997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:23 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
I acknowledge that the GT-R is far uglier from an objective perspective.
How do you make it uglier? Buy a bad body kit...

Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
What an honor to even be compared to such an over-the-top car. Perhaps the V-Spec will be competitve wth lap times, but I doubt (given economy, state of auto indistry and enery/environmental concerns) the ZR1 will be topped from a shear brutality perspective for 25 years.

For some reason, I still have an anti-Vette bias from a looks/stigma perspective. I acknowledge that the GT-R is far uglier from an objective perspective.
Yes, it is absolutely amazing for a 4 seater, 480hp, 3800lb car w/ steel brakes to be compared with a super Vette with an extra 150hp, 500lbs less weight, and brakes off an Enzo, no doubt about it. I still maintain that Nissan did an amazing job with the GTR to allow it to be in it's company (save for the failing trannies).

I really hope Nissan does their homework with the Vspec, because if done properly, it could be something special like the GTR was for the general momentum for the motoring world. It definitely has it's work cut out to dethrone the ZR1 for sure.
Lets hope the same fiasco doesn't happen with the Vspec as it did with the regular model in terms of unbiased/untampered performance leading to 100pg threads on Porsche boards...

I don't have an anti-Vette bias anymore. I have had an odd love affair with the C6 series. I don't know why, but aesthetically they are pleasing, but also agressive, and now the inside is decent as well.
The GTR looks far better in person than in pictures, but still doesn't qualify as a timeless design/looker for me. R34 is more my cup of tea from all angles.

That being said, I never liked Vettes more than an average guy before, but since I had time in a C6 Z06, it really changed my perspective on quality you can expect from a Vette for the better.

Originally Posted by bbywu
I don't play simulated racing games. I prefer the real thing.
Ok, so what's your best REAL WORLD time on the Ring?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
How do you make it uglier? Buy a bad body kit...

Ouch. Didn't know you could glue rice on top of rice.

I wish they sold a GT-R "body kit" that replaces the production panels with the "camo" ones from testing. I prefer the smoother lines of the G35/37.

The way I rationalize driving around in such an ugly car is that the looks are like a label that signals that the contents are pretty special. If the car didn't beat a stock 997TT (note to HC: Stock=Stock, no asterisks) in every traditional performance measurement (according to the overwhelming consensus view), I would find it harder to deal with the ugliness...

Old 11-01-2008, 12:07 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
I don't play simulated racing games. I prefer the real thing.
D.E.'s aren't racing.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:12 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
LOL I am messing with ya. Taking more pictures? Clean my car up would ya..

I am posting pics up to Dion's server soon. I will send you link to the pictures. Send me some would ya.
Of what? Are you coming to our race at Road Atlanta in March? Yes you are so we'll take some then. I just got back from the shop and took pictures.

Here's one I took along time ago at my house..

Old 11-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Here's another one to OT this thread.

DHinkle on his way to Petit Le Mans to meet up with TEH APLINE 997 ZOMG

Old 11-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dblock06
its pathetic that the 997tt is only 20k more than the GT-R now
Even if it were only $20k more, that would still be $20k wasted on a worse car (coming from someone who has actually tried both).

Old 11-01-2008, 12:40 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
GTR's will be in the 40's by the end of next spring. It is the dawning of the disposable sports car.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure what's happening in the States, but used prices of everything are falling through the floor in the UK. People can't give away 996s and Cayennes at the moment.

Current financial problems aside, I think the limited numbers of official GT-Rs in the UK should count in their favour as far as resale value is concerned. We shall see.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Yet the GTR was slaughtered in this test.........
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlGMX8G3B4

Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
D.E.'s aren't racing.
they can be if you make them

Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
I'm not sure what's happening in the States, but used prices of everything are falling through the floor in the UK. People can't give away 996s and Cayennes at the moment.

Current financial problems aside, I think the limited numbers of official GT-Rs in the UK should count in their favour as far as resale value is concerned. We shall see.

do all these rare GTR's come with spare trannies and brakes

I hear that popping the hood open not in the presense of an official nissan mechanic voids the warranty

Old 11-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Mizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to beholdMizuno is a splendid one to behold
What's even more pathetic is, you could pick up a GTR and waste that extra $20k on a spare tranny right after you experience your first 0 - 60 in 3.3s

Old 11-01-2008, 04:06 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Ouch. Didn't know you could glue rice on top of rice.
Chris, that's GOT to be the quote of the entire thread....

Old 11-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
D.E.'s aren't racing.
Who said anything about D.E.

Last edited by bbywu; 11-01-2008 at 04:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.