997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vladcanada
Thats an awefull video and way to compare both times.

We are counting the onscreen clocks here genius. Doesnt matter the video quality, they were derived from the same vids you watched.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
This is awesome. Like Salem Witch Trial.

HC: MPSC tires cannot be ordered on USDM TTs--- they are not stock

Are there no reasonable people here who agree that it would be HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikley that Nissan would lie about the 7:38 lap in the owners manual?

The fact that a TT can match it with factory driver and Cup tires is not shocking news.

I agree that the 7:29 lap is surprising, but I think the "official" claim is 7:38.

Are we arguing about 7:29 or 7:38? I think 7:38 was on Potenzas and the faster lap was on Dunlaps (also a STOCK option).

In terms of HP versus straight away speeds. I have GPS data showing the surprising advantage of dual clutch on the straights (me in my cars at WOT on the straights-- no skill or lack thereof involved). Prob good for a 10-15% HP deficit (guess). Remember: ALWAYS on the power ALWAYS on the boost. makes a difference.

Let's just say the 7:29 was a ringer/cheater. That still leaves the fact that the GT-R on stock rubber is same speed as TT on Cups.

-Chris

Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 AM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
And another thing, all of the comparisons that has been done with the GTR vs 997TT, shows that the GTR is quicker in all aspects of the test that where conducted. But then again, the 485hp rating of the GTR is still questionable and highly suspicious base on the results of these comparisons that where done between the GTR, 997TT, and Z06.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaeS4
I don't necessarilly believe the 7:29 time with only 485hp and at 3800lbs regardless of AWD and with better tires, but i find it even harder to believe that it will only do 7:54 according to the test that Porsche conducted. In comparison, the new CTS-V with 550hp and 4200lbs did 7:55 and the e92 M3 with 414hp and 3600lbs did 8:05. That means it's only 0.1 seconds faster than the CTS-V and only 11 seconds faster than the M3. This is more questionable IMO. I think 7:40 to 7:45 is more believable.

I dont think there is any chance the TT is 16 seconds faster than the GT-R, I also think the TT is easily faster than it on MPSC. I think the 7:44 they originally quoted was the time for a real "stock" production vehicle.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:15 AM
gp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to behold
Well done HC

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Vlad, have you ever taken the time to think since Nissan fudged on the ring car, that the press cars woud have been fudged too? And therefore would go right down the drain with it?? Leaving it (and you guys) with virtually nothing.

Did it ever occur to any of you the desperation Nissan had for getting good press since it's a worldwide launch. And then to be caught here testing and only barely matching the TT, while knowing it was slower in a straight line, after all that time of parading around. So souping up the ring car would grab headlines and help sell more cars??? You guys underestimate the car makers.

Either way, car may be great, not saying it isnt. But I'm saying there is no way in hell it would run that straight at the same speed as those other cars, not the one that you have, or that people are buying from the dealer.
Riiiight, so the press cars were fudged too !

That's why the GT-R that spanked the 911 Turbo by 5 seconds at BW13 during R&T's comparo could only manage an 11.8/116mph quarter mile, when most customers have produced 11.7s in BOG STOCK GT-Rs. One owner has already run an 11.5/120mph in a bog stock GT-R. R&T also clearly stated that that GT-R was wearing stock Dunlop sp sport 600s.

Oh wait wait, I know. Nissan manufactured it's own magical version of the Dunlop tire which uses hologram technology to look like a treaded Dunlop while actually being a full slick tire.

This would also explain why another GT-R (also wearing the Dunlops) in C&D's hands managed to out lap a C6 Z06 by 2.6 seconds at VIR despite having a top speed 8mph slower down the straight (As would reflect it's worse p/w ratio).

Well done HC, you've done it again !!!

Those sneaky bastards at Nissan and their damned 3D hologram tires !

Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by chrisn
This is awesome. Like Salem Witch Trial.

HC: MPSC tires cannot be ordered on USDM TTs--- they are not stock

Are there no reasonable people here who agree that it would be HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikley that Nissan would lie about the 7:38 lap in the owners manual?

The fact that a TT can match it with factory driver and Cup tires is not shocking news.

I agree that the 7:29 lap is surprising, but I think the "official" claim is 7:38.

Are we arguing about 7:29 or 7:38? I think 7:38 was on Potenzas and the faster lap was on Dunlaps (also a STOCK option).

In terms of HP versus straight away speeds. I have GPS data showing the surprising advantage of dual clutch on the straights (me in my cars at WOT on the straights-- no skill or lack thereof involved). Prob good for a 10-15% HP deficit (guess). Remember: ALWAYS on the power ALWAYS on the boost. makes a difference.

Let's just say the 7:29 was a ringer/cheater. That still leaves the fact that the GT-R on stock rubber is same speed as TT on Cups.

-Chris
The GT-R with a former F1 and current test driver is faster than a Porsche Engineer, who's almost as fast as Porsches test driver in traffic. This can go in circles all day.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Heavy you still dont respond to 80% of my hard work. I'm very offended. Im trying to help you and you treat me like that?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
I just find it is funny how HC finds one article that supports his view and thinks it is the silver bullet that kills all other magazine reviews and test drives. ALL of the tests so far say GTR is faster around the track than TT.

Take the article HC posted for what it is. When Porsche engineer drove the TT and GTR, he was faster with TT. Is that so hard to believe? But it doesn't mean that GTR is now somehow "exposed" as being slow car. Because if that were the case, it would have been "exposed" long time ago from at least one magazine comparison.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:30 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
The GT-R with a former F1 and current test driver is faster than a Porsche Engineer, who's almost as fast as Porsches test driver in traffic. This can go in circles all day.
Since they went to trouble of bringing those cars to the track to "prove something," I assume they brought a dude who can drive the 911 as fast as it can be driven. Why would they do otherwise.

HC: you rely on implausible conspiracy theories and innuendo. Try reasonable assumptions and logic-- might work better for you.

Do you really think Nissan lied about the 7:38 lap? Do you really think this is all a conspiracy of ringers and liars.

Is my car a ringer?

-Chris

Originally Posted by gp900bj
Riiiight, so the press cars were fudged too !

That's why the GT-R that spanked the 911 Turbo by 5 seconds at BW13 during R&T's comparo could only manage an 11.8/116mph quarter mile, when most customers have produced 11.7s in BOG STOCK GT-Rs. One owner has already run an 11.5/120mph in a bog stock GT-R. R&T also clearly stated that that GT-R was wearing stock Dunlop sp sport 600s.

Oh wait wait, I know. Nissan manufactured it's own magical version of the Dunlop tire which uses hologram technology to look like a treaded Dunlop while actually being a full slick tire.

This would also explain why another GT-R (also wearing the Dunlops) in C&D's hands managed to out lap a C6 Z06 by 2.6 seconds at VIR despite having a top speed 8mph slower down the straight (As would reflect it's worse p/w ratio).

Well done HC, you've done it again !!!

Those sneaky bastards at Nissan and their damned 3D hologram tires !

ugh, more fanboys.......

STEVE MILLEN!!!!! Anyone who's researched that article would laugh at it. Millen is full of it, and has lots to gain from it considering his personal ties with Nissan. Has there been any other head to head same day test where the GT-R was 5 seconds ahead of the TT???

C&D tested lots of GT-R's as did Millen who had them hand delivered to his shop for promotional reasons. While he led the media testing with the cars. What a coinkydink.

Tony Swan, who magically appeared in the lightning lap was the ony new driver, coincidentally, he had a seasons worth of seat time in the GT-R in the one lap with a Japanese engineer popping out from the bushes tellig him how to drive the car. And how exactly did they find the GT-R was 3 seconds faster on the SP600's on the same track? Did they in fact test prior too? Or change tires the day of and give it more laps???

You'd have to be a moron not to see the whole thing was thought out carefully. Let's get someone with pro racing experience and a one lap to their name and put them in the Z06/GT3/Viper and see if the results are the same.

I said months ago that I bet the driver line up would change when the GT-R got tested and sure enough it happened, and who would it be other than the guy who's much better than the other scrub editor drivers, in the GT-R with no Viper, Z06 or GT2 or GT3 present.

Originally Posted by Akira
I just find it is funny how HC finds one article that supports his view and thinks it is the silver bullet that kills all other magazine reviews and test drives. ALL of the tests so far say GTR is faster around the track than TT.

Take the article HC posted for what it is. When Porsche engineer drove the TT and GTR, he was faster with TT. Is that so hard to believe? But it doesn't mean that GTR is now somehow "exposed" as being slow car. Because if that were the case, it would have been "exposed" long time ago from at least one magazine comparison.
Exactly

Old 10-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by chrisn
Since they went to trouble of bringing those cars to the track to "prove something," I assume they brought a dude who can drive the 911 as fast as it can be driven. Why would they do otherwise.

HC: you rely on implausible conspiracy theories and innuendo. Try reasonable assumptions and logic-- might work better for you.

Do you really think Nissan lied about the 7:38 lap? Do you really think this is all a conspiracy of ringers and liars.

Is my car a ringer?

-Chris
It wasnt their test driver but a good enough one to get a guage from, considering he was only 2 seconds off Rohrl and 1 off HvS. So your assumption is asinine considering other guys have driven at least one of those 911's faster. I'm sure he's better than the vast majority of the guys we read testing for the mags, is there any doubting that?

I think there is too much evidence that is revealing. How does Nissan get it's fastest lap out of 8 months of testing on a wet track? How does it keep up with 600 hp cars on the straight. The Zonda had no head wind, the Z06 that it was faster than had no headwind, and the ZR-1 would still be faster with a headwind. It accelerated the same speed as a stock Z06 does with no hinderances (wind, incline), which is still much faster than any stock GT-R.

I'm considering the possibilities, but I'm not the only one who cries foul. What would be Horsts motive for saying what he did??? Have you asked yourself that?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
you still ignored my posts. and videos.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Akira

Two articles actually

It's just confirmation. Horst drove the car to a 7:50 and although it wasnt a supertest lap consider he drove the Z06 to a 7:52 on the warmup lap, and he missed a few shifts. That's a 7:49 without the missed shifts, on the warmup....

The ony exposure that needs to come is that Nissan is cheating once again, not saying the GT-R is slow, it's not. But this woud leave the door open to what other strings they've pulled (which I've been pointing out) to see to it that their car wins all the tests, so they'd be null and void and Nissan would assume their rightful position as not trustworthy.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 AM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
Heavy,

You're correct, I miss-typed a number. Not 6:44.5 for the GTR under the first bridge, but 6:45.5. That puts the GTR's average speed 3 mph slower than the ZR1, which is certainly close enough to be suspicious...

I'm going to plug it into the sim to see what the power numbers look like, but it's going to take a while (tomorrow). It would be really nice to know what the headwind was. I'll probably assume they hit the first bridge at the same speed, which might be a stretch...

The aero numbers I used look really close even if the ZR1 does redline out. Even using the Z06's .31 /2.08 m^2 drag the ZR1 would find only ~3 mph top speed if correctly geared. But I'll account for that too...

Did I read somewhere that there were max speeds at the end of the straight taken? Those would be very telling...

This is the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3SrfxIQIzI

Even using their own clocks:

The GT-R crosses under the first bridge at ~6:45.2 or so (you can still see the sign from the in car vid @ 6:45.0 so not possible to be 6:44.9) and under the second at ~7:08.9, that's about 23.7x,

The ZR-1 crosses under the first bridge at ~6:42.00 and the second at 7:05.0x which is 23 seconds.

It's not a 1.5 second gap, even using the clocks on their individual screen. .5-.7 max.

The ZR-1's top speed isnt aero limited, it's rev limited, so your frontal area calculation is likely off by quite a bit. More than likely the frontal area is smaller than the GT-R. The Z06 is gear limited because 6th is useless, so there can be no frontal area calc from that either. And that will exhaggerate the wind affect on the ZR-1 as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.