997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
blackbeast99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
LOL I am messing with ya. Taking more pictures? Clean my car up would ya..

I am posting pics up to Dion's server soon. I will send you link to the pictures. Send me some would ya.
and we wait...

Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCCayman
I found the article, from C&D, November, 2006. You were correct, HC, they chose to do the comparison of several top rank sports cars on VIR. They made the case that VIR is very similar to the 'ring, only 2/3 shorter. Your knowledge of auto racing is impressive.
Well, that actually came during my progression from bling - drag racing - a little track experience and reading the rest in mags - actually studying and understanding track times.

I also remembered reading somewhere that when MMP was built they wanted the title of longest track in the country, which it still is I beleive and they aimed to beat VIR grand.

I want to do an extra long track at some point. MMP looks like a ton of fun.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
94 pages and counting! Come on people.....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-new-gtr.html

hope this helps

Old 11-07-2008, 04:07 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
We are so close now, there is no way it wont get to 100.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I'll keep posting anything to get it there if I have to! I doubt I will have to, though.

The Turbo, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I think it is well established now that the GTR launch control was a publicity stunt to claim top honors in the the 0 to 60 sprint. We know that if used a few times the owner of the GTR will never be able to do 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds again...unless he or she is willing to fork over around 20 grand for a new tranny. What gets me is that all the mags made such a big deal over the GTR LC, and now that we know it was a sham, the mags are now very tight lipped about it. They have said nothing about the LC issue. What gives? Do they not read NAGTROC? Are they ashamed to admit they were duped? Here's another thing. We know that more than just a few GTR's have blown trannys. The GTR proponents claim that the folks who did wreck trannys did so because they abused the Lauch Control. I'm sorry, but it is my opinion that most folks who can fork over 90 grand for a car are not in the idiot league. They are the folks who will pamper their 90 thousand dollar car and read their owners manual. Most car enthusiasts are well aware that LC is hard on a drive train. I just don't buy it that the GTR owners with busted trannys are abusing their cars.

Last edited by USCCayman; 11-07-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Listen to Garage 419's opinion of Launch Control in the GTR:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qqyEjMTTito&feature=user

Starts at around 5:57 into the video.
I must say I agree with them.

"It's like including a bottle of nitrous with the car but telling the owner you void the warranty if you open it."

Old 11-07-2008, 08:53 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Gunning for 100 Pages

Originally Posted by USCCayman
I think it is well established now that the GTR lauch control was a publicity stunt to claim top honors in the the 0 to 60 sprint. We know that if used a few times the owner of the GTR will never be able to do 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds again...unless he or she is willing to fork over around 20 grand for a new tranny. What gets me is that all the mags made such a big deal over the GTR LC, and now that we know it was a sham, the mags are now very tight lipped about it. They have said nothing about the LC issue. What gives? Do they not read NAGTROC? Are they ashamed to admit they were duped? Here's another thing. We know that more than just a few GTR's have blown trannys. The GTR proponents claim that the folks who did wreck trannys did so because they abused the Lauch Control. I'm sorry, but it is my opinion that most folks who can fork over 90 grand for a car are not in the idiot league. They are the folks who will pamper their 90 thousand dollar car and read their owners manual. Most car enthusiasts are well aware that LC is hard on a drive train. I just don't buy it that the GTR owners with busted trannys are abusing their cars.
Sham? Come on.

Nissan Rep told me no failures without "many more than 30" LCs. Is that abuse? I don't know, but has to be getting close.

Consider any other high HP manual tranny car. Figure out the absolute fastest way to launch (usually a high RPM clutch drop). Add AWD so drive train doesn't get a break from wheel spin. Repeat 30-50 times. I don't think you'll have a happy car. If the dealer is there watching and something breaks, do you think your warranty will cover?

USC: I haven't heard of any failures from normal street/track use. Have you?

Do I wish the tranny were bullet proof? Of course. Am I a bit worried/pissed/paranoid about the way Nissan is handling the (small number) of cases?

Yes, of course I am. But, in general, I am not too concerned because I don't think it's a widespread issue, and I don't plan on doing many launches.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Bottom line is, a major selling point for this car is how quick it gets to 60mph, but to do that you must void the warranty. Even Garage 419 gets it. It was an advertising sham. Otherwise, it's a 4 second 0-60 car, and one second slower in the quarter. Again, many mags were amazed at how fast it accelerated, but the speed is just a fantasy. Nissan was smart. It got the mags to do their false advertising and the orders roll in. The mags led us to believe that "normal' performance is a 3.3 second 0-60. But, it is more like 4 seconds. We were led to believe it was a wondercar in acceleration by every mag that tested it. The car can't live up to it. And, most likely, the GTR you buy off the showroom floor can't live up to a 7:29 lap at the 'ring. Von Saurma questioned it. The Porsche engineer questioned it. I suppose we will find out in due time.

Last edited by USCCayman; 11-08-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 PM
I agree that the LC is a sham. Just the dynamics of having it, making sure everyone knows you have it, and then disallowing it, is very deceitful. This cars advertised acceleration figures are a hoax. Once again, Nissan using the gullible media to promote falsehoods.

The best part is that they keep on lying and being sneaky despite their already questionable history baffles me. But this time it's going to bite them in the behind. They will be getting sued, if not now, within the next year.

The thing about most class action suits when it comes to cars is that the cost of the repair isnt worth the paying lawyer fees, but 20k gives you a lot of room to fight.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 PM
You gotta give Nissan credit for one thing. They got the media to do the deceitful advertising for them. When the unsuspecting buyer goes to pick up his/her new car, then Nissan tells them about the "Catch 22" of launch control. I wonder if this is their way out of a lawsuit? All Nissan has to say is, "The magazines played up the use of lauch control for blazing acceleration. They failed to mention it should be used only for getting out of the mud. That is not our fault. When the customer comes to pick up the car, we explain this to them." That would be something if this is Nissan's way out.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
hey what up guys.. few things first..

1. Mizuno.. I am sorry but all the GT-R motors are considered to be Very good. The RB26DETT can hold well over 1.2 bar.. I know I do it all the time.. The only issue they had was in the first release of the RB with the crank and oil pump.. they fixed that within 2 years of production.

2. I have the new GT-R.. i actually had one of the first ones in the country.. The car is in my garage with a blown tranny. I might have been one of the first with this issue. My lawyer is in the process of nailing NISSAN to a post.

3. BACK ON THE SUBJECt.

The new GTR feels faster then the new 997TT.. But in no way in hell do i believe the ring time and i agree with Porsche. I am a HUGE GTR FAN.. HUGE.. but less power and heavier.. Sorry you just cant do it..

Also Chevy.. I think you always hated the GTR even prior to this thread.. I remember the last time i was around you were talking smack about it.. ITs a Great car i think and after some time and tranny issues it will be great.. Mind you the tranny is a copy from what i was told of the same engineering of the Buggatti... So go figure that...

BRING ON THE BASHING

Old 11-08-2008, 07:13 PM
YES, HEAVYCHEVY HATES THE GT-R. I dislike it more than any car I can ever say I've disliked before. The STI is ugly, but I dont mind it. Never once have I tried to play a neutral party, there is nothing inconsistent about it.

I hate nissans advertising with the 997 TT
I hate their lying about ring times
I hate their deceptions about LC
I hate the mags who have rigged mag tests
I hate the clueless fanboy drivel (#1)
I hate the PS3 on the dashboard
I hate the interior

There, it's all out now, as if I needed to say it. I dont hate everything about the GT-R, in fact most of the stuff I hate doesnt actually have anything to do with the actual car. I think it's a great looking car with a nice set of wheels. But I dont like that it contradicts everything a true driving enthusiast is looking for. The relationship between car and driver, not car and nannies. In fact if you turn off all the computers and drive, your warranty is void.

I also dont like that people cant see what makes the car fast, and it's not all the gadgets. If everyone designed their car where the tires only needed to get 5k miles, I suspect that the combo of suspension setup changes and different tires would shuffle the GT-R well back in the order.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Me_qwkr
I have the new GT-R.. i actually had one of the first ones in the country.. The car is in my garage with a blown tranny. I might have been one of the first with this issue. My lawyer is in the process of nailing NISSAN to a post.
Welcome to the thread to end all threads.

What was your LC / VDC Off count? How many miles on car when you had the issue?

-Chris

Old 11-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
car mileage was around 1300.. i had the cars vdc off at a track (NOT TIMED) ten minutes tops.. their reason is they say i am not a qualified driver.. So my lawyer is going to make it a "Who is qualified" arguement and what makes me un qualified.

Also in Japan when i was with nissan last year we launched a car over 30 times... No problem.. i really think there is something fishy with the tranny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.