997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:41 AM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Wow 95 pages...well done lol....This car is very polorizing...Every forum Ive been on seems to have marathon threads dedicated to it....

What kills me with the GTR is that there are rwd cars out that have equaled its 0-60 mph times...FGT, Viper, ZR1 etc...Yes they arent as repeatable as the GTR awd allows and they are more expensive but they can be beat on repeatedly without voiding warranty....One tranny failure due to LC and you are in Viper/ZR1 territory moneywise 0-60 is nice stat but LC should have been canned as they obviously knew it was detrimental to the tranny. The car is a canyon carver so not having LC would not have affected its roadcourse prowess imho....

Love the GTR but hate the hype and appearance of impropriety by Nissan as regards LC and the Ring times etc....Thing is that if Nissan reigned in the weight of the car a less sophisticated awd system would have been more than enough to duplicate those 0-60 times without compromizing reliability...Im no engineer obviously but less weight is always a plus for performance and reliability...That being said I would love to have a used one[with zero LC usage..pipe dream lol] in white after Nissan addresses these issues...

Old 11-09-2008, 05:34 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Me_qwkr
car mileage was around 1300.. i had the cars vdc off at a track (NOT TIMED) ten minutes tops.. their reason is they say i am not a qualified driver.. So my lawyer is going to make it a "Who is qualified" arguement and what makes me un qualified.

Also in Japan when i was with nissan last year we launched a car over 30 times... No problem.. i really think there is something fishy with the tranny.

Not a qualified driver? Meaning unqualified to drive on a track? Unless you dont have a liscense, or insurance, which I beleive is mandatory before you drive off the lot, I dont get how this makes sense.

Sounds like they are finding any way possible not to anti up.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Me_qwkr
car mileage was around 1300.. i had the cars vdc off at a track (NOT TIMED) ten minutes tops.. their reason is they say i am not a qualified driver.. So my lawyer is going to make it a "Who is qualified" arguement and what makes me un qualified.

Also in Japan when i was with nissan last year we launched a car over 30 times... No problem.. i really think there is something fishy with the tranny.
Interesting. Did you do the 1000 mile POS inspection before tracking it? I have never heard the "not qualified" argument-- and I don't see reference to that in the warranty, so you may be in good shape legally.

When you say "track" do you mean drag strip or road course?

Do you have a warranty rejection letter from Anna N. at Nissan North America? Would be interesting to see what they put in writing.

What you describe (turning VDC off one time only) would be considered "one" event and should not be considered abuse. Now if you did 10 minutes of continuous LC's perhaps that's a different matter, but it sounds like they track VDC-off events and NOT actual LCs.

Good luck

-Chris

Old 11-09-2008, 10:45 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hmmm... Too many people will be watching and possibly wanting to check out the car this time? Are we supposed to believe in the "no budget" constraint?

>>>>>>>
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=135248?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 #18
Date posted: 11-05-2008
No Nürburgring This Time
Now to get the car to this stage, Nismo had to test and then test again. Mizuno would have loved to test at the GT-R's spiritual home for the last 20 years, the Nürburgring Nordschleife, but couldn't get the Nismo program there due to budget constraints.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
^^^Also check out the $19,000 after-market exhaust. I think these guys are gouging the gullible customers looking for a cheap solution. And a mid 3 second 0-60 time.

>>>>>>>>>>
Passing Gas for $19,000
We can almost comprehend why the handling upgrade costs more than $22,000. We can even hazard a guess as to why those specially designed Recaro seats with unique seat rails and hand-operated reclining function cost around $19,000. But we couldn't help but scratch our heads at the $19,000 price tag for the titanium exhaust system.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
They are basically asking for donations to help pay for the upcoming lawsuits and mass recalls. Meanwhile according to the WSJ Porsche has silently acquired 74% of VW and has turned at least a $10 billion profit for the year.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cannga
Passing Gas for $19,000
We can almost comprehend why the handling upgrade costs more than $22,000. We can even hazard a guess as to why those specially designed Recaro seats with unique seat rails and hand-operated reclining function cost around $19,000. But we couldn't help but scratch our heads at the $19,000 price tag for the titanium exhaust system.
Those Nismo prices are retarded. Lots of cats/exhausts for ~$5K now, and cheaper ones coming.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Blazing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
YES, HEAVYCHEVY HATES THE GT-R. I dislike it more than any car I can ever say I've disliked before. The STI is ugly, but I dont mind it. Never once have I tried to play a neutral party, there is nothing inconsistent about it.

I hate nissans advertising with the 997 TT
I hate their lying about ring times
I hate their deceptions about LC
I hate the mags who have rigged mag tests
I hate the clueless fanboy drivel (#1)
I hate the PS3 on the dashboard
I hate the interior

There, it's all out now, as if I needed to say it. I dont hate everything about the GT-R, in fact most of the stuff I hate doesnt actually have anything to do with the actual car. I think it's a great looking car with a nice set of wheels. But I dont like that it contradicts everything a true driving enthusiast is looking for. The relationship between car and driver, not car and nannies. In fact if you turn off all the computers and drive, your warranty is void.

I also dont like that people cant see what makes the car fast, and it's not all the gadgets. If everyone designed their car where the tires only needed to get 5k miles, I suspect that the combo of suspension setup changes and different tires would shuffle the GT-R well back in the order.
Lol,now am starting to thinking that you actually really like the GTR (Secretly) but your in denial.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:01 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Yesterday I was in Barnes & Noble, and saw the latest issue of EVO magazine. In the issue, they test five or six supercars at the 'ring, trying to set a new production car lap record there. They selected the new Maserati supercar, a Konnigsegg (sp?), a Carrera GT, an Enzo, and one or two others, but no GTR. They had high hopes for the Carrera GT being the fastest because it was pulling the highest G's in a turn. Turns out the Carrera GT was not the fastest but not the slowest either. They did get the Carrera GT at 7:28, though, which I thought was interesting because that now makes it a second faster than Nissan's time for the GTR at the 'ring. And, this was by someone other than a Porsche ace.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:06 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Did they beat 7:22?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:32 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Did they beat 7:22?
No, I believe the fastest car of the bunch ran a 7:24. So I guess the ACR is not yet toppled. I did not purchase the EVO but now I wish I had. It is now on the newsstands however. One of the cars was tubocharged with about 900hp I think, but I don't believe it was the fastest. Perhaps it had something to do with that saying, "Power without grip". I just thought it was interesting that they ran the Carrera faster than Rohl did. But, I guess it just goes to show how much conditions on different days can change things. Traffic, or lack of, may have played a part also.

Last edited by USCCayman; 11-09-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I just looked up Rohl's time in the Carrera GT, and I guess they equaled it.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:06 PM
collecting_pips is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
>>>>>>>>>>
Passing Gas for $19,000
That is just absurd.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
GT-R is evo magazine's Car of the Year; LP560-4 in second place; GT2 in third.

Disappointment of the Year - Porsche PDK gearbox.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
not sure who the letter was from.. my laywer has it now.. i can ask if it helps.. But the thing is i literally got this car prior to offical release because of my involvement with somethings.. (not going to get into it).

Either way... I was on a road track near my house when i blew the tranny.. literally it just stop working. They said that your not allowed to have the VDC off for to long thats its only ment to help you to get out of certain situations.. They gave me a list of ****. But i pointed out that i NEVER signed that bull**** Warranty single page ****.. I bought the car out right and the dealer made mistakes on ****.. LONG LONG Story.. but Nissan at the end will have to pay.. Or i get a sick as OS giken custom set up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.