997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:21 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I would just like to point out that the three ALMS P2 championships in a row plus the current ALMS GT2 championship shows that Porsche does know a thing or two about driving and setting records where it counts: internationally sanctioned, professionally timed and scored events. Until this is done at the ring, none of those ring records really amounts to a hill a beans.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
They're concentrating on their drifting program. Factory driven...watch out Falken.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Besides...

They can't cheat with tires against M3s, RSRs, F430 GTs, FGTs, Vipers, and Vettes.

2nd thought..
The transmissions would just go out so it wouldn't matter.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by eclou

Enjoy your Sentra!
- Gene - you don't say much but when you do its too funny..

Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Germanys 911 vs. Japanese GTR - through the years.

1972: Porsche

1972: Nissan GT-R

Moving on to 1989 to be fair to the GTR

1989: Porsche 911 Turbo

1989: Nissan GT-R

1991: Porsche 911 Turbo

1991: Nissan GT-R

1997: Porsche Turbo-S

1997: Nissan GTR- R33

Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
If you actually like cars, as opposed to the perceived effect of the badge on the front of them, how can you not respect each incarnation of the GT-R just as you do the 911?

How many of you have ever even driven a GT-R, of any kind?

Having driven both Porsches and examples of the the BNR32, BCNR33, BNR34 and R35 GT-R I expect I'm in a more qualified position than most of you.

As for heavyChevy - your inane ramblings are entirely based on hopelessly amateurish "calculations" - every aspect of your "argument" revolves around performance figures and the random extrapolations you make from them. Where I'm from, 0.2 seconds and 2 mph in the quarter, or the difference between 3.7 and 3.4 seconds to 60, is a complete irrelevance to adults.

It may come as a shock, but if you actually took the time to read (that's the words, not just the numbers) the UK magazines you are so disparaging about, you'll realise that that there is any case an awful lot more to a good car than how fast the numbers suggest it is.

Perhaps if you actually took the time to drive a GT-R you would be able to understand how it can take so much time out of a GT3 or Turbo around a track - in the meantime, just ask any of the many 911 owners who are buying and have driven the GT-R what they think. Until then, you will continue to give the impression of being a deranged adolescent with a weird grudge.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Driving a car is a highly subjective thing, quite often the car you are driving feels great at the time. And we already know that results at weekend club events are so highly dependent on driver expertise. The only way to really shake this thing down is to have the Porsche and Nissan compete against one another at sanctioned events. Because of the GTR's 4 wheel drive, it isn't likely to have to compete against much of anything in a real race because most sanctioned events don't allow 4 wheel drive. Hmmmm, maybe this occured to Nissan: make it 4 wheel drive and it won't have to prove it's self against any other cars in professional events . Maybe Nissan will put their money where their mouth is and show up at the 24 hours of Nurburgring with a GTR or two next time.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Hmmmm, maybe this occured to Nissan: make it 4 wheel drive and it won't have to prove it's self against any other cars in professional events
I'm sure that's exactly what they thought.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:54 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Germanys 911 vs. Japanese GTR - through the years.

1972: Porsche

1972: Nissan GT-R

Moving on to 1989 to be fair to the GTR

1989: Porsche 911 Turbo

1989: Nissan GT-R

1991: Porsche 911 Turbo

1991: Nissan GT-R

1997: Porsche Turbo-S

1997: Nissan GTR- R33

Alpine 997 with eh pwnz on n00bz! awdz zomg

Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 AM
blackbeast99 is infamous around these parts
Alpine that's great lol.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:47 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
If you actually like cars, as opposed to the perceived effect of the badge on the front of them, how can you not respect each incarnation of the GT-R just as you do the 911?

How many of you have ever even driven a GT-R, of any kind?

Having driven both Porsches and examples of the the BNR32, BCNR33, BNR34 and R35 GT-R I expect I'm in a more qualified position than most of you.

As for heavyChevy - your inane ramblings are entirely based on hopelessly amateurish "calculations" - every aspect of your "argument" revolves around performance figures and the random extrapolations you make from them. Where I'm from, 0.2 seconds and 2 mph in the quarter, or the difference between 3.7 and 3.4 seconds to 60, is a complete irrelevance to adults.

It may come as a shock, but if you actually took the time to read (that's the words, not just the numbers) the UK magazines you are so disparaging about, you'll realise that that there is any case an awful lot more to a good car than how fast the numbers suggest it is.

Perhaps if you actually took the time to drive a GT-R you would be able to understand how it can take so much time out of a GT3 or Turbo around a track - in the meantime, just ask any of the many 911 owners who are buying and have driven the GT-R what they think. Until then, you will continue to give the impression of being a deranged adolescent with a weird grudge.
Who cares what you have driven? Have you driven one like you owned it on a track at the limit??

The UK magazines are trash. And they have telemetry and videos to show it.

And contrary to your ignorance, many more people care about 0-60 and 1/4 mile than do about the road course. At least here in the states, because drag racing is #1 WAYYYYY cheaper #2 More readily available #3 Easier to get right #4 Less hazardous to the car.

Why do you think there are guys with 70+ launches on the cars and trannies breaking? Because the guy wanted people to see the car handle????

If Nissan didnt give waivers and intimidate people with voided warranties for what THEY advertised, almost every GT-R would be broken from launches. And people dont care about 0-60??

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-21-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porsherboy
So P fanbois - your P-car aint the indesctructable, invincible, bulletproof holly grail that you all think it is, is it now? I thought Porsche only release something when they've thoroughly tested it? What happened to "Porsche's superior reliability"?
You guys are so quick to trash talk Nissan and now look what has happened. What goes around comes aroundhilariou s And to think, this is just the 2wd model!! Like i said earlier - I would like to see Porsche put LC on their new AWD turbo and see how many of those break!!
Geez, in Australia - i rather have a GTR over the 911 pdk and save myself $90k any day. No brainer decision here. No wonder Porsche is spreading lies - their *** is grass.

ONE PDK HAS HAD PROBLEMS

Whereas:

-Edmunds (weeks of problems on a long term test, completely failed the test, and was slow)
-Best Motoring vs GT2 (fail)
-Best Motoring (NSX,GT3RS,GT2) (limp mode)
- 1 in Russia
-and 4 or 5 known cases in the states
-ALL OF JAPAN!!!! RECALL!!!!!!
-A few grey market cars

All have had problems with GT-R tranny's. Many not covered by warranty, and some only covered to keep the GT-R problems under wraps until the US release.

You can try to compare the two, but there is no comparison.

Porsche didnt put the PDK on the TT because it was blowing up just like the GT-R's are in the customers hands. But Porsche doesnt send out faulty crap to their customers. They wait until it's really ready to go in the car.

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-21-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:01 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
GTR fans will recognize this best man as one of their own:

<object height="322" width="512">

<embed src="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.com/yep/YV_YEP.swf?ver=2.2.30" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" flashvars="id=10203309&vid=3710199&lang=en-us&intl=us&thumbUrl=http%3A//us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sch/cn/video09/3710199_rnd79d624a8_19.jpg&embed=1&ap=butterfinger " height="322" width="512"></object>
Worst Best Man Ever @ Yahoo! Video

Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Who cares what you have driven?
I'd suggest that first-hand experience counts for infinitely more than your juvenile attention-seeking. How can you review a car without ever driving it?

Have you driven one like you owned it on a track at the limit??
Yes. I drove it as hard as my abilities allowed, and showed less respect to it than I would have done if it were my own car. "Drive it like you stole it" were the instructions.

The UK magazines are trash. And they have telemetry and videos to show it.
You really are proving your ignorance. Wait, let me guess - you rate Motor Trend above evo magazine?

And contrary to your ignorance, many more people care about 0-60 and 1/4 mile than do about the road course. At least here in the states, because drag racing is #1 WAYYYYY cheaper #2 More readily available #3 Easier to get right #4 Less hazardous to the car.

Why do you think there are guys with 70+ launches on the cars and trannies breaking? Because the guy wanted people to see the car handle???
I'd suggest that only a simpleton (or redneck - I appreciate there's some overlap) would buy a car with an extremely sophisticated chassis like a GT-R or GT3 and expect nothing more of it than to drag like something with a TH400, solid axle and big MTs. Why waste your money? Buy an old Nova and spend $10k on it if that's all you want. Beyond ridiculous.

I'll let you keep digging.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Banned
ONE PDK HAS HAD PROBLEMS
I suggest you do a little more research.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.