997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by airflite1
Sticky tires(short life)
Not really, certainly not like Sport Cups and similar.

aggressive alignment(still short tire life)
No - just over one degree negative camber I believe.

low gearing (poor fuel economy)
193 mph wouldn't suggest low gearing to me.

stiff suspension (ride comfort)
It's fairly hard in "R", but have you ever been in a GT3?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Z07 the Dunlops read the same as a Sport Cup and R888 on a durometer - the is empirical measurements not heresay. It explains why a "200" treadwear tire would last only 5k miles if the camber is only -1.0 or so

BTW if the GTR is such a great track car, why do only non-track people seem to be buying these cars? A quick scan of Naglock shows thread after thread of 1/4 mile and 0-60 runs.

Last edited by eclou; 10-27-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
The latest graph is in current car 997TT EVT-700 on 100 Octane. I think I was clear about that.

The fastest lap I have data on is my 2:05 in GT-R, but while in my 997TT, I was keeping in his modded 993TT-- and his GPS clocks him at 2:03-ish. So I am claiming 2:04 as best time on 997TT--- but I don't have the data.

The advantage of dual clutch is plain as day. Perhaps tonight I wil finish my Excel work and quantify it for you.

The graphs were meant to illustrate the dual clutch, not speed. My
"As fast as 600HP TT down the straight" claim is not really the ultimate claim, it's an aside--- all I need to prove is that the GT-R is faster than a STOCK TT and that the GT-R is capable of surprisingly fast Ring times.

-Chris
The POINT is that it doesnt matter which graph you use, the data clearly shows either your 600 hp TT had a big problem or you werent using all the power and therefore your theory is bogus, and much of all the data and opinions you have expressed are as well.

By your own admission you've added power to a car that you were scared to drive at the limit, so dont place limitations on the car because of YOUR fear.
You claim that it takes that much hp and Rcomps to beat the GT-R in the TT. You have an obvious man love for the GT-R, and it's clouding your judgment.

If you posted this as trying to be neutral it would have been received that way, but you obviously are nothing of the sort, leaving out pertinent information and just plain not making any sense.

You can backpedal back to the stock arguement, but this thread is obviously about a stock TT on MPSC according to Porsches testing being faster than the GT-R. This setup is still suggestive of a TT win even with the mags you continue to refer too. So there is something to be discussed here because the comparison has only been made by Porsche and the Mag results dont answer the querry.

Since the GT-R's tires are rcomps in disguise, putting them on equal tires is the best measure anyways. So while we are exposing Nissan for what they are in here, let's continue with the tires. Need I go through that again for you?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
997MK2 PDK ate it alive at just 380 ponies is just pure embarrasment for the Nissan

Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SRatha
997MK2 PDK ate it alive at just 380 ponies is just pure embarrasment for the Nissan
Didn't you read the internal memo? That PDK Porsche was a RINGER

In that comparison GT-R(DCT) and C2S(PDK) = MASH THROTTLE AND POINT!
What excuse will we hear now.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
It's clear that the Drivers Republic acceleration video is anomalous.

Check every other test result.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Trommel

As far as the alignment, on nagtoc, they say the car comes with the track alignment, but the dealers have changed, at owners request, to a street setting to improve tire wear.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:06 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
Z07 the Dunlops read the same as a Sport Cup and R888 on a durometer - the is empirical measurements not heresay. It explains why a "200" treadwear tire would last only 5k miles if the camber is only -1.0 or so

BTW if the GTR is such a great track car, why do only non-track people seem to be buying these cars? A quick scan of Naglock shows thread after thread of 1/4 mile and 0-60 runs.
Same goes with any other car, whether it be a 997tt, M3, or GTR. Most people that would buy this cars will probably never take their car to any Track at all let alone a Track course. And more importantly, Track courses are more difficult and more dangerous and are not as easy accesible as a 1/4 mile track, especially here in the East Coast. Of course there are people that would take their cars to any track, and this guy from this thread is one good example.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...vs-my-gtr.html

If you look at all of the M5board.com videos and videos in Streetfire.net, they're are mostly if not all straightline races. And many cars that are in M5board.com are track course cars such as Porsches, BMWs, and Ferraris.

Last edited by jaeS4; 10-27-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:34 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I think we need to give some credit where it is due. Heavychevy predicted that once the GTRs got on the road and started racing cars like the 997TT and Z06, the GTR owners were going to be in for a real let down, especially in rolling start races. Now that it has become obvious that LC is a ticking timebomb in the GTR, most of the encounters are going to be rolling start or a non launch controlled dead start. These videos we are seeing clearly show that HC saw the writing on the wall.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaeS4
Same goes with any other car, whether it be a 997tt, M3, or GTR. Most people that would buy this cars will probably never take their car to any Track at all let alone a Track course. And more importantly, Track courses are more difficult and more dangerous and are not as easy accesible as a 1/4 mile track, especially here in the East Coast. Of course there are people that would take their cars to any track, and this guy from this thread is one good example.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...vs-my-gtr.html

If you look at all of the M5board.com videos and videos in Streetfire.net, they're are mostly if not all straightline races. And many cars that are in M5board.com are track course cars such as Porsches, BMWs, and Ferraris.

I can promise you there are more TT's at the road course than at the drag strip. Most any PCA event will show you that Porsches are the anomaly to that rule. GT3's first, TT's and Caymans, boxsters, and previous generations will all be more readily viewable at the track than any drag strip or street race.

The same cannot be said for the GT-R. There will be more at the strip, in car shows, with mega body kits and 22's than anywhere on the track.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Trommel

BS.

Sport Cups suck in the wet, at least store bought ones. Porsche spec MPSC are not as fast as the main stream ones because Porsche had them designed for more wet weather compatibility. They have 30% more grooves which equals loss of traction and handling capability compared to the normal MPSC.

In comes the RE070's and Sp600's which are the only non R-compound street tire that can support the cornering forces of a 4000 lb car with hot tire pressures of 29-32 PSI. Any normal street tire would roll and buckle because the sidewalls are too soft. Not even other runflats can run at those pressures effectively with that much weight on them.

1.5* of negative camber will not kill a set of street tires in 5k miles either. And that rating is for the street not the track which would cut that to a few hundred miles. For proof, look at the One Lap of America where they cover over 7500 miles total on one set of tires with aggressive alignments for the track.

Now to the durometer testing where even cold RE070's have been found as soft as NT-01's and R888's, which are easily on par with the normal MPSC and you can see how easily the playing field has been evened with the R-comp. In fact the GT-R tires can run lower pressures than anything other than full slicks. Even semi slicks run hot temps in the mid 30's to 40 psi or so on heavier cars. And the tire temps I got for the GT-R are from a Nissan test driver in response to being asked the question of the best temps.

When we start seeing tests on the same kind of tires, a lot will come to light, and that time is coming.

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-27-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I can promise you there are more TT's at the road course than at the drag strip. Most any PCA event will show you that Porsches are the anomaly to that rule. GT3's first, TT's and Caymans, boxsters, and previous generations will all be more readily viewable at the track than any drag strip or street race.

The same cannot be said for the GT-R. There will be more at the strip, in car shows, with mega body kits and 22's than anywhere on the track.
Uhhh, there's really not much GTR's around.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
They are both slow and will be taken out by a Supra on the streets! haha

LOL, don't take me seriously.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:35 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Damn Strada having a bad day? I think 95% is a little over the top, in my opinion most people say it seems to be a great car for the money, but the way they handled the marketing sucks unless your 14. __ The only other advantage I see for the GTR is the transmission, put in a car in its price range. If it proves to be weak then it could be its downfall. To me a good track car would be really light, not something 4000lbs. I'll take my car to the track just for fun, but if I was going to spend much time there I'd definately look for something much lighter. Now I'm rambling.
Not a bad day at all, kind of a light one spent with my girl who is visiting. Back to the grind tomorrow

95% was an exaggeration for certain, but also a reference to members in this thread only. I'd say 99% of P-car owners don't care about this ridiculous debate one way or another aside from curiosity.
I absolutely agree about marketing, and the way warranty was handled is appalling. No questions there. LC should be covered or removed even if it is abuse...IMO.
Finally I think the GTR is showing how even a 4000lb fat *** can actually track without much issue. I'm heading out to Vegas mid-Nov and will be tracking quite a few cars including a GTR, have driven one for a while but haven't tracked it yet. Looking forward to it. From what I have heard from my friend who owns it, he isn't complaining...

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Wow, and I thought we were past all that. And you go right back to showing your "troll" colors. Again roid raging in here like that's going to do something.

If you havent noticed we are actually discussing real data from real track events.

So since you admittedly have no experience in the matter. And obviously have nothing to offer in context of the current debate.
Hardly a roid rage...I didn't tell you nor anyone to shut up or anything of that nature. I haven't even posted in the last 30 or so pages. Just because I post something against you doesn't mean I'm roid raging. Look at my words, try to understand them. Any perceived "anger" is on your part.I'm not e-yelling or nothing...just not agreeing with SOME things you said/did.

Just because I point out the proven futility of this thread and the immaturity of a lot of the members calling each other fanboys and resorting to personal insults instead of debate isn't a roid rage, just the truth. Sorry.

This thread has gone on the same way for the last 50 pages as the first 30. What has really been gained? People keep coming with the same ol' thing and no one is convinced one way or another.

READ FROM HERE if you want my issue with you HC.

My problem with your post was that you actually referred to an amateur race between a TT and a GTR on youtube as evidence that the GTR is slow after discrediting many other videos with equal if not more validity just because it was pro-TT and not GTR. If you are going to use your experience as the basis for argument, let this petty crap go. Just looking for consistency.

Finally, Chris is a member who has put himself out there and posted data and you have incited mob mentality against a fellow TT owner just because he can appreciate the GTR and believes in it's capability. He is one member that owns both and has provided and real track data and yet despite anything he says you try your hardest to discredit everything he posts. You have to rip apart the ONE guy with something real to post as if it's not valid at all and the bandwagon follows. I know you are discussing real data, it's the best thing that has come in this thread in nearly 40 pages. I'm just saying from the perspective of a person who was checking in every now and then, I don't know why Chris would bother discussing with you...

Consider this my perennial BS check because I can/had time. Consider it out of boredom while my girl was napping, consider it out of entertainment to once again bring back perspective on how stupid this is. Don't be insulted...just having fun. No roids here. As for troll? I don't know where anything was pro-GTR there but that's your usual response to me whenever I disagree with you about anything. Missed ya big guy

Last edited by stradaONE8; 10-27-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Hardly a roid rage...I didn't tell you nor anyone to shut up or anything of that nature. I haven't even posted in the last 30 or so pages. Just because I post something against you doesn't mean I'm roid raging. Look at my words, try to understand them. Any perceived "anger" is on your part.I'm not e-yelling or nothing...just not agreeing with SOME things you said/did.

Just because I point out the proven futility of this thread and the immaturity of a lot of the members calling each other fanboys and resorting to personal insults instead of debate isn't a roid rage, just the truth. Sorry.

This thread has gone on the same way for the last 50 pages as the first 30. What has really been gained? People keep coming with the same ol' thing and no one is convinced one way or another.

Simply put the majority of your posts are complaining about what other people are posting. And I'm the one "*****ing"????

You need a reality check. And like I keep telling you over and over again, this is a Porsche forum, so any common sense would tell you that you'd find the kinds of posts you see here, yet you continue to complain and attack the Porsche people in this thread, and try to act like you say something relevant to the fanboy plague when you really dont.

I'm done with you and your crosseyed BS.

My problem with your post was that you actually referred to an amateur race between a TT and a GTR on youtube as evidence that the GTR is slow after discrediting many other videos with equal if not more validity just because it was pro-TT and not GTR. If you are going to use your experience as the basis for argument, let this petty crap go. Just looking for consistency.

Finally, Chris is a member who has put himself out there and posted data and you have incited mob mentality against a fellow TT owner just because he can appreciate the GTR and believes in it's capability. He is one member that owns both and has provided and real track data and yet despite anything he says you try your hardest to discredit everything he posts. You have to rip apart the ONE guy with something real to post as if it's not valid at all and the bandwagon follows. I know you are discussing real data, it's the best thing that has come in this thread in nearly 40 pages. I'm just saying from the perspective of a person who was checking in every now and then, I don't know why Chris would bother discussing with you...

Consider this my perennial BS check because I can/had time. Consider it out of boredom while my girl was napping, consider it out of entertainment to once again bring back perspective on how stupid this is. Don't be insulted...just having fun. No roids here. As for troll? I don't know where anything was pro-GTR there but that's your usual response to me whenever I disagree with you about anything. Missed ya big guy
Where did I say anything was slow? And here I go giving you credit for having some sense.

And you keep trying to tell me to let it go, why? Because it's offensive to your GT-R to see data and real car discussions and details which you have no clue about? Man get outta here.

I've made my points clear about Chris's posts, I dont need to reiterate them for lack of comprehension.

You disagree with anyone here who is pro Porsche, which is what I keep trying to tell you dufus. THAT MAKES YOU A TROLL!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.