997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:20 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaeS4
What! I've always stated in the begining that they're cheating on their hp rating, hence under-rating. I still don't believe that the GTR that you'll buy from the dealer is only making 485hp, maybe not as much as the one that they tested in The Ring, but still under-rated.

Case in point in bold.

You still have no acceleration data to suggest it's underrated. The ring GT-R only suggests cheating, not that the whole model line is underrated.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:34 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaeS4
This is one of my post stating that they cheated, from post #225. The difference is, you HC have always said that Nissan cheated using different tires and you don't believe the video. I've always said that the video is real they did 7:29 in the Ring but that particular GTR they used is under-rated and you insisted that no way the GTR can have 540hp.

Get over it already, you know that you and I are NOT saying the same thing.

It's not cheating if all the cars have the same hp. I dont care what they claimed as far as HP, BUT if the ring GT-R has more hp than what they are selling then the car is not a standard production GT-R and it is then cheating.

The acceleration suggests the ring GT-R is cheating. Dyno numbers dont mean crap if all these 540 minimum hp GT-R's can only trap 114-121 mph.

Your comprehension level is disturbing.

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-24-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
No need for insults, but if you want to go there then so be it.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Get over it already, you know that you and I are NOT saying the same thing.

It's not cheating if all the cars have the same hp. I dont care what they claimed as far as HP, BUT if the ring GT-R has more hp than what they are selling then the car is not a standard production GT-R and it is then cheating.

The acceleration suggests the ring GT-R is cheating. Dyno numbers dont mean crap if all these 540 minimum hp GT-R's can only trap 114-121 mph.

Your comprehension level is disturbing.
If they're under-rating regardless on any of the GTR, whether it's the one used in The Ring or the ones you buy from the dealer, IMO that's cheating. It doesn't matter to me if they're trapping 114 or 121, the fact is all of the dyno test suggest it's making more than 485hp. That is my only point.

You have the audacity to question my comprehension when you sound like you ride the short bus. I have already stated that they cheated in The Ring because the car that they ran is under-rated.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 PM
swamp2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chrisn
Sorry to be broken record, but Dual Clutch is a large enough variable that it cannot be ignored-- especially for a Turbo car. The Ring has lots and lots of corners and some very long straights. On Straights, GT-R can accelerate with 600HP+ cars. Search my posts in the thread for a chart showing GPS data where I prove this.

DC also helps in technical parts of the track where optimal gear selection needs to be balanced with time required to shift. Given the near-zero shifting penalty in GT-R (or PDK 911), you will be in the ideal gear more of the time with DC.

Take these small advantages and spread them across all the turns and straights in a very long track, and you start to understand that some of your "sigmas" are actually systematic bias in your model due to failure to account for the shift-time variable.

Power/weight is a reasonable simplified model for in-gear acceleration for cars with more or less the same drivetrain, but not when the "baseline" car model is a stick, and the "subject car" has DC and you're talking about lap times.
Good points, I agree with the bulk of what you are saying. But I do have a few disagreements and comments.

1. You have GPS data that proves A GT-R keep up with 600 hp cars. OK fine. Such claims always beg the question with the GT-R as to WHICH GT-R it was and how much power that particular one was putting down. So unless you know a lot more than you really could know about THAT car, you have not really proved much.

2. DCTs are great for the track and are even more important in a turbo charged engine that has lag issues. AFAIK the lag in the GT-R is minimal to none.

3. There are no "systematic biases" in my models, period. The regression modeling does have limitations, for sure and things I have mentioned previously (just a couple posts back) including DC units will all contribute to making a car perform better than the regression would predict. The point here is that with 3 different GT-Rs on three different tracks the cars performed so differently that they must have been in a different state of tune. Furthermore in all cases I don't believe the factors other than power to weight are large enough to explain the differences. In this data set there are already 2WD and AWD cars, there are DC cars, there are cars with near race rubber, there are ace drivers, and of course varying temperatures and track conditions. All of these variables help establish the natural/observed spread and thus the standard deviation. We all expect the GT-R to perform better than the mean regression prediction, after all it is a very advanced car and very capable. The key question is better by how much. Although I do not have the analysis to rigorously prove it, the other regression work I have done says that these variables are not enough to provide nearly 3.5 standard deviations of gap. As well there is a thread of consistency you can draw between the video, my analysis of the videos, the regression analysis, some reported 1/4 trap speeds and some dyno results. They all point to quite a significant under rating.

4. If you look at power to weight for drags or for rolling start drags the correlation becomes even stronger than it does for a course with turns. This is obvious. This is why in the simulation and comparison analysis vs. the ZR1 in the straight section of track taken at WOT was chosen. Here, as I mentioned in my post at m3post.com, this is nothing but a hp war (again technically a power to weight war).

Cheers.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 PM
swamp2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Out of curiosity, aren't the transmission and AWD systems engineered by German companies? The AWD is Bilstien, Tranny Borg/Warner?
Like the other poster said most DCTs use Borg Warner technology but build this into their own units. I think the main thin they get from Borg directly or from their IP/patents are the concentric dual clutches.

It would be interesting to know where the other systems you mention come from, I don't know.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Chrisn has data that supports the GT-R keeping up with 600 hp cars???

Let's see it. I surely hope this isnt the same data that would show F1crazydriver keeping up in the 996 TT on crap tires and base 996's on MPSC. That's not accurate data to use as criteria.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Sont worry about what I drive, I dont owe you any explanations. My history is here, if anyone, it's YOU that needs to prove something around here.

TROLL
As I have said before, you are the one making the accusations, you are the one who needs to prove these allegations.

You have never even driven the car, refuse to believe any of the published independent test reviews and figures, constantly spam car forums with accusations and fabrications about it, and I'm the troll?

What is your agenda?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:00 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
HC:

Here's my proof: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...7-post663.html (from this thread). I suppose it is technically "evidence" and not dispositive, but still better data than has been used above.

HC & Swampy: These are both my cars. You are right that I don't know for sure how much power each is making-- but isn't empirical dats from real world better than dyno anyway? Maybe I have a ringer GT-R and an unethical tuner on my 997TT. However, my main point it to highlight (with real live data from ME in MY CARS) that the Dual Clutch makes a big difference. Look at the chart.

Swampy: It's been a long time since I took my stats classes in undergrad, but my reference to "systematic bias" (maybe my vocab is wrong) was not meant as an insult, it was a technical comment that if your model if consistently wrong, you prob need to take a look at the variables you are tracking instead of explaining the observed world as being highly improbable (many sigmas away from mean). I think your model would be better if it included a "shift time" variable. I am highly highly confident (R^2 =99.99; would bet my life on it) that a predictive HP model would be better if it accounted for shift times. How could it possibly be otherwise? I do hear you, that you are pointing to differences among the GT-Rs, which maybe could be explained by weather or other factors. I think your are saying "7:29 car must be more powerful than other GT-Rs" and I am saying "It may be (who can know?), but don't forget the non-HP factors when talking ring times."

Swampy: No turbo has no lag. Turbo cars get extra bonus from dual clutch in that you get to WOT shift, which keeps turbos fully spun up. Agree that GT-R makes this benefit (at the margin) less than other cars, but it is still there.

Last edited by chrisn; 10-25-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Mitchubishievo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
I figured this would happen, but I did not think it would happen "Dat-sun".

This comment made my DAY!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 01:43 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Damn, I ran out of popcorn.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Nthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to behold
I'm suprised heavchev and so many others are still argueing about this lol! What a bunch of whiny little fanboy babies. I have yet to read one article that has depicted the 997tt faster than the gt-r. I have read TONS of excuses though lol

Last edited by Nthusiastt; 10-25-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:16 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Fresh batch of popcorn...

Old 10-25-2008, 03:47 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
I had pop corn but Alpine_997 eated it.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Trommel
As I have said before, you are the one making the accusations, you are the one who needs to prove these allegations.

You have never even driven the car, refuse to believe any of the published independent test reviews and figures, constantly spam car forums with accusations and fabrications about it, and I'm the troll?

What is your agenda?
I have made my statments, and they are very understandable. There is plenty of video evidence and logic that supports much of what I say. That is if you arent making excuses for why X person is drifting and calling it a timed lap, or why steve millen is great in one car and mediocre in another.

If you havent been able to tell that Nissan has been pulling strings then you just dont want to see it. All is needed in this case is a reasonable doubt, and we have several reasons to doubt Nissan. From their lying to customers through the media with the launch control, to getting called on their lap times. Combine that with their HISTORY OF LYING and it all makes sense that Nissan will do anything to get good press.

But like I said all that's been said before, and I dont answer to trolls. So you'll have to use the search feature to find anything more.

And yes you are on 6speed, which is a PORSCHE enthusiast site, arguing about the GT-R with no appearant interest in Porsche. THAT MAKES YOU A TROLL!!!

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-25-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
I had pop corn but Alpine_997 eated it.
Here in MiniD eating his popcorn watching the GT-R Debate.

I will make more...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.