997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I saw a p-car do this to a GTR two weeks ago

Old 11-12-2008, 02:37 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
I saw a p-car do this to a GTR two weeks ago

Old 11-12-2008, 03:09 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jaeS4
C'mon people! We're going for 100 pages. Here we go, GTR is better than 997tt.
Oh jaeS4, you're just running around with your head in the clouds.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
As predicted, as reality sets in, the hype surrounding the GTR is dying out and leaving real life in it's place. The GTR, from what I can see, is no longer referred to as frequently in the press as it was, nor is it described with the superlatives once heaped on it. This is just the same thing that happened with the Audi R8, whose reign was short-lived due to the release of the GTR. And now, the GTR will join the long line of contenders to the throne. If the 911 has a threat, it is from within it's own bloodline. The Cayman, if given enough power, DFI, and PDK, would give the 911 a run for the money.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Whoa, this website just changed format.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Pak317 is infamous around these parts
My perspective on the GTR vs the 997 TT is like comparing a chubby girl that's a great lay vs having a hot chick that's just may be just as good or even a better lay. In a moment of desperation I may choose/consider the chubby chick....... but only for a moment!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
As predicted, as reality sets in, the hype surrounding the GTR is dying out and leaving real life in it's place. The GTR, from what I can see, is no longer referred to as frequently in the press as it was, nor is it described with the superlatives once heaped on it. This is just the same thing that happened with the Audi R8, whose reign was short-lived due to the release of the GTR. And now, the GTR will join the long line of contenders to the throne.
Nope, the plaudits keep rolling in. Just named evo magazine's Car of the Year, beating LP560-4 and GT2.

If the 911 has a threat, it is from within it's own bloodline. The Cayman, if given enough power, DFI, and PDK, would give the 911 a run for the money.
Yes - which is why it is never going to happen.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:52 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Pak317
My perspective on the GTR vs the 997 TT is like comparing a chubby girl that's a great lay vs having a hot chick that's just may be just as good or even a better lay. In a moment of desperation I may choose/consider the chubby chick....... but only for a moment!

Great analogy

Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Trommel
Nope, the plaudits keep rolling in. Just named evo magazine's Car of the Year, beating LP560-4 and GT2.

Yes - which is why it is never going to happen.
I know about EVO. I still say that the hype is going away. It won't be long. Heck, Garage 419 called the GTR an "Epic Fail" because of the launch control. And, there will be other attempts by other manufacturers. With Porsche's wealth and resources, others will find it difficult to keep up.

Last edited by USCCayman; 11-12-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:16 AM
Banned
Garage 419 called the GTR an "Epic Fail"
Who?

As has been debated to death, Porsche's problem is the 911 platform. They have developed a great car from a fundamentally flawed design, but how much further can they go?

It's clear that the Cayman has a far better chassis (which is hardly surprising when it doesn't have the engine hanging way outside the wheelbase), but the 911 is their icon.

Will they be brave enough to move on (the 928 was intended to be a 911 replacement, remember)?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:17 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Pak317
That's a little unfair - the TT doesn't look that bad.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Who?

As has been debated to death, Porsche's problem is the 911 platform. They have developed a great car from a fundamentally flawed design, but how much further can they go?

It's clear that the Cayman has a far better chassis (which is hardly surprising when it doesn't have the engine hanging way outside the wheelbase), but the 911 is their icon.

Will they be brave enough to move on (the 928 was intended to be a 911 replacement, remember)?

You mean the fundamentally flawed design that's the winngest chassis in GT racing history.

or

The fundamentally challenged chassis that sells the most race cars in the world.

or

The fundamentally challenged chassis that's won 7 of 9 ALMS championships vs front and mid engine cars from the other top manufacturers.

Just want to know which one you are talking about.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:39 AM
Banned
Yes, that's the one - the one which is a triumph of development over design.

If you were designing a clean-sheet racing car, would you hang the single heaviest component outside the wheelbase, behind the back axle line?

Old 11-13-2008, 06:07 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
LOL, so I guess Porsche is that much more developed than the likes of Ferrari that they can take a rear engine and run circles around a mid engine? While still having a worse weight/power ratio?

Someone at some point did design a clean sheet racing car with a rear engine, and to this day it's still kicking front and mid engine cars around in racing. Sometimes doing something different actually works because it fits the intended purpose. This is one of them.

The results speak for themselves.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Banned
Take off the blinkers.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
While still having a worse weight/power ratio?
You mean like the car you've been attempting to discredit for the last year? I thought power-to-weight ratio was the be-all-and-end-all of lap times?

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Someone at some point did design a clean sheet racing car with a rear engine, and to this day it's still kicking front and mid engine cars around in racing. Sometimes doing something different actually works because it fits the intended purpose. This is one of them.

The results speak for themselves.
The results speak for themselves despite the compromised layout, not because of it.

Last edited by Trommel; 11-13-2008 at 06:21 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.