997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Take off the blinkers.

You mean like the car you've been attempting to discredit for the last year? I thought power-to-weight ratio was the be-all-and-end-all of lap times?

The results speak for themselves despite the compromised layout, not because of it.

The weight to power difference is .1-.2 which at 2300 and 2500 lbs is about 30-40 lbs. Not 300 and 700 lbs. Nice try though einstein.

The 911 has been winning long enough for much of it's success to be due to it actually being rear engine. And there are abilities of the platform that arent available in others. While the disadvantages of the platform can be corrected through engineering, the advantages arent so readily duplicated.

Doesnt quite sound like "despite of" to me.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
And there are abilities of the platform that arent available in others.
Traction, if it's RWD. What else?

While the disadvantages of the platform can be corrected through engineering
Yes, they could put the engine somewhere more sensible.

the advantages arent so readily duplicated.
Of course they are - just fill the boot/trunk with bags of cement.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:20 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I think it is pretty clear that in the hands of a seasoned 911 pilot, the rear engine placement offers characteristics that can be exploited to advantage that are not present in front and mid-engined cars. This is the reason the car is so succesful in racing. 99% of us will never develop our skills to that extent (I wish I had the time and resources to do so). That is why the GTR appears to be the faster of the two. It is easier for most of us to drive at or near the limits in then GTR. In the hands of the lucky 1% (HC, for example,), I'm betting the 911TT is faster than the GTR around the ring. I love my Cayman S because it makes me look like I'm better than I am because it is so easy to drive fast and very forgiving. With the right horsepower, the Cayman would be a formidable in house opponent to the Turbo.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Banned
Trommel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
It is easier for most of us to drive at or near the limits in then GTR.
Agreed.

In the hands of the lucky 1% (HC, for example,), I'm betting the 911TT is faster than the GTR around the ring.
No chance.

With the right horsepower, the Cayman would be a formidable in house opponent to the Turbo.
Agreed.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trommel
Traction, if it's RWD. What else?

Yes, they could put the engine somewhere more sensible.

Of course they are - just fill the boot/trunk with bags of cement.
You say traction as if it's not the fundamental base of racing. Everything begins and ends with it. And dont you mean RE, not RWD?

More sensible? HAHAHA, that's a joke right? There are too many trophy's credited to Porsche in racing that make your stupid statement even stupider.

Bags of cement will move around, and no one will allow enough ballast to make as much difference as RE with SUSPENSION DESIGNED FOR RE. I dont know of any front engine cars with suspension designed for front engine + cement bags. You continue to amaze.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
LOL, so I guess Porsche is that much more developed than the likes of Ferrari that they can take a rear engine and run circles around a mid engine? While still having a worse weight/power ratio?

Someone at some point did design a clean sheet racing car with a rear engine, and to this day it's still kicking front and mid engine cars around in racing. Sometimes doing something different actually works because it fits the intended purpose. This is one of them.

The results speak for themselves.
So that's why Formula 1 cars have the engine in the middle and not the back, cos having it in the back will make them too fast?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Quacker
So that's why Formula 1 cars have the engine in the middle and not the back, cos having it in the back will make them too fast?
AHH ANOTHER IDIOT COMES TO JOIN IN!! YAY!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
the real **** of nissan

Attached Images      
Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Banned
Quacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these partsQuacker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
AHH ANOTHER IDIOT COMES TO JOIN IN!! YAY!
Thanks for the warm welcome

Old 11-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Does this look like the middle of the car to you?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

formula1 cars are about as close to street cars as UFO's are to airplanes.

Lemans GT class cars are the closest thin to street cars there is, so if you know anything about F1 cars and their engines you will realize that they have nothing to do with real cars. If you want to look at technology transfer to street cars then look at forms of racing that use the same or similar engines, like Lemans, IMSA, the old SCCA, etc. Even NASCAR is closer to street than F1.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the warm welcome
Anytime...If you expect to come on this 997TT thread and speak poorly of design then you get the welcome you get.

We are more in-tune and informed than you think.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Does this look like the middle of the car to you?

Looks like Middle if you extended the rear back about 4 more feet

YAY 100!!!!!!!! This is a Historic Day in the many historic moments this month!! HAHA

Old 11-13-2008, 09:29 AM
jaeS4 is infamous around these parts
LOL, so I guess Porsche is that much more developed than the likes of Ferrari that they can take a rear engine and run circles around a mid engine? While still having a worse weight/power ratio?

Someone at some point did design a clean sheet racing car with a rear engine, and to this day it's still kicking front and mid engine cars around in racing. Sometimes doing something different actually works because it fits the intended purpose. This is one of them.

The results speak for themselves.
If that is the case, So how come F1 cars are mid-engined and Ferrari have dominated the F1 for several years. If i'm not mistaken the 917's and 956's where mid engined. And the CGT which IMO is Porsche's best supercar and one of the best supercar ever is also mid engine. So exactly what rear engine race car that is kicking *** in any racing?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaeS4
If that is the case, So how come F1 cars are mid-engined and Ferrari have dominated the F1 for several years. If i'm not mistaken the 917's and 956's where mid engined. And the CGT which IMO is Porsche's best supercar and one of the best supercar ever is also mid engine. So exactly what rear engine race car that is kicking *** in any racing?

how about the lemans and american gt2/gt3 class. Look at the overall wins and you will see that the 911 has dominated this class for quite sometime. This is against it's main rival Ferrari, as well as all the other makes involved, and pretty much all other makes are involved in this class. The porsche Flat 6 is also the winningest lemans engine of all time. period.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.