997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Tell that to the Ferrari's and Ford GT's in ALMS

Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Tell that to the Ferrari's and Ford GT's in ALMS

I'd rather Porsche just show them.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:32 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
It was up to them to show Porsche. Hasnt worked just yet.

7 of 9 ALMS titles and counting. 911 FTW.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Well, that proves it. The Cayman needs the GT3 motor and it would be the best sports car in th world. Then again, the Mini took third?
The Mini must have had the LSD option...

Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
It was up to them to show Porsche. Hasnt worked just yet.

7 of 9 ALMS titles and counting. 911 FTW.
Porsche is afraid the Cayman will kill it's big brother.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
The Mini must have had the LSD option...
That explains it!

Old 10-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Porsche is afraid the Cayman will kill it's big brother.

And the company, the cayman isnt different or substantial enough to be the flagship of Porsche who's history has largely been built on the 911. Porsche has tried to push the 911 out with a more balanced platform and it failed, and would fail again.

The only advantage to using a cayman is that a V8 or bigger could easily fit in it (at least one designed for a V8)

Old 10-22-2008, 04:43 PM
And the company, the cayman isnt different or substantial enough to be the flagship of Porsche who's history has largely been built on the 911. Porsche has tried to push the 911 out with a more balanced platform and it failed, and would fail again.

The only advantage to using a cayman is that a V8 or bigger could easily fit in it (at least one designed for a V8)
But it has the motor where Gmund #1 did! I know, I know, the 911 is Porsche and the diehards won't have it any other way. I was a 911 diehard for over 35 years, but I jumped ship when the Cayman appeared. However, I love all things Porsche, even the Cayenne (it makes them lots of money!). But, I'm getting off topic, so I'll shut up about the Cayman.

Interestingly, Nissan has not responded to Porsche's claim other than to say they need driving lessons, and something about us waitng til April '09. Wouldn't it be so easy to pull a GTR off the floor at random and invite all sorts of folks to come out and time it with Mr. Suzuki at the wheel?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
I have run against a few 997 GT3s in my GT-R-- some were slower, some faster around the track, but I pulled on all of them on the straights. I think the video shows better entry/exit speeds in the GT3, which givens the IMPRESSION of more acceleration on the straights. Track guys will know what I mean.

Actually, I think the only 997 GT3 to pass me was a guy on Hoosiers. Doesn't mean GT-R > 997GT3---- this is just my experience.
There is no doubt that the GT3 was hitting the turns harder and braking later, there is also no doubt that the GTR was much faster on the straights. What I am talking about is the GTR going around the curves. It's massive weight was evident in the luimbering motion and how it wanted to plow straight. It was not taking the turns near as easily as the GT3.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 PM
But it has the motor where Gmund #1 did! I know, I know, the 911 is Porsche and the diehards won't have it any other way. I was a 911 diehard for over 35 years, but I jumped ship when the Cayman appeared. However, I love all things Porsche, even the Cayenne (it makes them lots of money!). But, I'm getting off topic, so I'll shut up about the Cayman.

Interestingly, Nissan has not responded to Porsche's claim other than to say they need driving lessons, and something about us waitng til April '09. Wouldn't it be so easy to pull a GTR off the floor at random and invite all sorts of folks to come out and time it with Mr. Suzuki at the wheel?

Agreed, different day, different debate.

Nissan will never respond, but you can bet they'll be back at the ring claiming faster and faster times with the base model. By this time next year the base model will be low 7:20's wait and see.

Like I said, NO TELEMETRY will ever show up, and any honest group would know that's the vindication.

Neither will Nissan agree to having a third party show up with a showroom stock GT-R and they not touch it and run the time. Because it's not going to happen. Unless of course they build some ring spec GT-R's for Europe and have one of those show up.

Nissan = Fail.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 PM
If Nissan is really sure about the GTR, I say they should show up at the next 24 hours of Nurburgring with a few. Let's see what kind of laps they turn under some sort of scrutiny, and lets see how long the trannys last.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
If Nissan is really sure about the GTR, I say they should show up at the next 24 hours of Nurburgring with a few. Let's see what kind of laps they turn under some sort of scrutiny, and lets see how long the trannys last.

Well, I doubt Nissan will do that because:

Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by eclou
Well, I doubt Nissan will do that because:

Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
You are such a twit.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 PM
swamp2 is infamous around these parts
Hi guys, my first post here (obviously). Briefly, I am a long term Porsche fan, but have yet to own one. One of my favorite P cars is the Carrera GT, heavenly to watch in motion and to hear as well. I currently have an E92 M3. I appreciate the performance per dollar ratio compared to Porsche with this car.

I have lurked around here a lot especially on this very interesting thread. I very much enjoyed the skepticism and analysis of the GT-R. I have posted quite a bit on this topic over at m3post.com. In my recent work I used CarTest physics based automobile performance software along with a lot of regression analysis to make some predictions about the power of the 7:29 GT-R "specimen" in particular. I'll "force" you to head over there rather than blow the "surprise" of my conclusion right away. This effort was definitely inspired by the work here of HC and petevb - thanks guys. Have a look here if interested. I know quite a few of you will be. Warning: Long, technical and pretty nerdy!

Cheers guys.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
-The late Carl Sagan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.