997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Interesting, but it's just more hearsay. Was it the 7:29 car? Was it a Spec V mule? He's obviously a talented guy being able to tell how much something weighs and how much power it has watching from the bar of his guesthouse. The car in the 7:29 video sounds exactly like the ones I have driven (with standard exhausts) as far as I can tell.

Someone is also saying that the car had cats removed, no interior and was running 110 octane fuel, but they couldn't see the tyres. Strange they were able to see the exhaust underneath but not the tyres. I assume Nissan Photoshopped the full interior back in to the 7:29 video, and very impressive being able to measure the octane of the fuel without testing it ...

This, like pretty much every other pointless internet argument, is never going to be resolved.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
here is some very interesting info from a highly accomplished N-ring driver who tested the GTR himself. He has some info on the best GTR lap by Walter Rohrl and the "record setting" GTR.

Do you have the link?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:29 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Interesting, but it's just more hearsay. Was it the 7:29 car? Was it a Spec V mule? He's obviously a talented guy being able to tell how much something weighs and how much power it has watching from the bar of his guesthouse. The car in the 7:29 video sounds exactly like the ones I have driven (with standard exhausts) as far as I can tell.

Someone is also saying that the car had cats removed, no interior and was running 110 octane fuel, but they couldn't see the tyres. Strange they were able to see the exhaust underneath but not the tyres. I assume Nissan Photoshopped the full interior back in to the 7:29 video, and very impressive being able to measure the octane of the fuel without testing it ...

This, like pretty much every other pointless internet argument, is never going to be resolved.

More people driving, more people FAR FAR from Nissan's times. All hearsay huh?

So determined to troll the Porsche forums to defend the GT-R. I'm leaning back towards you be Z07 reincarnated. He's the only person with that kind of determination. But I'm sure you'll reveal yourself at some point when you get mad.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Banned
I have no idea who Z07 is, but there is some irony in you calling me a troll.

You haven't driven a GT-R, yet you're the expert; you haven't been within 1,000 miles of the 'Ring, yet you're the expert.

Facts, not hearsay.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:55 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
So it's a fact that I havent been within 1000 miles of the ring and am an expert??

So busy trolling you arent even reading your own posts. Z07 says the same crap everytime he rejoins. He doesnt know who the previous Z07 was. Yet your post counted jumped up as soon as the other got banned.

You're so predictable it's pathetic.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by heavychevy
If only you could understand irony.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:31 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Not sure why 700 hp matters when you can put down almost all the power in the GT-R and are on street tires?

Ok, man.
It's an off camber hairpin turn. I can break traction in my 100HP Civic Hybrid.

I just drove it today in the dry in the 997. Even at moderate speeds, if you get on the gas (NOT flooring it), PSM goes crazy and you can hear/feel the center diff trying to shift the power around, but it just bogs. GT-R somehow manages to put more power down and comes around strong.

My comment was on the superiority of the GT-R's VDC and AWD systems (nannies)-- not making any judgment about the ultimate performance of the cars on that particular turn. GT-R VDC systems seem even less intrusive than PSM Sport mode. I think part of this is due to better mechanical grip from AWD system and part maybe to it just being more "relaxed."

On track, neither system is that intrusive, but PSM seems to freak out more about slides that might lead to back end coming around.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:32 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
So it's a fact that I havent been within 1000 miles of the ring and am an expert??

So busy trolling you arent even reading your own posts. Z07 says the same crap everytime he rejoins. He doesnt know who the previous Z07 was. Yet your post counted jumped up as soon as the other got banned.

I am Z07, and I live at the 'Ring.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Isn't there a track here in the US they call the American equivalent of the ring? I think I read about it in Car & Driver a while back. If so, that might be a good place for a shootout.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM
There is no such thing here. At least not an equivalent. There is MMP (miller motorsports park) at 4.5 miles and VIR grand at 4.2 I think.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Thay may have been talking about a scenic route with lots of twisties and hills. Actually, I think that was it. They did a comparison of several sports cars on it, but it wasn't an actual race track. I'll try to find the article. Of course, if that is the case, it wouldn't be a good idea to race on it.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by chrisn
It's an off camber hairpin turn. I can break traction in my 100HP Civic Hybrid.

I just drove it today in the dry in the 997. Even at moderate speeds, if you get on the gas (NOT flooring it), PSM goes crazy and you can hear/feel the center diff trying to shift the power around, but it just bogs. GT-R somehow manages to put more power down and comes around strong.

My comment was on the superiority of the GT-R's VDC and AWD systems (nannies)-- not making any judgment about the ultimate performance of the cars on that particular turn. GT-R VDC systems seem even less intrusive than PSM Sport mode. I think part of this is due to better mechanical grip from AWD system and part maybe to it just being more "relaxed."

On track, neither system is that intrusive, but PSM seems to freak out more about slides that might lead to back end coming around.

You're going to have to forgive me if I'm not convinced. There are several holes in your testing procedures as usual, but I'm not going to get into that again. You may get some credit from the never-tracked, know it all fanboys, but the track guys here (and elsewhere) see right through it.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Thay may have been talking about a scenic route with lots of twisties and hills. Actually, I think that was it. They did a comparison of several sports cars on it, but it wasn't an actual race track. I'll try to find the article. Of course, if that is the case, it wouldn't be a good idea to race on it.

Oh ok, I think you may be talking about the silverstate classic, that is a highway that they run a closed stretch of road. It's pretty intense from the vids I've seen. Not sure how long it is though.

Edit: Here it is.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/history.htm

It's 90 miles, more open road than really like a track, but looks like fun though.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:56 PM
You're going to have to forgive me if I'm not convinced. There are several holes in your testing procedures as usual, but I'm not going to get into that again. You may get some credit from the never-tracked, know it all fanboys, but the track guys here (and elsewhere) see right through it.
Whatever.

I'm just calmly offering my actual personally-observed data, and my interpretations (you might try doing the same). Contrast that with your style. It's the difference between constructive conversation and hectoring.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Oh ok, I think you may be talking about the silverstate classic, that is a highway that they run a closed stretch of road. It's pretty intense from the vids I've seen. Not sure how long it is though.

Edit: Here it is.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/history.htm

It's 90 miles, more open road than really like a track, but looks like fun though.
I found the article, from C&D, November, 2006. You were correct, HC, they chose to do the comparison of several top rank sports cars on VIR. They made the case that VIR is very similar to the 'ring, only 2/3 shorter. Your knowledge of auto racing is impressive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.