997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
I'm not taking a "stab at the GTR Fanclub", and I haven't quoted from magazines. My point is that I can break any car if I choose to, if I treat it badly - Veyron, 997, GT-R, ZR1, whatever. Give me half an hour, and I'll give you back a broken car.

I wouldn't because I'm not an idiot. An idiot is someone who buys a new $80k 500 bhp AWD car and goes out and uses the launch control dozens of times, sometimes even before the manufacturer's break in period is complete, and then whines when something breaks.

I'm certainly not a "fanboy" either - I'm just questioning why there is so much bad feeling toward a car which in my experience is really very, very good.

There has been no negative advertising or comparisons by Nissan with competitors, just the observation that they benchmarked against a 997 Turbo in development. So why all the doubters? Why the comments when it loses a drag race against much more powerful, lighter cars? Why all the fuss when someone hears of a warranty issue? Seems strange to me.

I like cars, not brands.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
If you truly beleive the GT-R can go toe to toe with a CGT
Unlikely.

or even a legit driver in a GT3
Unquestionably.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:46 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Another lull. Somebody say something, I need my fix for today!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:05 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I'll even say something out of character for myself: I don't think that the GTR is all that bad looking, it even looks kinda hot in black!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:46 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCCayman
I'll even say something out of character for myself: I don't think that the GTR is all that bad looking, it even looks kinda hot in black!
At first you think it is not an attractive car, then a aftermarket tuner whacks it with an ugly stick...

Last edited by bbywu; 11-04-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, I believe that is a little too much carbon fiber in the wrong place.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
I'll say something.

The balance/AWD on the GT-R seems better than 997TT in one real-world test. We got our first rain here in SF last week. When tooling up a local twisty road, there is a steep uphill switch-back that also feels a bit off camber (wants to throw you into other lane as you crest the middle of turn). Pretty dangerous to take >15-20MPH in the wet.

So anyway, I took it >25 MPH in the wet. In the TT, the back end rotates around and the PSM goes crazy. The AWD does help much for some reason-- I am guessing not enough weight on front to get power down and pull you around.

In the GT-R, you can be pretty aggressive with the throttle and you just get a little 4-wheel drift and the front wheels pull you around nicely. If VDC was working for me, I didn't notice. Certainly didn't complain about a little sliding.

I was't going for any crazy drift driving, just having fun.

GT-R is just so damn easy to drive.

HC may chime in and say a real man would learn to drive the 911 better in such conditions, even if it means going PSM-off and risking a trip to body shop. No thanks.

-Chris

Last edited by chrisn; 11-04-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:07 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bbywu
At first you think it is not an attractive car, then a aftermarket tuner whacks it with an ugly stick...

OMG. Is that for real? Who buys this stuff?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
Not to say that tuner's can't butcher the 911, but SEMA brings out the best...and worst...of aftermarket body kits.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 PM
''
\
Kind of looks like it has Elvis Pressley sideburns.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'll say something.

The balance/AWD on the GT-R seems better than 997TT in one real-world test. We got our first rain here in SF last week. When tooling up a local twisty road, there is a steep uphill switch-back that also feels a bit off camber (wants to throw you into other lane as you crest the middle of turn). Pretty dangerous to take >15-20MPH in the wet.

So anyway, I took it >25 MPH in the wet. In the TT, the back end rotates around and the PSM goes crazy. The AWD does help much for some reason-- I am guessing not enough weight on front to get power down and pull you around.

In the GT-R, you can be pretty aggressive with the throttle and you just get a little 4-wheel drift and the front wheels pull you around nicely. If VDC was working for me, I didn't notice. Certainly didn't complain about a little sliding.

I was't going for any crazy drift driving, just having fun.

GT-R is just so damn easy to drive.

HC may chime in and say a real man would learn to drive the 911 better in such conditions, even if it means going PSM-off and risking a trip to body shop. No thanks.

-Chris

Depends on how your car is setup, and if I'm not mistaken, you have MPSC on your car so, so likely your "balance" problems are more due to MPSC not being very good in the rain.

I'm also assuming these arent Porsche spec MPSC which are REALLY bad on wet roads especially when they havent been driven and cornered hard enogh prior to to get heat in them and soften them up.

Did you have MPSC on the TT? Not that it matters much since you have a 700 hp TT, which in the rain is going to blaze through any set of tires. But you certainly arent using the information wisely in presenting a balance statement.

FWIW, I dont turn PSM off on wet STREETS either, especially on MPSC, but I will on wet track.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Depends on how your car is setup, and if I'm not mistaken, you have MPSC on your car so, so likely your "balance" problems are more due to MPSC not being very good in the rain.

I'm also assuming these arent Porsche spec MPSC which are REALLY bad on wet roads especially when they havent been driven and cornered hard enogh prior to to get heat in them and soften them up.

Did you have MPSC on the TT? Not that it matters much since you have a 700 hp TT, which in the rain is going to blaze through any set of tires. But you certainly arent using the information wisely in presenting a balance statement.

FWIW, I dont turn PSM off on wet STREETS either, especially on MPSC, but I will on wet track.
I run PS2s on the street-- wouldn't dream of running MSPCs in the rain. Once I had to drive home from track with them on in hard rain and they were scary.

Also, not sure why 700HP matters. I am not flooring it.

At any rate, this thread is now moot. A few minutes ago some guys showed up at my house and towed away my TT and my GT-R. Said they were redistributing them to some "working class" families. When I protested that they can't just confiscate my hard earned private property, they just started chanting "Yes we can! Yes we can!" Bizarre.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Not sure why 700 hp matters when you can put down almost all the power in the GT-R and are on street tires?

Ok, man.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 PM
That's politics for you. Maybe Joe the Plumber will get the GTR. Damn, someone just dropped a 997TT off in front of my house!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
here is some very interesting info from a highly accomplished N-ring driver who tested the GTR himself. He has some info on the best GTR lap by Walter Rohrl and the "record setting" GTR.

Its funny how fast information goes around the world! I drove the Nissan GTR yesterday for KW with the KW clubsport and with the original suspension. All other parts were stock and the weight was original! Due to the fact, that there where some passing manouvers and 2 small mistakes in my line, the theoretical best time, calculated from my best sectors (with data logger), was a 7.46. ( a real lap was 7,49)
So I think, it is not possible, to go faster, when W.Röhrl and Chr.Menzel also where not able to go under 7.45!
The secret source, who watched the test of the 3 cars is not so secret: He owns a guest house in Nürbrug and was there at the test and watched everything. I spoke to him 2 days ago and it was true that tha car was far away from stock, that means power, sound, tyres, exhaust, weight!
But anyway the Nissan GTR is fast also in stock outfit and fun to drive. Only when acclerating it would need more power to the rear, to kill the understeer. Under braking conditions it steers very good into corners! Sometimes to much, but then it is even more fun!
If You want, You can post that in the internet! Source: Wolf!
Danke und Viele Grüße

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.