997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
I literally posted about this in MAY...was met with nonsense despite it being 100% an info thread.
I maintain that was another subversion by Nissan to run with "better" dry tires to set the ring time and then put a slower set on the premium model which would setup the thought process that the more expensive setup would be even faster...thus more $ for less speed.
Shady when I posted it, shady now. Especially with coinciding transmission failures that are now coming to light.

And as for giving credit to tire companies, that's obvious in every case no matter what car or what tire. But people are still going to comment on the car as a whole...just a point of thought. That's like saying Porsche should credit Michelin for running Sport Cups...well obviously, but that's really not the point IMO.

Also whoever was those posting to Guy's gearbox issue. The whole GTR tranny costs 20k to replace, not the clutch alone, which there are two of anyways.
Interesting, I see where you are coming from. The difference with Porsche is that everyone knows what MPSC are. And if anything Porsche are not getting what they deserve from them. The Porsche factory MPSC have ~30% more grooves for wet water channeling because store bought non Porsche spec MPSC are not very good at all in the rain. Most people who've tried the Porsche spec MPSC in the dry really hate them.

People were really under the imression that the GT-R was on crappy runflats inspite of RE's being VERY fast tires in their non runflat form. In fact in the top tier of non R comp street tires. And Nissan had them improved greatly, and then somehow have gotten their hands on something that destroys them.

Not only that, but most of these comparos do 1 to a few laps of testing. MPSC take either a heavy car, or lots of driving to #1 get broken in and #2 get hot and start gripping. Which is why I pitched a fit when Chris Harris did that stupid 1 lap test with the GT-R and GT3 in 32* weather. That seemed intentional. They've never done such a test with only one lap in those conditions, but they knew the GT3 would have a tough time on the cold MPSC. The GT3 was pushing badly because the MPSC are a liability in those conditions, had they done a few laps the GT-R would have gotten whooped.

As for the clutches, we know the clutches dont cost 20k, but as of now, if the clutch has to be replaced, the whole tranny goes with it and vice versa. Tranny change includes clutch change as well. The result is both costing 20k to replace, which is obsurdinsanity.

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-13-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Interesting, I see where you are coming from. The difference with Porsche is that everyone knows what MPSC are.

And if anything Porsche are not getting what they deserve from them. The Porsche factory MPSC have ~30% more grooves for wet water channeling because store bought non Porsche spec MPSC are not very good at all in the rain. Most people who've tried the Porsche spec MPSC in the dry really hate them.

People were really under the imression that the GT-R was on crappy runflats inspite of RE's being VERY fast tires in their non runflat form. In fact in the top tier of non R comp street tires. And Nissan had them improved greatly, and then somehow have gotten their hands on something that destroys them.

Not only that, but most of these comparos do 1 to a few laps of testing. MPSC take either a heavy car, or lots of driving to #1 get broken in and #2 get hot and start gripping. Which is why I pitched a fit when Chris Harris did that stupid 1 lap test with the GT-R and GT3 in 32* weather. That seemed intentional. They've never done such a test with only one lap in those conditions, but they knew the GT3 would have a tough time on the cold MPSC. The GT3 was pushing badly because the MPSC are a liability in those conditions, had they done a few laps the GT-R would have gotten whooped.

As for the clutches, we know the clutches dont cost 20k, but as of now, if the clutch has to be replaced, the whole tranny goes with it and vice versa. Tranny change includes clutch change as well. The result is both costing 20k to replace, which is obsurdinsanity.

I don't know about EVERYONE, but I get your point. And I agree/thought that Nissan was using the lack of info, thanks in part to it being a new car and a new customer base to increase profits with the Premium pack despite dry performance being lessened. Hence my post back in May. Cheap trick no matter how you cut it, if you don't say it up front, which lets be honest, they haven't done that in many other aspects...

I didn't even have the foggiest there were multiple MPSC lines...good to know.

As for the Chris Harris test, I thought that was a bit ridiculous to do 1 cold lap and 1 hotlap. Different tires take different times to warm up to capacity but aside from that the GTR is known to be easier to drive fast thanks to the compy, so likely easier to get closer to capability in 2 laps than a GT3/M3.
Again, both points I took from you that I otherwise wouldn't have even thought of.

Finally, touche on the clutch cost. I think it will be the achilles heel of DSG/PDK/ what have you for the time being. And it absolutely is absurdity, but not unexpected.

Infiniti pulled the same crap with the G I am driving now. A large % of G35s/350zs from 05-07 were having a piston-ring seal issue that caused massive oil burnoff over minimal miles that wasn't covered until a massive lawsuit leading to a recall/TSB. So not the first time Nissan has pulled this ****. My car has so far been lucky...*fingers crossed* until I upgrade post medical school/residency.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 10-13-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
This is the stage of reconciliation. Finally surrendering and starting to bad mouth Nissan. You unfaithful snake. (Just kidding.) With a begging tone towards Heavychevy.

A premed student with a filthy mouth. You are giving a bad name to doctors. Father is a radiologist right? Does he know his son has a filthy mouth and preoccupied with "*****" and "***"?

I want to see more anger!

I don't know about EVERYONE, but I get your point. And I agree/thought that Nissan was using the lack of info, thanks in part to it being a new car and a new customer base to increase profits with the Premium pack despite dry performance being lessened. Hence my post back in May. Cheap trick no matter how you cut it, if you don't say it up front, which lets be honest, they haven't done that in many other aspects...

I didn't even have the foggiest there were multiple MPSC lines...good to know.

As for the Chris Harris test, I thought that was a bit ridiculous to do 1 cold lap and 1 hotlap. Different tires take different times to warm up to capacity but aside from that the GTR is known to be easier to drive fast thanks to the compy, so likely easier to get closer to capability in 2 laps than a GT3/M3.
Again, both points I took from you that I otherwise wouldn't have even thought of.

Finally, touche on the clutch cost. I think it will be the achilles heel of DSG/PDK/ what have you for the time being. And it absolutely is absurdity, but not unexpected.

Infiniti pulled the same crap with the G I am driving now. A large % of G35s/350zs from 05-07 were having a piston-ring seal issue that caused massive oil burnoff over minimal miles that wasn't covered until a massive lawsuit leading to a recall/TSB. So not the first time Nissan has pulled this ****. My car has so far been lucky...*fingers crossed* until I upgrade post medical school/residency.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
^^^Have you interviewed for medical school yet? Do they know what bad temper and filthy mouth you have? You are not yet a doctor and already are giving shame to that profession. Well DOCTOR, if you have such a filthy mouth, at least be smart enough not to disclose in public your private life.

I want to see more profanity from the future DOCTOR. What a shame. Scary to think this DOCTOR is preoccupied with ***** and ***.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cannga
This is the stage of reconciliation. Finally surrendering and starting to bad mouth Nissan. You unfaithful snake. (Just kidding.) With a begging tone towards Heavychevy.

A premed student with a filthy mouth. You are giving a bad name to doctors. Father is a radiologist right? Does he know his son has a filthy mouth and preoccupied with "*****" and "***"?

I want to see more anger!
same old pointless and fallacy filled response. You should really think before you type.
HC makes a good point and spoke civily, I'm going to be civil back. I always agree and compliment if he says something good, have done so long before this thread and for anyone, not just HC. Heck, you make a good point one of these days, I'll do the same for you, just waiting on it...
If HC makes silly point or acts like an ***, I call him out...also done so before this thead, will do so again if need be.
As for begging tone, not even sure where that applies to comments about tires and piston-ring seals, but ok, sure lets run with that.

Then comes your second paragraph, which is almost a complete and utter failure.

>I am a medical student, not premed. -1
>Cannot give doctors a bad name until I am one, and until my patients say that about me. So far, I'm doing pretty well in terms of my reviews pertaining to people skills from supervising docs and patients alike, thanks for your input. -2
>No my dad isn't a radiologist, he's a college professor. -3
>Filthy mouth? Again, looking for profanities, and aside from one in my last post not directed at you but Infiniti, can't find one. Wait are you considering *****/masturbation bad words? Sorry, didn't realize you were eight years old. Poppyc*ck! <- watch out, strong profanity -4

That totals -4 for your ability to read and make points based on it...good work.

I won't even validate your comment about my stance about the GTR...we already know from above reading isn't your strong suit.

Anger/Angry! Cause you asked for it...

EDIT:
Originally Posted by cannga
^^^Have you interviewed for medical school yet? Do they know what bad temper and filthy mouth you have? You are not yet a doctor and already are giving shame to that profession. Well DOCTOR, if you have such a filthy mouth, at least be smart enough not to disclose in public your private life.

I want to see more profanity from the future DOCTOR. What a shame. Scary to think this DOCTOR is preoccupied with ***** and ***.
Another double post with the exact same content of the first failed post.
Am I a premed STUDENT or a DOCTOR? I'm confused...in one sentence I'm still interviewing to get in, in the other, I'm a perverted doc with a bad mouth.
Care for consistency or should I continue to make you look silly? Just because I'm training to be a doc, doesn't mean I have to be a saint. I'm still allowed to make you look like a fool if you continue to act like one while portraying yourself as intelligent.
Also, mentioning what I do isn't exactly private life...there are more than a few medical students in the country, I think my privacy is safe...thanks for you concern.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 10-13-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 PM
^^^^^ Uh oh, the young DOCTOR with the A+ in "people skills" is mad. He's now into masturbation and calling me Poppyc*ck! My honor is hurt. I want more from you, DOCTOR. More filthy language!

So far the DOCTOR has proven:
1. Filthy mouth.
2. Preoccupied with *****, ***, now masturbation.
3. Betrayed Nissan -- turned into a snake when the going gets hot.
4. Tried to chat with Heavychevy (Trust me he has ZERO interest in your private life -- I am his third friend I know. )
5. Tried to reconcile.
6. Lost the argument. The very reason he's here to begin with.
7. Lost his cool.

DOCTOR, I would like to see more anger from you!
Wonder where the doctor's PROFESSOR father has gone wrong? How his son has such a filthy mouth and terrible temper tantrum. Is the father perhaps... Professor of Linguistics?
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CCANPHA%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> DOCTOR, regardless of what stage you are, you are a shame to your profession. I am willing to bet the moment you leave this forum is the moment every MD here breathes a sigh of relief, no more shame of the future disaster that is you.

Last edited by cannga; 10-13-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Poppyc*ck isn't a profanity, it means empty writing/talk...in reference to your post, not you as a person.

EDIT: Check your pm. We're done here.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 10-14-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Here's the results from C&D's lightning lap. Pretty interesting and amazing.

The Scuderia at under 2800lbs with a 25hp advantage and 1000lbs advantage over the GTR, and it only beats it by 1 second. No way the GTR is only making 485hp.

Last edited by jaeS4; 10-13-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Grip numbers on the GTR are similar to those on the infamous "Ring" lap, just to point out coincidence...
Any indication whether this was a Standard vs Premium model that was run?

That ACR looking faster and faster as well.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Grip numbers on the GTR are similar to those on the infamous "Ring" lap, just to point out coincidence...
Any indication whether this was a Standard vs Premium model that was run?

That ACR looking faster and faster as well.
I honestly don't know bro, i haven't read the whole article yet. Yes,the ACR is a beast.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Mizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to behold
Old 10-14-2008, 02:54 AM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SRatha
I wonder how amazing it is for you when your transmission rips apart, of course if you live in the UK you wouldn't have to worry much about the warranty, there isn't a warranty is there?. It is a risk you take which some of those GTR owners wouldn't want to left to chance. Now, it doesn't really matter does it? the car is falling apart (possibly due to the fact that Nissan pushed it more than it could take) and now they slapped everyone in the face by stating everyone's warranty is void because the car designed to be launch is not suppose to be launched. To make matters worse, Nissan have just suspended the GTR production, what does that tell you?

Guy, am no way trying to offend you but you have to agree with me that Nissan is being fishy here, launch control, warranty void, transmission problems, and the list continues, I certainly should be worried if I have one of these...
never thought someone from Cambodia is on here.Awesome good to hear

Old 10-14-2008, 07:35 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Old 10-14-2008, 08:10 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
There are some people over there claimng only 1 transmission that has failed.

I know of 4 on the boards. How many are not on the boards?

There are 2 in my area, one in Russia, and Sept in Florida. Am I missing anymore?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
There are some people over there claimng only 1 transmission that has failed.

I know of 4 on the boards. How many are not on the boards?

There are 2 in my area, one in Russia, and Sept in Florida. Am I missing anymore?
There's a lot of FUD out there. I think some bad trannies are double counted and some related to a know / prior oil pump issue that fixed by the time the USDM version shipped.

My understanding is that NNA is aware of two U.S. cars with tranny issues, including the guy who started the mego thread on NAGTROC.

We should also note that his DEALER and reginal service folks told him no warranty coverage, but he is "in discussion" with NNA. We don't know yet whether it will be covered or, if not, what the price will be. I have have a few issues "denied" by local team, that was ultimately covered once I objected and they ran up flagpole.

People are right to be concerned, but I think a bit too soon to panic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.