997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
^Good points, but have you thought about how the "nannies" can aid in bringing out the maximum performance of a car that's not limited by driver skill? You can have the "best" driver drive the car to the maximum of his/her perceived abilities through the feedback he/she gets from the dynamics of the car, but what if the nannies enabled the car to be pushed a little harder and more efficiently where the mechanics and physics would normally "fail"? Yes common sense, logic, and physics would explain that there is no way a car of GT-R's specs. is faster than the 997t, but that's only if all variables are equal. In this case, not all variables are equal. Shift times, boost loss between shifts, gearing, available powerband after shift, efficiency of the engine/drivetrain, especially the AERO/DRAG, brakes, and tires is what seems to separate the two cars and is commonly overlooked in this debate. Nissan seemed to focus on these other aspects rather than JUST power/weight.

Last edited by Monaco; 10-26-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by OldGuy
This is the crux of the matter here, Its not true and it sinks the credibility of the claimer. Physics Doesnt lie!

What this proves IF the claimer has the cars he claims (and they are modded as claimed-997 TT to 610 and the GT-R stock) is that the Claimer doesnt know how to drive a 911. As most of us 911 owners know the 911 in any form doesnt suffer fools.
Its NOT an easy car to drive fast right away. Its not intuitive, like say a GT-R
This has never more evident as in this thread if the 610hp 911 is modded as claimed. He doesnt know how to drive the 911 at near its limits. In my first day at the track in my 996 GT3 I was getting passed by Honda S2000.

This thread also shows as many tests have shown that any dummy (not my So what I have gathered from all this is that Chrisn CAN drive his GT-R faster than his 997 911 Turbo. This proves his skill in 911 piloting is not as good as in Nanny cars.

Nissans Nannies are better than Porsches Nannies (albeit MOST GOOD 911 pilots dont WANT nannies, they take pride in their OWN skill not some embedded computers).

Big deal- Physics will not allow 4000 lb car to go around track faster than 3600lb car with 120 hp more, PERIOD. That just shows tester hasnt as much skill in driving cars that require a high level of experience in high HP cars with the engine in the back.
Hehe. Now I am "The Claimer" I like it. Kind of catchy.

I am happy that I have never resorted to hyperbole on ad hominem in this thread.

Couple of refresher points:

I am currently faster (straight line or around a track) in my currently-modified 997TT (700-EVT) on MSPC tires as compared to my stock GT-R on stock rubber. I have never said otherwise.

Your physics arguments are good if ALL OTHER VARIABLES ARE EQUAL. But they aren't. The GT-R is just better at a lot of stuff (maybe all of this falls under the "Nanny" heading for you): Dual clutch, turbo, turbo controller, AWD, VDC. Somehow, the sum of all this makes the car weirdly fast.

All these goodies magically make the GT-R better/faster than you'd think based on a spreadsheet. I have now shared gobs and gobs of qualitative and quantitative data to start to explain this. The Claimer is just trying to explain the world using facts and logic that, by the way, also fit with the observed reality reported by DOZENS of INDEPENDENT reports of the same conclusion: The GT-R is faster than anyone can explain by the numbers.

I dragged in some old data from my car in a prior state of modding (610HP) as as example of how the GT-R can outperform a car (in the hands of the same driver).

Making fun of me and my driving doesn't prove anything. BTW, guys, I'm not that slow out there.....

Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Mizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to behold
GTR can neva Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewzzzzzzzzzzzzz Losers!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_VzVr3eVPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOapch8s_uE

Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by airflite1
That picture was more annoying than he is!

Yes, it sorta gave me the heebee-geebees!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mizuno

Niiiiiiice!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !

Wait, to be fair those races did not appear to have any Nissan engineers around....

Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
RINGER!...the 997TT I mean.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Reminds me of that video where the GT2 walks that Z06 every which way but loose. The one in which that guy Chris is driving who is an auto journalist in Engalnd.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Can we please get the VIN to this car and put it on the DO NOT BUY LIST!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKcyJ...eature=related

and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqeed...eature=related

Funny that the mysterious missing LC doesn't appear to be missing...

Last edited by ALPINE_997; 10-26-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by eclou
Wait, to be fair those races did not appear to have any Nissan engineers around....

Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
I bet those videos were made by Porsche engineers. The guy in the GTR just needs some driving lessons.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
Sorry to be broken record, but Dual Clutch is a large enough variable that it cannot be ignored-- especially for a Turbo car. The Ring has lots and lots of corners and some very long straights. On Straights, GT-R can accelerate with 600HP+ cars. Search my posts in the thread for a chart showing GPS data where I prove this.

DC also helps in technical parts of the track where optimal gear selection needs to be balanced with time required to shift. Given the near-zero shifting penalty in GT-R (or PDK 911), you will be in the ideal gear more of the time with DC.

Take these small advantages and spread them across all the turns and straights in a very long track, and you start to understand that some of your "sigmas" are actually systematic bias in your model due to failure to account for the shift-time variable.

Power/weight is a reasonable simplified model for in-gear acceleration for cars with more or less the same drivetrain, but not when the "baseline" car model is a stick, and the "subject car" has DC and you're talking about lap times.
Chris: this is the theory I'm talking about. And your data with F1 crazy driver does not support this theory at all if you were in fact WOT in the GT-R.

But your latest graph shows the exact opposite, the 997 TT running away from the GT-R on the straights. So which one is it?

It does show where time is gained with the DSG on the shifts, but in the grand scheme of the lap with only 5 shifts that I counted it didnt make much difference. The TT still walked the GT-R pretty badly on the straights with the 996 TT pretty much dead heat in terms of acceleration.

And if I'm not mistaken you were faster in the TT even while ******* it through a certain part of the track.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

In the first vid the person who posted the video said the GT-R has stage 1 and the TT is stock. If that is true, then even more major pwnage. The passenger had to zoom in to keep the TT in the picture. Hard to tell if the TT had a passenger, but it wouldnt have made but 1.5 of the bus length the TT's pulled on it.

What's even funnier is how few comments there are with the GT-R getting raped so. On any of the ones where the GT-R wins there are 300 comments.

What's even funnier than that is the tag team on the GT-R after that. See how easy the SLR walks on the GT-R? Need we go back to the ring discussion with the Zonda, ACR, ZR-1, Z06 and GT-R?????

Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
^I'm surprised that you out of all people HC is even considering those videos as "proof" of anything, especially after you banter of mag tests with some data to work with. Not saying the GT-R is quicker at all, but I find these videos made by amateurs ..........well amateurish.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
^I'm surprised that you out of all people HC is even considering those videos as "proof" of anything, especially after you banter of mag tests with some data to work with. Not saying the GT-R is quicker at all, but I find these videos made by amateurs ..........well amateurish.

The only thing I'm trying to prove now is that Chris's postings on his GT-R vs his modded turbo are far from accurate. And he provided the proof for me. He completely dogged one part of the track and still went faster in the 997 TT.

Yet he didnt mention that in his post. I thought the opinion was supposed to be unbiased. And he was trying to PROVE that the GT-R could run with 600 hp cars and did just the opposite.

Just trying to seperate fact from fiction here and show the people here that just because a guy owns both doesnt make him neutral.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.