it about this car, oh yah, it's the B-boy racer look that you little kids like. But I agree with you that on PS2 and 3 the GTR kicks **** in a big way....
You'd never know you were American. I'm buying it because it's a very capable car and great to drive. The badge is an irrelevance, I'm not that insecure.

I'm also not some redneck whose only interest is the dragstrip.

As for looks - if any company introduced a clean-sheet new car which looked like a 997, people would cry with laughter.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:35 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
And you are not denying that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE are you to take this car to the drag trip, because a launch control for the advertised 0-60 time would void your warranty? Just that "you are not a red neck whose only interest is the dragstrip"?

So far the list:

Near 4000 lbs (you, knowledgeable and from England, of all people should know about weight and sports car)
Potential Very Expensive Reliability Problem -- Not Covered by Warrranty
Can't achieve 0-60 advertised time.
(Fair enough, I'll remove ugly for now.)

Originally Posted by Trommel
You'd never know you were American. I'm buying it because it's a very capable car and great to drive. The badge is an irrelevance, I'm not that insecure.

As for looks - if any company introduced a clean-sheet new car which looked like a 997, people would cry with laughter.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

oh American jokes. Cool. Let's go there, Hey, when are you guys(UK) ever going to make a reliable car, oh yah, maybe when the earth goes back to pre electronics and uses cables for control, you may make some reliable cars then.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:09 PM
kilodawg is infamous around these parts
cannga,

Please reconsider and put ugly back in....Please....

Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Simply because the GT-R is a better car than a 997 Turbo. Don't knock it until you've tried it. All it lacks is the prestige badge to massage the ego of the insecure owner.

No doubt the next generation of 911 will be better still (it better be unless they only want to sell Cayennes). It's the way it works.

Wow, after al this you still have the nerve to assert that the GT-R is a better car?

The 997 Turbo:

-Costs much less to maintain (which surprises everyone)
-Is faster accelerating
-Better quality interior
-More sturdy
-A better quality and more comfortable ride
-More Durable (and that's sad that we know this so soon after GT-R release)
-Has a much broader visual appeal (I.E. attractive to more people)
-Has Porsche Service
-A warranty you can count on
-A proven near bullet proof motor
-Lighter
-Has manual option
-Launch Control you can actually use

So tell me what the GT-R has in advantages and lets see who wins this discussion.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:13 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Is Trommel for real?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
Dez, wonder what GTrawr would run at Road ATL.

One ran a 1:36.8 in a time trial not long ago. Which is ok, but nothing near GT3 or GT2 not to mention a CGT.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:22 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
You guys are killing me...
Originally Posted by kilodawg
cannga,

Please reconsider and put ugly back in....Please....

Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Prche951
The GTR is a POS, knowck it after you have tried it. I have not seen a real one run under mid 12's. It weighs 4000 lbs. It's ugly as sheeit. It has the Nissan brand name which is not kown for reliability like toyota or Honda. Explain to me again what is it about this car, oh yah, it's the B-boy racer look that you little kids like. But I agree with you that on PS2 and 3 the GTR kicks **** in a big way....

Here's one that did 11.9 for the GTR and 11.7 for the 997TT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlD4DUxaa2g

Here's a amateur video with the GTR doing 11.27, probably had slicks on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFyaHPGJ6nU

Again, i still believe that the GTR is way under-rated.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:20 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Wow, after al this you still have the nerve to assert that the GT-R is a better car?

The 997 Turbo:

-Costs much less to maintain (which surprises everyone)
-Is faster accelerating
-Better quality interior
-More sturdy
-A better quality and more comfortable ride
-More Durable (and that's sad that we know this so soon after GT-R release)
-Has a much broader visual appeal (I.E. attractive to more people)
-Has Porsche Service
-A warranty you can count on
-A proven near bullet proof motor
-Lighter
-Has manual option
-Launch Control you can actually use

So tell me what the GT-R has in advantages and lets see who wins this discussion.
It's a better value. If you ignore price, the TT is better. Is that so hard to understand?

GT-R Cons:
Ugly
Limited Prestige
Heavy
Expensive Maintenance

GT-R Pros:
Dramatically cheaper than comparably equipped 997TT
Faster tranny makes car faster than expected
Better AWD and "PSM" systems makes car faster than expected
Less turbo lag
Faster for most people to drive around most tracks in the world (no head-to head test has shown otherwise)
Is the new-new thing; fun to drive the car du jour

If money is no object, you should just buy every car you like (or buy two of each-- or three). For normal people, money matters.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Wow 40 pages and counting...

IMO Launch Control/Warranty Void Mode should be removed as a performance enhancer and/or selling point unless Nissan will honor it's use, otherwise it's absolutely absurd.
That being said, no one realizes aside from the obvious warranty issues that Nissan should be ashamed of, that the performance point is really moot until a head to head comparo is done with full verification of both cars by independent sources, around the ring or not.

So far P-car owners whine about "magazine racers/PS3 fanboys/etc " coming in and talking about the GTR like they have driven it.
I still have to ask, aside from Chrisn (who is so obviously above this ridiculous pettiness) how many of you have had the keys to one??
HC?? How many hotlaps have you made in a US spec GTR?

HC, I respect your extensive track experience, but point is, you have never driven one or done any hotlaps with one. Considering the whole magazine racer argument, do come back with seat time in one and then talk about what a retail GTR feels like to drive based on experience.
Until then, everything you say is still conjecture, albeit informed conjecture.

As for the rest of the P-car owners who seem to have little to actually contribute to the argument, do pull your tongues out of HC's ***.
He doesn't need the ego boost nor the cheer-leading, and you don't need his defense of your TTs from the GTR.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:59 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by porsherboy
Code Red, code Red, Nissan Japan - stop all productions of GTRs immediately! Dedicated internet user has discovered a flaw in the design of the GTR's gearbox through months of extensive research on internet forums looking through ONE picture of broken GTR gearbox. This guy is a legend, please hire him to work for your company ASAP and fire all your transmission engineers.
Porsherboy is this you?

Old 10-10-2008, 10:21 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stradaONE8

IMO Launch Control/Warranty Void Mode should be removed as a performance enhancer and/or selling point unless Nissan will honor it's use, otherwise it's absolutely absurd.
That being said, no one realizes aside from the obvious warranty issues that Nissan should be ashamed of, that the performance point is really moot until a head to head comparo is done with full verification of both cars by independent sources, around the ring or not.

So far P-car owners whine about "magazine racers/PS3 fanboys/etc " coming in and talking about the GTR like they have driven it.
I still have to ask, aside from Chrisn (who is so obviously above this ridiculous pettiness) how many of you have had the keys to one??

HC, I respect your extensive track experience, but point is, you have never driven one or done any hotlaps with one. Considering the whole magazine racer argument, do come back with seat time in one and then talk about what a retail GTR feels like to drive based on experience.

As for the rest of the P-car owners who seem to have little to actually contribute to the argument, do pull your tongues out of HC's ***.
He doesn't need the ego boost nor the cheer-leading, and you don't need his defense of your TTs from the GTR.
Wow! Well said and to the point. I guess anyone that hasn't driven the GTR including myself is guilty for mag-racing and speculating, regardless which side you're on, whether you're hatin on the GTR or a fan of the GTR. I honestly think that the whole issue of the 7:29 in The Ring doesn't really matter because if it is proven which it has been already with the video, GTR haters will still not give the GTR any credit or validation. On the other hand, the issue with the warranty being voided if the VDC is off and the LC being used is just utterly ridiculous and unfair. Nissan should be embarrased about this and should get sued for this and i hope the owners that are having problems with this should be properly taken care of and not a dime should come out of their pocket. JMHO

BTW, can we move on and just stop childish bickering. Seriously, it's just a car, try not to take this so personal. Unless you're one of the GTR owners that are having problems with the warranty, there's really no need to be upset about Nissan or the GTR. And if Nissan is lying, which i don't think they are, at least not with the 7:29 time, so what. Again, I think and almost sure that the only thing that Nissan is lying about is the HP of the GTR. And if you think about it, the 997TT has the upper hand since the GTR has to make so much more power just to match the 997TT's performance. Cheers.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaeS4
Wow! Well said and to the point. I guess anyone that hasn't driven the GTR including myself is guilty for mag-racing and speculating, regardless which side you're on, whether you're hatin on the GTR or a fan of the GTR. I honestly think that the whole issue of the 7:29 in The Ring doesn't really matter because if it is proven which it has been already with the video, GTR haters will still not give the GTR any credit or validation. On the other hand, the issue with the warranty being voided if the VDC is off and the LC being used is just utterly ridiculous and unfair. Nissan should be embarrased about this and should get sued for this and i hope the owners that are having problems with this should be properly taken care of and not a dime should come out of their pocket. JMHO

BTW, can we move on and just stop childish bickering. Seriously, it's just a car, try not to take this so personal. Unless you're one of the GTR owners that are having problems with the warranty, there's really no need to be upset about Nissan or the GTR. And if Nissan is lying, which i don't think they are, at least not with the 7:29 time, so what. Again, I think and almost sure that the only thing that Nissan is lying about is the HP of the GTR. And if you think about it, the 997TT has the upper hand since the GTR has to make so much more power just to match the 997TT's performance. Cheers.
At last, half-way sensible posts.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by stradaONE8

While I agree to a certain point, me driving a GT-R isnt going to be any confirmation of a ring time. I fully acknowledge that its a fast car, but until I see them without obviously inconsistent mag results, some of which obviously rigged, and beating the guys I knowto be fast in GT3's and Z06's, then I wont be convinced.

There is no way to really make a comparison based judgement unless you are driving them all GT2,GT3, GT-R, Z06, CGT, Scud etc etc etc. I have no interest in driving the GT-R either, so it will have to be a case where I'm asked to do so, because there wont be any where I will seek the opportunity.

Beyond that, this is a forum of mostly grown men here posting, so telling them what to do isnt going to carry any weight. I get the most heat in this thread from the fanboys, and onversely the most support from people with similar opinions. So like I always say, until you can balance out your arguement, which is clearly one sided (and on foreign turf no less), and show yourself a reputable member of this forum, your demands and ctiticisms wont gain much ground.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.